24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had a similar experience with an arctic grey fox on a Caribou trip up in Kuujuuaq (Fort Chimo).

I had to pack it back in 3 trips to my canoe a few miles and he would follow me for a few hundred yards each time but go back to the scraps.

I always wished I had gotten some pictures. This was way before cell phones so no dice.

"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Pine martins are fun to watch with their antics. You don't want to catch one with bare hands, though. They're well equipped predators.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
One time we were sitting down taking a break and a couple of squirrels were chattering. I had tuned them out but my buddy said "did you hear that, the squirrels just shut up all at once. A few seconds later a marten came sneaking through. Cool little anumals.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
One time I was bowhunting for deer. I'd spotted a doe and fawn below me and sat down on a pile of dirt to watch them. The fawn was bouncing all over the place playing. Then I heard a sh-sh-sh-sh behind me. Huh? I couldn't see anything so I went back to watching the fawn. sh-sh-sh-sh Ok, what was that and it was getting closer. sh-sh-sh-sh I found it this time. It was a badger running through dry leaves. It was heading for it's hole and mound of dirt I was sitting on WAS it's hole. It ran a 180 around me and was getting closer, about 5 yards. I slowly got up and moved 5 yards the other way. It made a dash and a dive down the hole and was gone. When I turned around, the deer were gone, too.

― George Orwell

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Yep…..that’s one for the record books! 😁 Quite unusual encounter and some good photos! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Cool story, better a Red Fox than a Grizz right?

Congratulations on your elk TRnCO :o)

KB

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
One year at our Freeman camp, some critter gnawed on a bunch of hanging elk quarters. Didn't eat much, just chewed the hell outta them. Night before we packed out, I seen what it was. A half-turned, piebald looking little weasel. I chased the little pisser down in the snow and beat him to death with a leather rifle scabbard. Woulda made a funny vid...... He froze overnight so I stuffed him in my saddlebag. When we got back to the trucks, I thawed him out on the defroster and wired a hind leg to the top of the steering wheel to skin him. Must have hit the gland by his azzhole, because he pissed all over the wheel. The skunky-like smell of that little weasel lasted most of the summer in my truck.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by huntsman22
One year at our Freeman camp, some critter gnawed on a bunch of hanging elk quarters. Didn't eat much, just chewed the hell outta them. Night before we packed out, I seen what it was. A half-turned, piebald looking little weasel. I chased the little pisser down in the snow and beat him to death with a leather rifle scabbard. Woulda made a funny vid...... He froze overnight so I stuffed him in my saddlebag. When we got back to the trucks, I thawed him out on the defroster and wired a hind leg to the top of the steering wheel to skin him. Must have hit the gland by his azzhole, because he pissed all over the wheel. The skunky-like smell of that little weasel lasted most of the summer in my truck.

That might be the most western/hillbilly schiet I've read....impressive!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
He could probably fill a book with stories like that. Most of the ones I've heard are better

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy

That might be the most western/hillbilly schiet I've read....impressive!

LOL +1

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congratulations on the bull.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Might be the best read on the fire in quite awhile!👍

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Had an elk quarter go missing from hanging in a tree one real cold night.
Followed bear tracks a couple hundred yards in the snow.
The bear had carried it far enough to melt a perfect dental impression into the meat on both sides.

T
TRnCO Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I guess that weasel got the last laugh Don. Funny stuff.....

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Alamosa
Had an elk quarter go missing from hanging in a tree one real cold night.
Followed bear tracks a couple hundred yards in the snow.
The bear had carried it far enough to melt a perfect dental impression into the meat on both sides.

We had two down once, four miles from the trailhead so we had multiple 8-mile round trips to get them out. Came back first thing the next morning and someone/something had taken a hind quarter off the tree and moved it about 15 yards but it was still in good shape. We never did figure out what moved it, no visible tracks, hair on the meet, obvious teeth marks, or anything like that. Could've been another hunter who thought he'd lucked into a free hind quarter and then thought better of it once he'd carried it a little ways.

Came back the next morning and there was a sow & cub on one of the carcasses. Could've been them the first day, and we spooked 'em when we walked in.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Whoever invented the idea of hanging your elk at least 10' off the ground obviously never had to leave one in the woods overnight.

― George Orwell

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I've seen a lot of critters in the woods over the years wandering in different kinds of places, high, low, swampy, desert, etc. One time I got a marten on a trail camera along the crest of the Cascade Range in the snow but I'd never seen one in the flesh 'til one day about 3 years ago I was hiking with some friends off trail and we ran into 2 of them the same day about 3/4 of a mile apart. There's a spot in the area where I ML hunt most often where there's a little colony of fishers. I see the little brown 'n' tan weasels now and then. I think mostly juveniles 'cause about 5 years ago I ran into a much bigger one than I'm used to, maybe 2-3 times the length.

We've got some foxes around here. The young and dumb ones will follow me around 20-30 feet away. My suspicion is I stir up the rodents in the grass and distract them making them easier pickin's for the foxes coming along behind me. They don't get too close, just .. near enough. It's kinda common to get that "being watched" feeling and look around to see 'em sitting back at a distance watching whatever I'm doing.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
A friend of mine in PENN was archery hunting several years ago and the woods were busy with squirrels. Suddenly everything went quiet and not a squirrel could be seen. A minute or so later he looked up and spotted a huge hawk perched in the top of a tree. He said it sat there for a good 20 minutes and flew away. Then the squirrels were back in business

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Great pictures.
I love these type encounters.
In Colorado my guide and I were resting after a long climb and a Pine Martin came along and as we we just sat still she jumped on my leg and glanced around before she headed on off along her way, I’ve had a chipmunk do the same.
On another hunt in Colorado a guy in camp had killed a real nice non-typical Mule deer and a Red fox came within fire light and grabbed the horns before a well armed rock made him drop them. He came in several more times before the guy wired them to a tree.
A full coated Red in winter is a beautiful animal, ugly in the summer down south most times.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
While working for ADF&G one summer out on the Alaska Pen., we were asked to work on an old airstrip about a half mile away, as an alternate/crosswind strip to our very short one at the site (A super cub could land/takeoff with nothing to spare- I extended that by 100 feet also, pick and shovel).

The old strip was something put in by seismic/oil exploration years before, I think, and was grown up with tussocks of grass, - which I was removing in a 30' wide strip the 1,000 - 1500 foot length.

To keep my lines straight, I was using two sticks with 100' of twine. Worked to the end, I'd leave that stiake in the ground, then go up and get the far end, loop it on down the strip, line it up with the finished work and other stake, and start digging again. One such trip, my looping twine came to an abrupt stop - looking back, there was a red fox about 40' back, who had pounced on the string as it looped through the grass. It had a mate and some cubs in the berm nearby. We played "moving string" awhile. Not at all bashful - they would all come within 20 ' or so, very curious as to what I was doing.

A few days later I saw a cow caribou - I think a yearling - coming toward me. She obviously saw me, and just kept coming until she was only about 10 feet away. I kept a wary eye on her and my shovel in my hand (Do caribou get rabies??? smile ). A few minutes later I heard wolves howling off in the not too distance. She hung with me, never more than 40' or so away, for the next 5 hours until I went back to the cabin.

I figure she figured she could run faster than me if need be..... smile

Last edited by las; 11/06/22.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
625 members (09wingates, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 57 invisible), 2,518 guests, and 1,156 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,599
Posts18,398,261
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.