Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
I allways aim to break the far shoulder on quartering shots or tight behind the shoulder on broadside shots
I want a hole thru the heart and or lungs before busting bones period...mb

^^^^^^^^ This ^^^^^^^^ memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jc189
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
[quote=duke61] 7mm RM is perfectly capable as is 7mm-08 and 270 with proper bullet and range.

This^^^^^^^though I don't really prefer a shoulder joint shot, but just behind when possible.

Most good bullets from adequate chamberings will do just fine. Nosler Partitions have never disappointed.

MM

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

^^^ This ^^^

180gr Nosler Partition found just under the skin behind the far side shoulder (300wsm) 286 yds. First shot was through the boiler room, bullet not recovered. He just stood there and did a little shudder then acted like he wasn't even hit. They sure are impressive animals.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
That is not a nosler partition.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
^^^^^^^^^^

Agreed

Good catch there buddy!

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I've shot a number of elk with a 30 cal Accu-bond. It'll easily break a shoulder bone on the near side but then it falls apart. The pieces will really tear up things inside, though. One time I found the bullet casing against the far ribs but not the bullet core. It showed up months later when we cooked the heart.
Third bull I ever shot was with my 300 Jarrett shooting 200 grain Accubonds. 168 yard shot through the shoulder, lodged under the hide after penetrating the offside shoulder blade as well. DRT 6x6. I recovered the bullet and it weighed 105 grains. Better than 50% retention after two shoulder blades. I was happy.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Originally Posted by TheKid
Entry pretty much dead on the knuckle. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Exit visible here. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

270Wby 130gr ETip
This setup has more or less become my go to elk rig and I’ve never had penetration problems regardless of angle or bone encountered. Surely a 7mag is at least as powerful. 😁
That's a perfect meat bull. I've certainly centered the humerus a few times without meaning to. What speed are you pushing those 130's?
I honestly haven’t chronoed them. 130 Partitions go 3450ish out of this rifle with the same powder so I’d guess somewhere in that neighborhood. They’re the only bullet I’ve used out of the 270 Wby that isn’t really rough on meat.

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Entry pretty much dead on the knuckle. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Exit visible here. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

270Wby 130gr ETip
This setup has more or less become my go to elk rig and I’ve never had penetration problems regardless of angle or bone encountered. Surely a 7mag is at least as powerful. 😁
That's a perfect meat bull. I've certainly centered the humerus a few times without meaning to. What speed are you pushing those 130's?
I honestly haven’t chronoed them. 130 Partitions go 3450ish out of this rifle with the same powder so I’d guess somewhere in that neighborhood. They’re the only bullet I’ve used out of the 270 Wby that isn’t really rough on meat.
Thanks. Impressive performance!

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Fotis
Originally Posted by Oldquailhunter
I was watching the net the other day and a guy was talking about how good the 7mm Remington magnum was a great all around rifle. The guy went on to say the 7mm Remington magnum was a good elk rifle as long as you shoot them behind the shoulder. He stated that if you keep trying to break elk shoulders with a 7mm Remington it would let you down (he preferred a .33 caliber rifle).

Two things he did not mention was bullet type of range.

I have only hunted elk with a .30 caliber magnum rifle and haven’t killed enough to have a opinion but I just can’t see a quality bullet from 150 grains and up not breaking shoulders.

Anyone have a good quality bullet not make it through a elks shoulder?

Another chair-borne ranger. Give me a 7mm mag with accubonds, barnes ttsx, hammers partitions swifts and you see what it can do to any shoulder!!!!

Dang straight! I can’t speak for all those bullets since I’ve never used them, but the 150 gr TTSX at 7mm Weatherby velocity flat out gets it done. Cheers

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by szihn
I have killed a lot of elk in my 55 years of hunting them and in about 1/2 of that time I also guided hunters so I have seen a LOT more killed then those I have killed myself
I have seen them killed with rifles as small as 243s and as large as a 577 Snider, and 62 caliber flintlock.
Bullet construction is far more important then BC, SD, velocity, and all the marketers hype they try to force feed you.

I have killed them with 7X57 Mauser, 7MM Rem Mag and 7MM Weatherby mag. If using good bullets they break the big bones just fine. So does a 270 Winchester with 150grain partitions and the old Remington Core-Lokts and the 160 grain Partitions too. In fact the old Remington bullets were superb.
In my years of guiding the 2 calibers that gave the worst bullet performance overall were the 7 Mags and the 300 Mags and 100% of those failures were because of using bullets that were to fragile for an animal that large. And yet if loaded with proper bullets they all worked like magic.
I took a man out many years ago who came from new Jersey to hunt in the Selway and he shot a bull that ran off a ways. He has a 300 Weatherby Mag and loaded it with 165 grain bullets (I think they were Speer Hot Cores) We caught up to the elk about 500 yards from the place he hit it (still took us about an hour to find it) and I shot it 3 times with my 44 mag. He made a comment how a handgun was worthless if his 300 Weatherby didn't drop it, but was shocked to see all 3 of my round exited his bull and his bullet went only about 14 inches deep and didn't make it to the other lung. Mine were all hits in the mid or rear body as it ran away, and all 3 came out the front of the chest. After that he started to listen when I told him what bullets' to bring.
He hunted with me 4 times in the next years and every time after that he showed up with 220 grain bullets loaded. Never has a problem after that.

That is one of several stories I can relay about such lack of performance and shallow penetration's, but in case of a gal shooting a 243 with Barnes X bullets she did fine. Not all exits, but all went clear through and were on the skin on the off side.

A 7MM mag (or a 7-08 or 7x57) is fine for elk if you load "elk bullets" in it. My old favorites were the 160 and the 175 grain Partitions, but today you can pick from others that are fine too. Stay away from those that break up and you will be fine even if you need to take a quartering shot.

^^^This is all you need to know^^^

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
Partitions or bonded bullets are not needed.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy

No they aren't--but they sure come in handy at times......

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Oldquailhunter
Awesome pics!

Do you like the E tip?
I love the ETip, or at least the .277 130 as it’s the only one I have experience with but it has been stellar out of the 270Wby.
This one hit a bull quartered away at about 150 yards second rib from the back and came to rest under the hide after going through the opposite shoulder.

And like Tinman and others have said if given the choice I usually stay higher through the scapula and off the big joint. But sometimes I don’t make the perfect shot. Had I known exactly where the first one landed I might not have sent the follow up, but I probably would have anyway it just happened to land a little lower than I’d planned.

That's good to know because after shooting mostly 150g NPt's in my 270W's for the past 35 years I have a large supply of 130g E-Tips I'm going to start using.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy

No they aren't--but they sure come in handy at times......

When?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The time I appreciate Nosler partitions is on vintage firearms.

With the open back of the bullet the exposed lead in essence can seal the gasses escape if the crown is suspect …..compared to boat tails.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Jackson, when it is late in the evening and I want my elk down now, right there. Or on some permits, before they cross into a ranch that is closed to the public. I don't use them all the time, but there are times when they are important to success.
Where I hunt you don't always wait for a picture perfect shot, if you pass on a good chance, you might not get another. Anyone who has hunted elk seriously knows the value of good bullets.

Molon Labe
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Jackson, when it is late in the evening and I want my elk down now, right there. Or on some permits, before they cross into a ranch that is closed to the public. I don't use them all the time, but there are times when they are important to success.
Where I hunt you don't always wait for a picture perfect shot, if you pass on a good chance, you might not get another. Anyone who has hunted elk seriously knows the value of good bullets.

^^^^^^^^^Amen^^^^^^

Having a bit more cartridge/caliber than needed doesn’t hurt either! 😉 memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am a threw the slats 'chooter. But if I need to anchor'em right then and there, I really like the result of the top of the shoulder to the spine route, much more effective. A shot square into the scapula is a waste, most times they still move and quite well.

But, I have and seen or ran a bullet or 3 ran into shoulders and upper leg bones on occation, its just in the cards. Just a wiggle moves the crosshairs into those objects. My wife killed a big ol' fat cow elk as it walked angling away with the 25-06. Range was around 250 yards as the 100 gr. Partition entered just behind the last rib, caught part of the liver then threw the chest. Heart and lungs were ruined, then on to shatter the upper leg bone and lodge against the hide of the leg. Elk wobbled maybe 20 yards and done. Was quite impressed with how far and what that 100 gr. Bullet had done. IIRC, from point of entry to stop 39 inches of elk had been cleaved by it. If the elk had been quartering toward my wife, she would have placed the bullet just opposite direction.

I/we do not make it a habit to break elk shoulders/leg bones, it just is in the cards. Shot placement first and premium bullets really leans better outcomes your way with heavier boned game.

happiness is elbow deep in elk guts.
NRA life member
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I bet one of Elmer Keith's favorite Speer 275 going 2400 from a 338/06, up in the timber (100 or under) would break at least one shoulder! I wonder how that same load would do at 200? Anyone ever shot elk (moose,etc) with the old Speer 275 around that starting speed?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I thought I read that those 275's were pretty soft bullets?
My be better if with a .250 partition in that scenario.

F
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
F
The 338 275 speer had no flaws. It was and is as Elmer described. I started them at 2550 from my 338 wm and it killed elk like the hammer of Thor from close to far, 425, the same way. I think with some use of newer powders you could get a 338-06 near that level.

The 270 grain speer in the 9.3 was not great on game. “Soft” wasn’t the problem it was the description. Same bullet but different waistline and nose profile relationship made it open too fast.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Thanks Fury, I shot alot of those Speer 270s out of my first 9.3x62. Mainly was because I could get them then (late 90s) I like the old semi-pointed, round-nose bullets, makes me feel all warm inside, ha. The rifle I'm having set up only has a 22" barrel. I might be better off trying those Speer 275s in another Win Mag. I was just wondering if they would work on elk out to 250yds or so when started at 2400 (very doable in the 22")

Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 1OntarioJim, 224th, 222Sako, 204guy, 44 invisible), 2,020 guests, and 1,135 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,069
Posts18,463,518
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.