Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
BubbaG Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I am looking to purchase my first rimfire magnum bolt action rifle with a heavy barrel in either 22 wmr or 17 hmr. I am wanting to keep it under $400. I am looking hard at savages. Marlin seems to have gotten out of the game. It will mostly be used for punching paper out to 200yds. Might try it on squirrels if the opportunity arises. I am sure there have been long discussions of this in the past but I can't decide between 22 wmr and 17 hmr. I am kind of old school and want the 22 wmr but the 17 hmr has made a name for itself. Also, not sure which rifle is best or if there are any other brands of rifles I should consider in that price range. I know if I go a little higher I could get a CZ or Ruger American but would they actually be better for what I want to use it for?

2 Kings 2:23-24
GB1

O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
I’m a CZ junkie. I’d be patient and see if I could find a CZ at a reasonable price. My CZ 452 was very accurate with CCI Maxi Mag. The only reason I sold it was that the cost of ammunition kept going up to what I thought was was unacceptable territory.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
I waited several years to try a 17, but now I'm hooked.

My Salvage is gonna be hard to beat accuracy wise, but the magazines give me a bit of trouble at times & think they will continue to do so. With that in mind I just bought a Ruger American Predator. They can be had within your budget if you shop around.

OTOH, the 22 mag has served lot of folks well & while I've not run the numbers, the newer Vmax loaded ammo might be a game changer. That giving the cartridge more velocity, & bucking the wind better than the 17.

Either are useful, & ammo is slowly going down in price.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Punching paper or an occasional squirrel is right up the 17 alley. The WMR is typically not as accurate, and its advantage in killing larger vermin is something you would not be missing.

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
Savage in that price range

and 17hmr, took me years to finally buy one, picked up a tikka t1x, love it. But its a little north of 400.

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Hard to beat CZ for current production rimfires. If you can find a nice older marlin in 22 mag, they are consistent shooters IMHO

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'd recommend looking for a used Marlin in the 900 series as the 900 series has a trigger upgrade over the previous 700 and 800 series rifles.

All of the newer Marlin rimfires that I've owned in 17HM2, 17HMR, .22LR, AND .22MAG have all been good shooters. The Marlins are also a little larger than the comparable Savage 93 and 93R17 series rifles, more "man sized", if that makes a difference to you.

My experience with Ruger American rimfires has been, to say the least, disappointing.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Savage 93R17 gets my vote. Great rifle, great trigger. I have 4 rifles and one revolver in .17HMR, it is a round well worth investing in.

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Good stuff here. Cz or Marlin. But I have never used the Savage line.

Molon Labe
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
For punching paper, go with the 17HMR. They're far more accurate than the 22WMR's. But I prefer the 22WMR for hunting bigger varmints.

IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
If accuracy is important, avoid Rugers.

NRA Patron
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by dale06
Totally disagree with this statement. Have and standard american in 22 magnum, and it's a tack driver. Dad uses it for everything except deer. I have an older marlin 25m that's is nice but not near as accurate as the ruger. Know of several others with the rugers and they are all just as accurate. As of with the 17 vs 22 mag I would take the 22 mag over the 17 anyday if just hunting with it.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by JENKINS9
Totally disagree with this statement. Have and standard american in 22 magnum, and it's a tack driver. Dad uses it for everything except deer. I have an older marlin 25m that's is nice but not near as accurate as the ruger. Know of several others with the rugers and they are all just as accurate. As of with the 17 vs 22 mag I would take the 22 mag over the 17 anyday if just hunting with it.

Glad yours are accurate.
I had two 22 mag and after trigger work, bolt shims, re crown, glass bedding, they didn’t shoot worth a damn, with several brands of 22 mag ammo. I wouldn’t rescue from a land fill.

Last edited by dale06; 11/04/22.

NRA Patron
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

My Ruger American 22 WMR is the most accurate 22WMR I've shot in 40 years.

What if Jessie's girl is Stacy's mom, and her phone number is 867-5309
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

Glad yours are accurate.
I had two 22 mag and after trigger work, bolt shims, re crown, glass bedding, they didn’t shoot worth a damn, with several brands of 22 mag ammo. I wouldn’t rescue from a land fill.

It sounds like you were using 77/22's, and the guy you quoted is discussing the American.

What if Jessie's girl is Stacy's mom, and her phone number is 867-5309
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Dave_Spn

Glad yours are accurate.

It sounds like you were using 77/22's, and the guy you quoted is discussing the American.

I've never been terribly impressed withe the 77/22's or Amercian rimfires I've owned.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I'd recommend looking for a used Marlin in the 900 series as the 900 series has a trigger upgrade over the previous 700 and 800 series rifles.

All of the newer Marlin rimfires that I've owned in 17HM2, 17HMR, .22LR, AND .22MAG have all been good shooters. The Marlins are also a little larger than the comparable Savage 93 and 93R17 series rifles, more "man sized", if that makes a difference to you.

My experience with Ruger American rimfires has been, to say the least, disappointing.

^^^This^^^

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
BubbaG: Go with the Marlin line - the savage rimfires are accurate but wreak of chinceyness and cheapness and sloppiness and homeliness.
My Marlin 883 in 22 Magnum is VERY accurate and not so homely.
Good luck with whichever you choose - and if you can scrounge up some more dollars the heavy barrel Browning T-Bolt of mine in 22 Magnum is just lights out accurate.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BubbaG
I am looking to purchase my first rimfire magnum bolt action rifle with a heavy barrel in either 22 wmr or 17 hmr. I am wanting to keep it under $400. I am looking hard at savages. Marlin seems to have gotten out of the game. It will mostly be used for punching paper out to 200yds. Might try it on squirrels if the opportunity arises. I am sure there have been long discussions of this in the past but I can't decide between 22 wmr and 17 hmr. I am kind of old school and want the 22 wmr but the 17 hmr has made a name for itself. Also, not sure which rifle is best or if there are any other brands of rifles I should consider in that price range. I know if I go a little higher I could get a CZ or Ruger American but would they actually be better for what I want to use it for?

17HMR, if those are your requirements. Savage is a great option. 93R17's are excellent shooters and function very well. Since coyotes are not on your list, the 17HMR is the surefire winner. To answer your question about other rifles being "better" than the savage. They are on par, yet more expensive. I know the Ruger American is not going to be better, as they have had some QC issues and some guys have had problems with the 17HMR RAR. YMMV, but I'd trust the Savage to do it all and at a great value.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dave_Spn

My Ruger American 22 WMR is the most accurate 22WMR I've shot in 40 years.

They are not a bad rifle, but my Mossberg 640kd Chuckster is more precise.. Also, as someone else said, the older Marlins shot well. Other 22WMR's, not so much..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (10ring1, 160user, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 12344mag, 55 invisible), 2,666 guests, and 1,145 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,216
Posts18,466,311
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.