Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
mliang Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I'm looking for a pair of pants for being generally outdoors. I have a Sitka Timberline and love the weight, stretchy fabric, waterproof seat and knees features but it gets thorn pricks easily. Are there other pants that are a little more durable that are not waxed canvas heavy?

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
First Lite Sawbuck pant. They are lightweight, unreal durable, and work very well. They've been put through the ringer here in southern AZ...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm not as big of a KUIU fan as many; however, I really do like their Attack pants. They're having a big sale right now and those pants are now 26% off and priced at $109.99. That's not bad. I don't know how long the sale lasts; but, here's the link if you are interested: https://www.kuiu.com/products/attack-pant-verde-camouflage-1?variant=40481331740830

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
M
mliang Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I have an attack pants and they are comfortable but also don't do well on durability. Gets pulls easily.

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by mliang
I have an attack pants and they are comfortable but also don't do well on durability. Gets pulls easily.

Agree. Attack pants aren't a brush buster. I love the attack pants but they are not in the same class or even close regarding durability compared to the Sawbuck....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Greg is correct, he turned me onto em, got 3 pairs now, they fend off our briars, devils club etc pretty damn good. Our briar will absolutely shred attack pants and the like. 👊🏻

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'll have to try the Sawbuck pants. Fortunately, I've had better luck with the Attacks than you guys. However, I'm not wrangling briars usually as I'm just dealing with mountains and deadfall so far with no complaints. When pheasant and grouse hunting I've been wearing my old 90% pants. I am a huge First Lite fan; but, have not tried the Sawbucks. I'll give them a shot. I can't have too many.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
M
mliang Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Not looking to fend off briars. I do have waxed cotton for those, but they are not as comfortable. If the attacks and timberline resisted pulls better they would be perfect.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Ya for Montana, Idaho, eastern wa and Oregon etc you don’t need tough like Oregon/Washington coast range, Arizona. Fuuck I looked like someone shot me multiple times with a 17 hmr in the legs after Arizona. Lotsa shiit will getcha. Wa the briars etc aren’t as long but they shred the shiit outta coats/pants. Try em you won’t be disappointed

Ain’t easy havin pals.
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Ya I’ve spent a fair amount a time in filson tin riggin. Tough, but uncomfortable and noisy

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am fond of the Wrangler ATG Hunter Upland pants. They are also a adequate substitute for chaps.

https://www.wrangler.com/shop/atg-hunter-mens-upland-pantdenim-wash4430-NS101DN%3A44%3A30.html?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=shopping&utm_content=pla&utm_term=NS101DN:44:30&gclid=EAIaIQobChMInOO3_PeV-wIVtB-tBh2s4wRSEAQYASABEgL9o_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like the First Lite Sawbuck and for drier climates the 5.11 Stryke work really well. The Prana Zion pants have done a pretty good job for me on a lot of hunts, ranging from Alaska goats, Mexico Coues, and everything in between in the Rockies.

I’ve worn the 5.11’s for a couple Coues hunts in Mexico as well as for brush busting drives in PA & WV. I’ve tried to kill them but it’s hard to do. It’s a poly & cotton blend so I wouldn’t not recommend for backpack hunts where rain & snow are expected.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I use 511 pants as part of my SAR team uniform. They are expensive, but no more so than the others. The Stryke pants are a little heavier pants with larger cargo pockets.

https://tacticalgear.com/511-stryke-pants-black~1

The Apex pants are thinner and lighter weight with more subdued cargo pockets. They are also a little trimmer fitting.
https://tacticalgear.com/511-apex-pants-black#/23738/0,0,18580/1

Both are made with a cotton/synthetic blend and have some stretch to them. We wear khaki with our uniform, but I like them well enough that I have brown and green that I hunt/hike in

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I just ordered the FL sawbucks on their sale, I'm very happy with my other FL items.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think the Kuiu Kutana pant might warrant a look. Not heavy and more resistant to snags than the attack. Have the Timberline pants as well and love them for later season.

Do or do not, there is no try.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Does anybody actually use the cargo pockets on any of these pants? Or am I the only one that despises random crap bouncing against my legs all day long?

My ideal pant is going to be regular ol' straight leg jean cut pant with no additional leg pockets in a tech fabric.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I typically don’t travel long distances with a lot of stuff in the cargo pockets, but when you need a place to stash something short term, they come in handy.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Calvin
I tropically don’t travel long distances with a lot of stuff in the cargo pockets, but when you need a place to stash something short term, they come in handy.

Same here.

M
mliang Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
What does everyone think of Duluth Firehose Pants? Jeans or canvas type material is what I think I'm looking for.
Love my prion pants but it's a little on light side. Great for summer.
I like cargo pockets bit not the oversized ones. Keep my phone or wallet sized objects is perfect. Much bigger it gets annoying.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Kuhl is good. Kiui pants are good also.

Montana MOFO
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pantalones/Pant-a-loonies.....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mliang
What does everyone think of Duluth Firehose Pants? Jeans or canvas type material is what I think I'm looking for.

97% cotton if that matters to you...

Heck of a sale right now on their 5 pocket fire hose pants.

$21 for one color, $34 for another.

Duluth Fire Hose Pant

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

180 members (257_X_50, 19rabbit52, 16penny, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 24 invisible), 1,937 guests, and 913 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,172
Posts18,465,369
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.