Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Fireball2
We've gotten snow early this year. I'm heading up tomorrow to see if the bears are heading uphill to den yet. Since deer tag is filled and elk isn't open yet it's bear and cougar. Either one will do but not anxious to shoot anything, Freezers are full.

Tracked this guy to his denning area and tried calling him in, no bueno.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

LOL
GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Litterly here. Back in July, I had a health problem and had to turn my elk tag in.I I kept a deer tag out in eastern Colorado north of Burlington.

Last Wednesday I was feeling pretty good, so I drove out 130 miles and 2000 feet lower in elevation. I had an invite to stay in a buddy's camp trailer he keeps parked on his BIL's land.

Saturday morning, my mind was saying "you can do this" . By Sunday afternoon, my body was saying "What the hell are you doing out here". I came home Monday morning, not doing well. I saw one buck, then a doe and a fawn Sunday out of the corn they were combining.

Not doing much this week.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Litterly here. Back in July, I had a health problem and had to turn my elk tag in.I I kept a deer tag out in eastern Colorado north of Burlington.

Last Wednesday I was feeling pretty good, so I drove out 130 miles and 2000 feet lower in elevation. I had an invite to stay in a buddy's camp trailer he keeps parked on his BIL's land.

Saturday morning, my mind was saying "you can do this" . By Sunday afternoon, my body was saying "What the hell are you doing out here". I came home Monday morning, not doing well. I saw one buck, then a doe and a fawn Sunday out of the corn they were combining.

Not doing much this week.

Hope you feel better soon.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Saddlesore, Sorry to hear you aren't feeling well. I hunted up there also and deer numbers are as low as I have seen. I've hunted it since 1996. So I don't think you missed much.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by centershot
Killed a cow elk with 2 days left in the archery season. Plenty of elk, but tough stalking conditions - hot and dry. I also spent 1/2 of the season helping my son and his friend who drew premier tags fill theirs. Deer hunting: saw lots of deer ~60 in 1 1/2days of hunting a dozen or so small 2 or 3 points but nothing exciting. Was going to return for the last few days hoping the weather would cool but had a heart attack and spent the last few days in the hospital. Recovering well and may go on a late archery hunt for mule deer. Overall game numbers seemed about average to maybe a little better where I hunt.

Ha! You talk about that heart attack like it was a flat tire.

Way to go.

My second - ain't braggin..........but, I may be on limited time so I plan on making the most of it.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by T_Inman
This year was a rough one....

I ate tags for mountain caribou, wolf, elk, mule deer, dall sheep, moose and black bear. Some of them I put a LOT of time and effort into, others not so much. Passed some small spike deer, mountain caribou and such, so I guess I did have some opportunity. I did get a boar griz and just yesterday FINALLY found a caribou to shoot.

I know a lot of people's seasons haven't started yet but for those whose have, anyone else find they zigged whenever the critters zagged this year?
Hey T, sorry to hear about your luck this year. So far my season has been productive and will hopefully continue to be so. Since misery loves company, unless I decide to change my ways and become a poacher, I too will definitely NOT get a caribou, wolf, dall sheep or moose this year.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Got ass kicked in sheep and moose hunts. Did manage to knock down a couple caribou.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hanco
Bow season is a bust, acorns out the ass, probably first half of rifle season will be too

Wish I had a bunch of those acorns to scatter on my hunting area. The crop was a bust here. Only place I heard any dropping was right next to the parking lot, about 150’ lower than the ridge I hunt when they’re good. The buck I whiffed with my crossbow was eating (I think) the tops of the wild sunflowers that grow in a meadow I sit over. He was really working them over.

What fresh Hell is this?
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Mine was kicked a good deal off and on by gout. Jammed my tie joint in an injury and it irritated my gout. Still managed to get out some behind the house. Ran into a large herd of cows , few deer and this year lots of cats.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yesterday I was diagnosed with tricompartmental osteoarthritis (fancy name for real bad knees) and referred for spine surgery which is causing pain in many other places in my lower body.
I have very little chance of getting anywhere near a public land bull during 3rd season next week.
... BUT 2 years ago I had a checkmate shot, 40 yards, on a nice bull on Wyoming public land and I was just as crippled then as I am now. Unfortunately I was holding a cow tag.

Last edited by Alamosa; 11/10/22.
IC B3

O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Looking for a recipe for a cow elk tag myself!

Perhaps Mrs. Mule Deer could include a chapter on tag prep?

Had fun and learned stuff so not so bad, all in all.

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
Just getting ready to go again. The next few months will tell the tale.

Waterfowl were tough in Nodak. Don't go there to play with skittish birds. Oh well, it wasnt without some success.

As I left Nodak, headed to Montana. Weather got cold and snow came hard. Visibility was garbage. Only saw 2 legal bulls on public in 6 days. Both escaped as I was making a play. Saw a bunch of cows and spikes. Ate a deer tag too. Hardly saw a buck worth shooting. Wolf tag also came home with me, but that's not unusual.

I can't complain. Coulda been working and still have some elk meat in the freezer from last year.

Last edited by TimberRunner; 11/13/22.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
T Inman: Good luck on that archery Moose Hunt.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Had hernia surgery Oct. 20, no heavy lifting, dragging, especially dragging or lifting deer for 4 to 6 months. Missed most of muzzleloader season in N.C and western Va. already, and rifle season until first of Dec. First time in fifty years I've not hunted the first week of the season. Bucks chasing does everywhere and I'm sitting at home. That a kick in the ass!

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
My Colorado elk hunt thoroughly kicked my azz. It brought me to the realization that I am too old, fat, and wore out for such. My knees are shot and it took me twice as long going uphill and four times as long going downhill. I did manage to get a 5x5 bull in one of my favorite spots. The deer kicked my azz by their lack of presence. In 8 days I didn’t see one buck that I would shoot at. A couple of guys shot bucks that I was thinking “really?” While telling them “nice buck”. I had a scrawny racked 3x3 walk right up close begging me to shoot him, but I declined.
In summary, I’ve got a long overdue orthopedic appointment Nov 30. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
If not even going out means, “getting your @$$ kicked”……we qualify! Got a “left over” license in a very bad area. I now know why there were left overs! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Tag soup for me this past elk hunt. Just could not connect with a cow. Had more than ample opportunities for a nice bull. Just no tag. Plan for next year! 👍

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Daughter and I just got back form 8 days in the Bear Lodge Mountains in the WY Black Hills. The weather really kicked our butts. 10 inches of snow, real high winds and temps as low as 8 below made for a real tough hunt. Spent way too much time on firewood for the wood stove.
Game and fish need to take a real serious look at the tag numbers next year for region A. Two consecutive years of EHD has really cut the herd. Know of only three deer taken in that area. Saw three bucks and one of those was running across the road after dark.

Tag soup for us but still enjoyed the time. It was daughters first ever deer hunt and she learned a lot!

Thanks to the guys here that helped me out with 257 bullets. Without the help it would have been difficult. It was really appreciated guys!

Bill

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
This has been a terrible year for us. Rain kept us out of our elk area at the beginning of the season and our trailer developed a gas leak so couldn't turn the heat on which led to the water freezing the next week and just this last Sunday I slid off a mountain road and got stuck in a drift. Broke the brake line and the 4WD getting out and had a pucker factor 7 drive out of the mountains with no brakes. 1 whitetail doe is all we have to show for it. I wonder if God is trying to tell me something.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The weather and the deer kicked me and my buddy’s ass on state forest land in NY for the last 5 days. Came home empty handed but enjoyed the time hunting anyway. I did finally see a legal buck(about 5 to 6” spikes)yesterday. He harassed a little yearling doe past me at about 25 yards, grunting and nose licking the whole way. She was having none of it. Had the scope on him and grinned, telling them both they don’t know how lucky they are today. Then I thought…just like typical teenagers…he’s got the pedal down, and she’s braking for all she’s worth! Better luck next year!

Doc_Holidude

Livin ain’t killed me yet, but it’s workin on it!
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1936M71, 163bc, 204guy, 70 invisible), 2,633 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,541
Posts18,453,118
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.