Print Thread
Hop To
T
T_O_M Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
I'm lookin' to load some varmint ammo for a 6.5 PRC. Conventional varmint bullets won't hold up to the 1-8" twist. I was grenading 90 grain TNTs mid-flight with max loads in the 6.5 Creedmoor. Not expecting the PRC to be any gentler.

I'd try out the 95 grain VMAX and 100 grain Ballistic Tip if I could find load data. It just may be the 1-8" twist with too much velocity is, well, too much for them. Dunno.

For the moment, I'm thinking about 120-ish grain nominally deer bullets rather than "real" varmint bullets. Thoughts? Experience? Maybe 120 grain SST or Interbond? I've got some 120 grain ELD M loaded now, haven't had time to shoot them. Other thoughts in that range?

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
D U M,

TNT's are made ESPECIALLY volatile(and FAR from "conventional" for that reason),with their Dog Schit jackets,if only as a "SURPRISE!" to you. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

WHY in the fhuqk wouldn't you be practicing/varminting with the GOOD stuff,if only to burn some constants into your 14 IQ Points?!? Pass the 147 ELD's and hold The Fluff. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

Extoll on your Goat Fhuqk Rifle,bases,rings and glass,if only for MORE oblivious HUMOR. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Loading varmint rounds in the 6.5 PRC is, frankly, a losing endeavor. For the cost of barrel-life and crummy performance, you're not gaining anything. Stick with 130+ gr bullets. Trust me, it'll still kill varmints just fine.

TNT bullets were MADE to be explosive. They are much more explosive than the V-Max (which I still wouldn't recommend). I used to shoot 6-284 and 6mm AI with 1:7.5" barrels. I had to go down to a 55 gr V-max in 6mm to get it to grenade...that's around 4,000 fps in a 1:7.5". I then upped it to 75 gr and 84 gr V-max. Guess what it earned me? TERRIBLE wind drift compared to the 105 gr A-Max. Prairie dogs exploded just as well with the non-varmint bullet, and with the added energy, many would cartwheel through the air.

in 6.5mm, the Nosler 100 gr BT is more like a deer/antelope bullet and I couldn't make it come apart with a 1:8" twist 6.5-284 back around twenty years ago. Unless they've changed it, its not a real varmint round.

Looks like even NOSLER thinks the 100 gr BT is a bad idea:https://www.nosler.com/6-5-prc

Last edited by drop_point; 11/06/22.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Big Stick
D U M,

TNT's are made ESPECIALLY volatile(and FAR from "conventional" for that reason),with their Dog Schit jackets,if only as a "SURPRISE!" to you. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

WHY in the fhuqk wouldn't you be practicing/varminting with the GOOD stuff,if only to burn some constants into your 14 IQ Points?!? Pass the 147 ELD's and hold The Fluff. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

Extoll on your Goat Fhuqk Rifle,bases,rings and glass,if only for MORE oblivious HUMOR. Hint.

someone schitt on your plate and piss in your beer once again Schtick....and you didn't notice it until you ate the schidt and drank the piss in yer beer before you figured it out? Guess that happens when your drunk... ain't easy being Schtick, is it?

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by T_O_M
I'm lookin' to load some varmint ammo for a 6.5 PRC. Conventional varmint bullets won't hold up to the 1-8" twist. I was grenading 90 grain TNTs mid-flight with max loads in the 6.5 Creedmoor. Not expecting the PRC to be any gentler.

I'd try out the 95 grain VMAX and 100 grain Ballistic Tip if I could find load data. It just may be the 1-8" twist with too much velocity is, well, too much for them. Dunno.

For the moment, I'm thinking about 120-ish grain nominally deer bullets rather than "real" varmint bullets. Thoughts? Experience? Maybe 120 grain SST or Interbond? I've got some 120 grain ELD M loaded now, haven't had time to shoot them. Other thoughts in that range?

ya know Tommy.... a load with Blue Dot or Unique, would solve that problem....
or 4198, or 3031 etc. you don't have to redline the velocity to take varmints with that rifle...

just a thought.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Shefire,

Your fascination with body functions,are more than a touch telling,due your Opiate Addled Minimum Wage Bedpan Washing Candy Striper "prowess"...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Schtick: Burp...

Shefire:
BlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBelch, Fart, Ah....Take another sip of Beer, Start Jerking Off....pass out, fall off stool... WAKE up in own schitt and vomit...change pants, jerk off again.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Shefire,

There's zero need for you to quantify,that besides being a Drooling CLUELESS Fhuqk,that you just also "happen" to be a Lying Piece Of Fhuqking Schit...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Fortunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so even you can "afford" to "contribute",albeit with your Homoerotic Fantasies. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..................

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
522 members (10gaugeman, 1badf350, 1lessdog, 160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 47 invisible), 2,536 guests, and 1,123 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,733
Posts18,400,973
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.