Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
So, wondering if anyone has had problems with their rods breaking. Broke #3 yesterday Mojo bass MH fishing the delta. Lure picked up some grass and had my pole vertical and grabbed the grass to clear and the pole snapped. They have a warranty but like Vortex Optics the amount of grief is not worth the effort any longer. Exercising my options, to many other companies out there.

Last edited by sidepass; 11/07/22.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
GB1

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I have 3 St. Croix Premier Musky Rods, an Avid X spinning rod, and a Victory casting rod. The premier musky have been used and abused. I love my St. Croixs and will continue to purchase as needed.

I do know the mojo rods are made in Mexico, and I have seen more than one mojo musky break.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would be brought to tears if my St. Croix panfish rod were to fail. Easily my most beloved setup.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
These newer high modulus graphite rods are kind of brittle and don’t take well to high-sticking.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Never thought resting the butt on the boat deck pulling the grass tangled in the lure as high sticking but guess it overloaded the tip somehow. Do have a couple replacement options coming today.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Ky221
I have 3 St. Croix Premier Musky Rods, an Avid X spinning rod, and a Victory casting rod. The premier musky have been used and abused. I love my St. Croixs and will continue to purchase as needed.

This, except all mine are walleye rods, 6 in total, all fantastic !

Only 1 I ever broke was an ice fishing rod, that the braid had wrapped the tip & I tried to pull off line. Totally my fault.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Gooch_McGrundle
These newer high modulus graphite rods are kind of brittle and don’t take well to high-sticking.

Or any contact with boat rails etc !

Look after them, & they'll look after you.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by woodson
I would be brought to tears if my St. Croix panfish rod were to fail. Easily my most beloved setup.

Love the 7' Lite action Panfish series rod.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have three and love them. Of course I'm fishing Clear Lake. Bad things happen on the Delta

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by coyote268
I have three and love them. Of course I'm fishing Clear Lake. Bad things happen on the Delta
Damn wind,current and fast boats in tight sloughs. Chit happens as the wife says.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MOGC
Originally Posted by woodson

Love the 7' Lite action Panfish series rod.

I have the 7’ medium light, extra fast. Just a joy to own.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
St. Croix takes very good care of me as a guide and I’m very happy with their product. I had come over from Fenwick years ago. I’m extremely happy with their rods.
That was honest disclosure.
I have broken a few, more often than not it was clients in the boat who were using them but still they broke. I’d say maybe 3 in the last ten years. They have a no questions asked warranty policy and have stuck with it so no harm no foul.
I surmise, and just that, these new rods are made of some pretty incredible materials and may require just a bit more attentative use? Maybe I’m way off base?
As KY.. I have some terrific musky models on down to some incredible walleye models as New… posted. Really a great product and I’m very happy with it.
I still get around various tournament venues and know a lot of guys competing who are able to choose from any and there sure are a lot of guys swinging St. Croix.

I think back to the first fiberglass rods that came out and we thought they were the cats meow to now handle these new models, man what a neat change.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by sidepass
Never thought resting the butt on the boat deck pulling the grass tangled in the lure as high sticking but guess it overloaded the tip somehow. Do have a couple replacement options coming today.

What did you order?

I used to run Loomis stuff. I loved how sensitive they were for fishing light jigs. I just couldn’t stomach busting a tip on a $300 rod.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have 2 Avid spinning rods and a Victory casting rod. I am really liking them.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by sidepass

What did you order?

I used to run Loomis stuff. I loved how sensitive they were for fishing light jigs. I just couldn’t stomach busting a tip on a $300 rod.

Picked up rods from Lews and 13 fishing and will get a feel for them come friday. In retirement busting a tip on a $300 rod is not going to happen even though the wife says thats the cost of doing business.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I fished the [bleep] out of a 6’6 ML Triumph this summer and loved it as an all purpose rig with Pfleuger Supreme.

Leaves fell & I mourned fishing season…

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
The st croix mojo is not a 300 dollar rod..... maybe 150..... it's basically one of their bottom entry level rods.....probably made in china.... same as the lews or 13 that you ordered. If you want a better rod with a really good warranty I would look at Dobyns champion line and up. I personally use Kistler, Shimano and Irod but I believe dobyns has one of the best warranties.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
St Croix is only $150 or so about what I like to spend when running 6 or so rods per day. Same with the lews and 13 fishing for sure. Can afford better rods but think rods on the casting deck can take a beating and i see guys running 15 plus but they fish tournament and i'm fishing fun . Just thinking the broken rod was a bit fragile but i'm over it.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
For sure.... I have a serious problem with rods just like rifles lol. It's taken me years to find out what I like for different techniques .... I have about 35-40 combos at the moment but I do fish quite a few tournaments. I'm definitely more worried how the rod preforms than any warranty.... I think it's hard to get both warranty and the exact action/sensitivity that you might be looking for. But if you're flexible find out who has the best warranty and go with them.....good luck.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

This. Nailed it

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

287 members (10gaugemag, 280shooter, 204guy, 338reddog, 1_deuce, 264mag, 43 invisible), 2,091 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,151
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.