Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
O
Osky Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
Sorry if this has been pounded out, are any of you guys using a suppressor when calling coyotes?
Pros/cons?

Osky

Last edited by Osky; 11/06/22.

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes. No cons, only pros....

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by huntsman22

This 👆

O
Osky Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O

I still like to work long walks by foot. I am thinking this would give me more set ups closer together if the sound is abated enough to keep the alert distance down. Am I on the right track or for the weight is it not worth carrying it?
Thanks guys.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you are such a puss that the weight bothers you, they damn sure ain't for you.....

If you cut 6" off your barrel and add a 6" suppressor, depending on contour, you'll be lighter.

IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
If you cut 6" off your barrel and add a 6" suppressor, depending on contour, you'll be lighter.

I’m just getting started but basically done this. I was more concerned about the balance(and over length) than the weight. Each rifle balanced the way I liked before and each rifle balances the way I like after with the suppressor.

To each his own of course but I would try to do as hunts mentioned and cut as much off as your adding. Obviously not meaning cut 9” off a 18” barrel. 20” is now my longest barrel that’s threaded and I don’t want anything longer. For my area 16”-18” barrel plus a 6”-7” suppressor is about right. More open areas would allow for a little longer barrel I suspect.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I haven't cut any of my barrels down, only threaded them. I bet most guys couldn't tell the difference in balance with or without a light weight suppressor on the end.

The only con is ya can't get a barrel out the window as quickly;)

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
O
Osky Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by TRnCO
I haven't cut any of my barrels down, only threaded them. I bet most guys couldn't tell the difference in balance with or without a light weight suppressor on the end.

The only con is ya can't get a barrel out the window as quickly;)

I was going to get to the swing feel issue next, thanks. I’ve never had anything to do with a suppressor nor handled one so I have no clue on basic weight. Happens when your considered a puss I guess.
I am not interested in cutting down barrels either. Threading is fine. I’m a long time pushing .243 rounds so the sound is maybe a thing. Getting old and moving slower it’d be nice to tighten up the stops.

Out a window would be great! By the time I get on country every outfit, sxs,tractor, harvester, etc has been shot out of and most of the careless dogs are dead or smarter.

I do appreciate the input all three of you.

Osky

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I won’t move for 15-30min after a kill with my suppressed guns, as I can usually have another come in. I think ours are less spooked by gunfire, in general…..I’ve killed as many as 4 (separate approaching) without ever moving, and a non-suppressed rig around here. Doesn’t seem to affect any others within a few hundred yards. Suppressed, the multiples usually run a short distance after the shot, then stop and try to figure it out. That’s when I get the twofer or threefor deals.. That’s where being suppressed seems to help me the most. I see no drawbacks, but I’m no predator professional, either.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I coyote can hear a mouse walking under a foot of snow and you think that a coyote can't hear a suppressed rifle. I've shot at more than a couple and have had them keep coming in. If you think hanging another $1000+ dollars on the end of your rifle is going to put more coyotes on the board, fly at it. I've been around a number of rifles with cans on them and I'm not impressed enough to purchase one. If I need quiet, I take the 22 Mag and call them in closer.
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by erich
I coyote can hear a mouse walking under a foot of snow and you think that a coyote can't hear a suppressed rifle. I've shot at more than a couple and have had them keep coming in. If you think hanging another $1000+ dollars on the end of your rifle is going to put more coyotes on the board, fly at it. I've been around a number of rifles with cans on them and I'm not impressed enough to purchase one. If I need quiet, I take the 22 Mag and call them in closer.
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Have you ever hunted with a suppressor? I'm not sure you have. But the advantage is clear. They will certainly hear the gunshot, but they won't be able to tell where it was FROM. This works great if you miss or if there are doubles. I've had game come TO ME after shooting their buddy with a suppressed rifle.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Around the house suppressed is mucho better. My last three were with a .22 mag with a can which sounds about like a 22 LR but the 300 BO with the Hornady Sub X is better being pellet gun quiet. And doesn't bother the neighbors.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have never hunted with a suppressor, I have hunted with others that have them. The sound of a suppressed rifle is coming from the exact same place as an un-suppressed rifle it just isn't as loud, they know where the shot sound is coming from. Coyotes react to the impact of the bullet as it arrives before the sound of the shot.. I've killed the far coyote first and had the close one run straight at me, to the point of running over me and killing one as close as 6ft.. PD's seem to take the same amount of time to resurface with shots from a suppressed rifle and an un-suppressed rifle. On numerous occasions I have up to four coyotes come in as spaced single while killing the first one and have had them come in spaced after killing the first two, missing the third and killing the fourth all over the period of 10 minutes with the longest shot 70 yards. I have also missed a coyote twice with a single shot and he kept returning to the call until I killed him the third time he came in. I did refer to that one as "Suicide by Hunter". I personally feel that the main advantage to a suppressor is easier on the owners ears and the neighbors ears.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
erich. My guess and this is from not having someone shooting over the top of me suppressed and only shooting a few exotics and a bunch of pigs. Shooting supersonic and at the point of combustion at the muzzle on a larger round only being .223 full house or better seems to baffle the muzzle blast. Obviously pretty quiet if your behind it but I shot an Oryx out of a group of them at 110yds and none of them looked towards me but looked at their fallen comrade as well as some hogs. They know where the sonic crack is when it passes past, or through them but in my experience they're confused to where it came from.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by erich
I have never hunted with a suppressor, I have hunted with others that have them. The sound of a suppressed rifle is coming from the exact same place as an un-suppressed rifle it just isn't as loud, they know where the shot sound is coming from. Coyotes react to the impact of the bullet as it arrives before the sound of the shot.. I've killed the far coyote first and had the close one run straight at me, to the point of running over me and killing one as close as 6ft.. PD's seem to take the same amount of time to resurface with shots from a suppressed rifle and an un-suppressed rifle. On numerous occasions I have up to four coyotes come in as spaced single while killing the first one and have had them come in spaced after killing the first two, missing the third and killing the fourth all over the period of 10 minutes with the longest shot 70 yards. I have also missed a coyote twice with a single shot and he kept returning to the call until I killed him the third time he came in. I did refer to that one as "Suicide by Hunter". I personally feel that the main advantage to a suppressor is easier on the owners ears and the neighbors ears.

I don't think you're really experienced at all then. I've had experience more like JLimbo who posted below you. I've taken animals out of herds and then had somebody else take one, I've had animals actually come to me because they hear the sonic crack the opposite direction of bullet travel. The report is quiet enough with the suppressor that the crack confuses them. If you can go to a range with pits, let your friends with a suppressor shoot while you're in the pit and it will seem quite different to you.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
The suppressor threads are starting to get pretty similar to the 223/243 type threads. Those who have used them like them appreciate them and will recommend them. Those who haven’t just seem to get bent out of shape at the notion. Fine don’t worry with them then.

The funny thing to me is you can have a thread specifically asking about suppressor use and you have someone read the title open the thread then type out a reply when they haven’t used don't use and don’t want to use what the subject is about??

Are people that bored or lonely they have to be included even if they don’t even like what’s being discussed?

Are people that arrogant that they think if they don’t like something(something they don’t even use or likely tried) than no one else should like it either?

Seriously this is several different times recently where suppressors are brought up and people who don’t use them chime in about them.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I’ve noticed that my doubles on coyotes have went up substantially since I started using a suppressor. Multiples on pigs are a given and as said above they seem to get confused by the sound and oftentimes come toward the shooter. I’ve killed up to 10 out of one group of pigs with a suppressor.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Kaleb
The suppressor threads are starting to get pretty similar to the 223/243 type threads. Those who have used them like them appreciate them and will recommend them. Those who haven’t just seem to get bent out of shape at the notion. Fine don’t worry with them then.

The funny thing to me is you can have a thread specifically asking about suppressor use and you have someone read the title open the thread then type out a reply when they haven’t used don't use and don’t want to use what the subject is about??

Are people that bored or lonely they have to be included even if they don’t even like what’s being discussed?

Are people that arrogant that they think if they don’t like something(something they don’t even use or likely tried) than no one else should like it either?

Seriously this is several different times recently where suppressors are brought up and people who don’t use them chime in about them.
Good post.
I will also hunt with a suppressed rifle if legal.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I never killed a quad until after I got my first suppressor, and now I've killed 7 quads by myself, and once with a buddy of mine, and not to mention the 6 pack that I killed on a single stand. IMO, the suppressor helps kill multiples. Speaking of coyotes here.
Maybe I've just learned how to handle em better over the years, IDK, but I don't think I've done much different than I used to.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TRnCO
I never killed a quad until after I got my first suppressor, and now I've killed 7 quads by myself, and once with a buddy of mine, and not to mention the 6 pack that I killed on a single stand. IMO, the suppressor helps kill multiples. Speaking of coyotes here.
Maybe I've just learned how to handle em better over the years, IDK, but I don't think I've done much different than I used to.

Hard to argue with that.

Now with even more aplomb
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
651 members (1234, 257Bob, 06hunter59, 257man, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 69 invisible), 2,907 guests, and 1,336 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,661
Posts18,399,311
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.