Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#17770492 11/05/22
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
How many of our Canadian 'fire members are either Hosers or know of any Hosers?

Last edited by High_Noon; 11/05/22.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I knew a hoser once.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
At a party once, I met a feller who had some fancy job in Canada. As he was telling everyone how great he was at his Canadian job, I interrupted him and asked him if he knew any Hosers. He gave me a death look and ignored my inquiry, resuming his I'm so great speech. After a minute or so, he put his head down and started laughing, looked at me and said that he did, in fact, know several Hosers in Canada.

Mission accomplished.

Last edited by High_Noon; 11/05/22.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
They’re all hosers, eh?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
As far as I can tell, yes... except, maybe, Dwayne.

- Del Gue
IC B2

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Maybe?.......

Proud Left hander!
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
I worked with four clowns several decades ago who claimed to be hosers. They even had pet names for each other.

Happy Hoser, OD Hoser, etc, etc.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They turn up everywhere, why not in Canada?

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Ripe old age of 19 I was employed for a couple of months at a construction site in West Linn OR. My main duty was spraying the mud off the truck tires with a fire hose before they got back on the city street.

You know it, I was the Hoser.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
When you were done hosing and it was time for the truck to leave, did you holler..........

"Take off, eh"

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B3

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Ca loo coo coo la coo la la
Or close to that lol

We might have to be neighbors, but I don’t have to be neighborly. John Chisum
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by High_Noon
How many of our Canadian 'fire members are either Hosers or know of any Hosers?

I knew an Airman who is called Hoser. From Hoselandia. Prince of a man.

.... like tears in the rain
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
All I know is “never trust a ‘pegger with your biscuit”.
I think it meant don’t trust a guy from Winnipeg with your girlfriend.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by High_Noon
As far as I can tell, yes... except, maybe, Dwayne.

High Noon;
Top of the morning to you sir, I trust it's not as chilly down in Texas this morning as it is here, but regardless I hope you're getting weather you can deal with and you're well.

As a brief aside, the one and only time we've been to your great state, there was a snowstorm that preceded us, so there is that.... eek

While I was certainly familiar with Bob and Doug McKenzie, hoser wasn't exactly a term that was used in common conversation in our areas of western Canada.

This is what these guys say about that...

"The Collins Dictionary defines the Canadian meaning of “hoser” as “an unsophisticated, especially rural, person.” "

According to that then, that defines me to a veritable "T" as I was born in a small center in Saskatchewan and as MCMark can attest to - he drives by the yard where I grew up - it wasn't the middle of nowhere but in fact closer to the end of nowhere. wink

I had a range setup in the front yard of our farm which is east of the yard where I grew up and besides the neighbor across the road, we couldn't hit any of the neighbor's places as they were too far - so no backstop required.

That sorta fits the "especially rural" part.

I'd submit secondly that especially if you were to talk to our girls, one of which has a couple degrees, they might just agree with me being "unsophisticated"... laugh

Pretty sure my good wife who's put up with me for the past 40 years doesn't consider me a sophisticate exactly either. I'm more of the Red Green school there since, nobody who isn't legally blind would consider this little old short bald fellow "handsome" but like Red says, they usually find me handy as I seem to be able to fix stuff. grin

Finally in my submission that I likely am a "hoser" I'll note that none other than the late crossfireoops/ Greg used to always refer to me as "Hoser"!

It turned out that when I was living in Calgary in '80 and '81 he ran a PetroCan station on the west side that I used to gas up at on occasion, so the possibility exists we met back when. We used to like to think we had anyways sir.

So there you have it, I very likely am the very definition of the word, at least as I understand it?

It was kind of you to suggest I wasn't, but the evidence seems to suggest otherwise! cool

All the very best to you down in Texas and good luck on your hunts.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
I knew a guy whose call sign was “Hoser”, a big gun buff if there ever was one. He was a few years older and had a very distinctive gravelly voice. He blew off a thumb with a makeshift gun with an old 20mm cannon barrel.

To give him an opposable thumb they grafted one of his big toes to where his original thumb was. His new call sign was now …….

“Toser” 😳😁

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Dwayne: I was hoping you'd make an appearance on this thread o' mine. Thank you for the information. The weather here in TX would certainly be considered mild by any Hoser's standards - mornings in the 50° range, warming up to the 70° - 80° range during the day. Very pleasant for outdoor work - unless you happen to have the same disposition as my brother, who freaks out when it gets any colder than about 71°. He came over the other day and was wearing 4 layers. I think it was 78° at the time. I hazed him immediately and unmercifully.

I did not want to presume, in the statement of mine you quoted, that you were not a Hoser, which is why I used the word 'maybe' but I'm happy that you are taking this thread in stride and gave us the true skinny on Hosers in the Great White North and why you consider yourself to, in fact, be a Hoser. I, being largely unfamiliar with Hosers and Hoserdom, other than passing through Canada on the way to Alaska in '92 and again, when I returned to Texas, only have minimally interacted with Hosers, but I will say that these brief encounters were largely positive.

I remember once, while camping in BC, I was awakened by a Canadian forest ranger who inquired about a tok he spied outside my tent. Yes, it was indeed mine and after thanking said Ranger, he informed me that I had pitched my tent in a blast zone and advised that I move post haste, which I did.

Also, when I was a younger man, I had a very pleasant week or so with a very pretty female Hoser (or Hoserette as the case may be) and though brief, I was left with a very positive impression of Hosers of the female variety. Although I cannot say for certain that she was a Hoser, since the topic never presented itself for discussion, I was nonetheless happy to have met her.

Additionally, I have read many of your posts and I am always left with a positive impression of your knowledge, positive demeanor, experience in the outdoors and overall good manners. Certainly a man I'd share my campfire with.

At any rate, I thank you again for chiming in and I wish you a good day.

Last edited by High_Noon; 11/06/22.

- Del Gue
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I hosed a few girls down when I was single!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by hanco

Impossible, hosers can't tolerate the Texas heat.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by hanco

Impossible, hosers can't tolerate the Texas heat.

smokepole;
Good morning my friend, I hope you're doing well on this first Sunday in November.

It's snowing here in the yard, for which I am pouting considerably much actually, as it's the second earliest snowfall since we've been at this place, which is 30 years. It snowed enough up on the mountain behind the house that yesterday morning I had to alter plans as to where I wanted to go look for a spike fork moose or unsuspecting whitetail buck as there was just too much snow to get in there.

First world problems to be sure however and I did have a wonderful 3 hour hike and did take some photos of the fresh snow on the surrounding mountains, so sometime will get them off the phone and onto here.

Anyways, the reason I answered is that sometimes, it does get warm up here.

Lytton, BC is 4 and a bit hours north of us and into the middle a bit more than us.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_extreme_temperatures_in_Canada

On that day, it was "only" 47° C in the shade at our place if memory serves. Was warmish last June for sure.

All the best and good luck on your remaining hunts.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

153 members (10gaugemag, 450yukon, 19rabbit52, 30Gibbs, 35sambar, 345dl, 23 invisible), 2,716 guests, and 961 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,645
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.