Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
After my trip to Wyoming a few weeks ago I decided to sell my cylinder wood stove. It worked great but at 70lbs I decided it was time in my life to get a lighter one. It sold in one day on Cragislist for what I paid for it 13 years ago which would almost sound good if money were worth the same today....

Anyway, I'm leaning towards the Kni-co Alaskan or the Riley Colt but please let me know if I should consider any others.

I like the Riley for its galvanized metal, double walls, and simple design but I'm a little concerned that embers can fly out the air intake vent because it seems there's nothing in the way.

I like the Kni-co because it seems better sealed, appears to be more popular, and costs less but I don't like that it rusts and requires dirt in the bottom or a false bottom.

Both are in my weight range.

Thanks in advance for any advice you have to offer.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a Kni-Co trekker for my tipi. It’s been a great stove so far. I should have painted it with stove paint when I first bought it. You could easily make a false bottom if you want one. It got a good workout this season just drying out gear every day.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Our moose camp has three of the titanium box stoves out of Minnesota. One is twenty years old. Weighs about 10 pounds.

John Havard on this site, has one for sale.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I'd like a new stove myself. We use an 18x23 tent so I think it's time we upgraded to a bit bigger stove.

Semper Fi
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by VernAK
Our moose camp has three of the titanium box stoves out of Minnesota. One is twenty years old. Weighs about 10 pounds.

Four Dogs is hands down the best stove you can buy.
Four Dogs stoves

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by whackem_stackem
Originally Posted by VernAK

Four Dogs is hands down the best stove you can buy.
Four Dogs stoves

Thanks whackem!

Agreed as we tried various collapsible stoves and we couldn't cut wood fast enough to feed the stove.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Kni-cos are solid. the collapsible ones are great too, but they leak air. Still for 3 lbs and flat packing they are great.

Just got a 4 dog and will report back.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by TX35W
Kni-cos are solid. the collapsible ones are great too, but they leak air. Still for 3 lbs and flat packing they are great.

AH! Good, I'll need to pick your brain on that stove. Really looking into one for next year.

Semper Fi
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by beretzs

AH! Good, I'll need to pick your brain on that stove. Really looking into one for next year.

Hunting camp with a heated tent is mighty fine at the end of a long, chilly day. smile

Guy

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Cascade
Originally Posted by beretzs

Hunting camp with a heated tent is mighty fine at the end of a long, chilly day. smile

Guy

Yeah buddy! That about the best once you get to camp!

Semper Fi
IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I have the Alaskan standard package plus false bottom & side table, everything except the water-tank.
VERY nice stove.

Going to get the Trekker model with the same accessories.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
I have not used a lot of different stoves but I used Sims Sportsman for over 30years.It heated tents from 12x15 to 16x 20. 17-18 pounds including nested stove pipe and in a canvas bag that fits into a pannier. Always put about an inch of dirt in the bottom before burning and after the season brush off and spray with vegetable oil.

If you have unlimited pack animals, one of the stoves with side oven,water tank, side shelf are nice,butt bulky.

I would be reluctant to use any stove with galvanized coating.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just put in a month using our foldup sheep herder stove. Folds to about the size of two encyclopedias and it has about 30 seasons behind it. Being light weight, it's putting heat into the wall tent about 5 minutes after ignition. Even cook on it when horse packing.

1Minute
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by saddlesore
I have not used a lot of different stoves but I used Sims Sportsman for over 30years.It heated tents from 12x15 to 16x 20. 17-18 pounds including nested stove pipe and in a canvas bag that fits into a pannier. Always put about an inch of dirt in the bottom before burning and after the season brush off and spray with vegetable oil.

If you have unlimited pack animals, one of the stoves with side oven,water tank, side shelf are nice,butt bulky.

Can you still buy Sims stoves? I can't seem to find them.

I can see your point about galvanized coating but nearly all stove pipes are galvanized and once you burn it the coating seems to become part of the metal.

Last edited by Whiptail; 11/22/22.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ol_mike
I have the Alaskan standard package plus false bottom & side table, everything except the water-tank.
VERY nice stove.

Going to get the Trekker model with the same accessories.

Good to know! Did you paint it with high-temp paint after your first burn?

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I'm going to - its been too cold, it in the heated/cooled mancave room.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

Sounds like it's not as bad as some say but I definitely wouldn't weld galvanized metal.

I bought the Riley Colt. We'll see how it works and holds up but it's definitely a lot lighter than my old cylinder stove.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a Kni-Co but not a packable one

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Whiptail

I can see your point about galvanized coating but nearly all stove pipes are galvanized and once you burn it the coating seems to become part of the metal.

All my stove pipe was plain steel. It isn't the stove pipe, it would be the body of the stove with fire hot enough to melt the galvanized although I doubt that it would. Probably not too much of worry though. I know I had my Sims hit enough to be cherry red on a fe occasions. I breathed enough nasty stuff working underground and have bad lungs because of it so I am kind of a pussy in that regards.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Whiptail

All my stove pipe was plain steel. It isn't the stove pipe, it would be the body of the stove with fire hot enough to melt the galvanized although I doubt that it would. Probably not too much of worry though. I know I had my Sims hit enough to be cherry red on a fe occasions. I breathed enough nasty stuff working underground and have bad lungs because of it so I am kind of a pussy in that regards.

I respect your caution. I don't think the stove will get hot enough, especially on the outside, to turn the zinc oxide into fumes but the risk probably isn't zero.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

623 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1234, 10gaugeman, 61 invisible), 2,026 guests, and 1,204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,245
Posts18,447,994
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.