Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I uh.......uh........go both ways.

If my freezer's empty, I have zero issue shooting a spike or whatever I see that is legal. Other times, especially when flights are involved and dealing with the meat is a total PIA, I head hunt. I do and like both and factor a lot of bird hunting into the equation.

It ain't no sh:t that for what I spend in fuel and tags, I could eat steak and lobster every day at a hell of a nice resturant. Instead, I eat like crap and sleep under a tree a lot. I drink cheap beer by choice though, `cause I ain't no hi-fallutin, proper and refined redneck.

Heading out in the morning to set more wolverine traps and kill more ptarmigan. If I eat at all, it'll be a gas station burrito, `cause I am classy like that.

Besides classy, you’re a sexy mofo too ~ when you’re wearing lace panties.

Ribeye for elk camp.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

🦫

Where's all that fresh buck backstrap??? Its soooooo good, sure you got elk meat?

Haha god damn

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
BP-B2

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
GPS coordinates requested for elk ⛺️

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by drop_point
My goal is typically to take a mature animal. I don't necessarily care to take the biggest rack and won't spend countless hours in search of a specific animal. I shoot the first mature animal I see. Usually, mature animals will have a larger rack AND they will provide more meat. Myself, I don't have a problem with what others do so long as it isn't creating a problem for somebody else.

I generally head hunt similarly...ie, I look for a "good" animal but don't give a damn about inches (of antler at least). The issue here is that lots of strict head hunters do feel you're creating a problem for somebody else by shooting small bucks and definitions of "too small" vary widely. Conversely, by only shooting trophies some feel that makes anti hunters hate the sport more, so again you're creating a problem for somebody else by head hunting. Everyone seems to have a different thought process concerning how critters should or should not be managed. I see arguments about it all the time and am fascinated by so many points of view.

Mostly here on the Oregon Coast, the Blacktail do all right. There’s more bucks that are never seen by anyone. Frick’n nocturnal demons, or as they’re called ‘ghosts’.

Doe hunting is what stirs up emotions for some people. Shoot a doe, you just killed a potential fawn producer.

I imagine in places where animal density is lower, hunters would have stronger feelings about shooting a fork or doe.

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Judman
I uh.......uh........go both ways.

If my freezer's empty, I have zero issue shooting a spike or whatever I see that is legal. Other times, especially when flights are involved and dealing with the meat is a total PIA, I head hunt. I do and like both and factor a lot of bird hunting into the equation.

It ain't no sh:t that for what I spend in fuel and tags, I could eat steak and lobster every day at a hell of a nice resturant. Instead, I eat like crap and sleep under a tree a lot. I drink cheap beer by choice though, `cause I ain't no hi-fallutin, proper and refined redneck.

Heading out in the morning to set more wolverine traps and kill more ptarmigan. If I eat at all, it'll be a gas station burrito, `cause I am classy like that.

Besides classy, you’re a sexy mofo too ~ when you’re wearing lace panties.

Ribeye for elk camp.

🦫

Where's all that fresh buck backstrap??? Its soooooo good, sure you got elk meat?

Haha god damn

Wifey, and I already ate half of one strap. It was awesome!

We’ll do up a full strap in marinade and BBQ it for the hunting crew.

9 days of meals means more than just eating deer meat. Gotta have a selection.

I’m outta elk steak ~ ate all of it. Have some summer sausage still, but not much.

Why do you love deer hunting so much, if you can’t stand to eat it? You eat the elk or bear you kill?

#Killar

Lol

🦫

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Nestucca
GPS coordinates requested for elk ⛺️

I’m easy to find.

😬🦫

“Molon Labe”
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
And that's exactly why I said in the beginning, NO-ONE, hunts for meat nowadays, especially me or beaver10. Again, if a guy eats it, ill never biitch, especially when, especially in our state, bear, cougar, wolves and every other predator goes unchecked. 👍 bet your ass, ill never squeal.

Wait, what?

Oh…Okay, I see what you meant.

Yeah, I don’t have to hunt meat to survive. But we do like the Blacktail, elk, and antelope I’ve shot.

Being honest…Is deer or elk straps better than a Grade Prime ribeye?

Um, Fûck No!

But we do eat what I shoot, including ducks, and upland birds.

🦫

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Jud,

Try this on Blacktail. It simple.

I’m not a fan of Mule Deer, unless the pig has been eating grain and alfalfa all year. Sage brush eaters ~ I’ll pass.

🦫

“Molon Labe”
J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
I hunt because I love hunting. The whole experience. The preseason preparation, scouting, building stands, placing and checking trail cams, hanging out at deer camp, ect. I was taught as a kid to shoot the first legal deer that I saw. I Started hunting with my grandfather. He lived on a farm, we ate everything we hunted. Deer, rabbit, squirrel, game birds, nothing went to waste. When we killed a deer the first thing we ate was the liver and heart, my grandfather even scrambled up the brains with eggs. That was over 50 years ago. For many years I hunted like I was taught. So I guess you could consider that meat hunting. As years past, I started letting deer walk and chasing Bucks with big headgear. So I guess I became a headhunter. After putting some pretty nice ones on the wall, I'm done chasing trophies. Sure, I still like to see a big Buck. But now I usually Shoot the first legal mature Doe I see early in the season. Put one in the freezer. Then I'm happy to get a shot at anything that's a big six point or better. So I guess I have been both, a meat hunter and a head hunter. Now I'm just a Hunter and still love it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We switched to being elk meat hunters 10 years ago. Bull tags are hard to get while we can hunt cows every year. I'd rather hunt every year than wait for that elusive bull tag just to shoot a pointy head.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
My tags, my hunt, I’ll shoot or not and don’t need to defend my decisions.

I don’t care what others choose to shoot either, or why.

As long as it’s legal and ethical, do your thing and hunt/shoot what you want.

If I see a cow elk here in a little bit I’ll shoot my second elk for the year in wyoming. Going to have to be close, wind is honking up to 60 mph.

Last edited by BuzzH; 11/05/22.
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R

Both for me, I like to eat them and have never thrown a horn away.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I got to disagree with part of the OP's definition. I put just as much planning, scouting,preparation hunting for cows. I have some pretty nice heads hanging on the wall, but I never passed up a legal elk, cow or bull.It took me 21 years to draw a tag in a coveted 25 tag unit in Colorado but I killed bulls or cows every one of these 21years.

If you don't do all these in Colorado there is good chance you will go home empty handed. "They are constantly looking, consumed by maps, overlays of food/water sources, terrain, elevation, and accessible public land…It’s like they have a terminal illness. I think a more accurate description is an addiction. An addiction in pursuit of something special, and the reward in the end for the effort put into hunting the animal". .

I use to tell people I was trophy hunting when I went home with an unpunched tag.

If you took whatever walked by on the last day of the hunt, you are meat hunter no matter how many animals you passed up in the preceding days.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
And that's exactly why I said in the beginning, NO-ONE, hunts for meat nowadays, especially me or beaver10. Again, if a guy eats it, ill never biitch, especially when, especially in our state, bear, cougar, wolves and every other predator goes unchecked. 👍 bet your ass, ill never squeal.

Wait, what?

Oh…Okay, I see what you meant.

Yeah, I don’t have to hunt meat to survive. But we do like the Blacktail, elk, and antelope I’ve shot.

Being honest…Is deer or elk straps better than a Grade Prime ribeye?

Um, Fûck No!

But we do eat what I shoot, including ducks, and upland birds.

🦫

I like buck huntin for the hunt, as you say, the little nocturnal demons. Elk are easy to kill by comparison, mature western wa or nw Oregon, if a guy can kill one yearly, you’re doin something right. As I said earlier, I hunt I like huntin bucks for the hunt, not the meat. Buck I killed last week, pard got backstraps, guy at work got the tenderloin. Rest is pepperoni/sausage fodder in the freezer. Deer killed next in Montana will more than likely be left with my pard I stay with over there for his family. I really do wish deer were solid angus ribeyes though!!! 😆

#killar

I like that👊🏻

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Jud,

Try this on Blacktail. It simple.

I’m not a fan of Mule Deer, unless the pig has been eating grain and alfalfa all year. Sage brush eaters ~ I’ll pass.

🦫

🤮 haha

#killar

Ain’t easy havin pals.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
“Bad Feelings” between the two different types of hunters! 🫢

My wife’s a meat hunter and I’ve stopped her numerous times from taking the first legal animal seen hoping for a trophy animal, several times she failed to fill her tag…..and she’s not a “happy camper” about that! And I am very aware that she is “not” a happy camper! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 11/05/22.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Around here we can kill unlimited does. We have antler restrictions for bucks and we only get 2 buck tags with the regular license plus a bonus buck tag for $10. So we're only allowed 3 bucks and 2 of them have to be with different weapons. To fill the freezer, just go out and kill a bunch of does and wait for the big bucks. I passed up a small 7 point last night because next year he'll be much better. I told my son that and he gave me crap because we're still trying to fill our freezers at this point. His wife is pushing him for meat. There's plenty of time to fill the freezers with doe meat if need be. We both have killed 2 does so far this season. There's a couple of big boys hanging around, so I'll save my buck tags for now because the rut is coming.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Interesting topic Beaver. Thanks for getting the conversation started.

Venison is our primary source of red meat. Mule deer whitetail, sage flats or crop land or big timber all fine with me and mine.

I might “hold out for a big one” once the freezer is full. But the meat comes first.

Despite being a “meat hunter” I have read and studied extensively on ungulate biology and behaviour and spend many hours with maps and satellite images (in the old days air photos) every season.

I hope y’all have a good and enjoyable weekend.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
As far as “poacher”, is it? Says who? Folks have fed their families since the beginning of time with meat.guess it depends how you were raised and where. As for me, if a guy killed a critter and ate it, I’d never turn him in or call him a poacher. 👍

The above is just so much nonsense!! Poachers are thieves, no one in this day and age (needs) to poach wildlife to feed the family, no one. With the government giveaways and welfare I have watched welfare turds load their cart with 20 or 30 lbs of expensive beef steaks, then whip out the welfare so-called Credit card to pay for it. When I see that kind of thing I am so tempted to ask them if I am invited to dinner since I helped pay for their food! The feed the family excuse for being a thief and scumbag was worn out many decades ago!

The more I get to know people, the better I like dogs, life is short, eat dessert first.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by BuzzH
My tags, my hunt, I’ll shoot or not and don’t need to defend my decisions.

I don’t care what others choose to shoot either, or why.

As long as it’s legal and ethical, do your thing and hunt/shoot what you want.

If I see a cow elk here in a little bit I’ll shoot my second elk for the year in wyoming. Going to have to be close, wind is honking up to 60 mph.

Pretty much it

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by oldtimr1
As far as “poacher”, is it? Says who? Folks have fed their families since the beginning of time with meat.guess it depends how you were raised and where. As for me, if a guy killed a critter and ate it, I’d never turn him in or call him a poacher. 👍

The above is just so much nonsense!! Poachers are thieves, no one in this day and age (needs) to poach wildlife to feed the family, no one. With the government giveaways and welfare I have watched welfare turds load their cart with 20 or 30 lbs of expensive beef steaks, then whip out the welfare so-called Credit card to pay for it. When I see that kind of thing I am so tempted to ask them if I am invited to dinner since I helped pay for their food! The feed the family excuse for being a thief and scumbag was worn out many decades ago!

Well I’ll be a scumbag then, if I was in that position, I’d “steal” wildlife before I ever thought about welfare. Ymmv👍👊🏻

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
663 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12308300, 007FJ, 160user, 75 invisible), 2,740 guests, and 1,320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,640
Posts18,399,000
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.