Hop To
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by DropTyne
Originally Posted by Greenhorn
Without the valuable input of MIKEWERNER, this thread is useless.

Another thread going to $#!+ in 3..2..1...

Give him a moment to overcome his inertia.

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
mathman.......you owe all your 3rd grade science students a 100% refund.

That means all of it, Greenhorn.

Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by DropTyne
Originally Posted by Greenhorn
Without the valuable input of MIKEWERNER, this thread is useless.

Another thread going to $#!+ in 3..2..1...

Give him a moment to overcome his inertia.

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bullets do funny things at times.

I was carrying my old pre 64 M70 in .338 mag when two cow elk snuck up to the trail I was on and slipped across. I waited close to 5 minutes before I started to move on when I heard a stick pop...

I backed off into the reprod and got ready, when a 5 point bull stepped up and peaked around a big fir tree at me. I could see from nose to the start of the shoulders and hit him as close to the tree as I could.

That 250 gr Nosler Partition bullet hit the neck bone where it makes that bend to go up to the hump. It tipped the bullet sideways and it came to rest midway through the off side shoulder.

It had barely started to open up when it collided with all that bone and was squished flat. It knocked him down, but he needed another shot to stay there.

I had a couple of boxes of the Speer 275 gr semi pointed bullets all loaded up by the original owner of my rifle. One day I thought I'd just burn a few of them up to see how they shot. I was super impressed, as they turned out to be the most accurate bullet I'd shot to date in that rifle..... They also kicked pretty good and I saw little reason to use them.

My favorite .338 bullet was the Hornady 225 gr spire point. It did all I needed to do to an elk.

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I found those 275’s were real accurate as well. If I have the time I’d like to load a few in my Alaskan with some RL26 and see what it does. My old one loved them with R22. I’d bet 26 gets a bit more speed as well. Be fun to hunt with the old bullets. I’d imagine they won’t bounce off an elk.

Semper Fi
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I asked on another forum, but what do you guys think of the 338WM and the Hornady 225 CX? Think it will act like the Barnes 225 TTSX? With bullets being so scarce, I have been hanging on to these 225 CX. I sold the Ruger 77 before I could try them in it. Now, I "might" have located another 338WM, and I can get into it for less than rebarreling this Savage 06 to 338/06! I love my 300WM but what I like for timber (and openings up to 250yds) in mind and like to use a thumper.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by Fury01
The 338 275 speer had no flaws. It was and is as Elmer described. I started them at 2550 from my 338 wm and it killed elk like the hammer of Thor from close to far, 425, the same way. I think with some use of newer powders you could get a 338-06 near that level.

Actually, even Elmer didn't like the 275 in it's later years, sometimes lamenting how it had changed from "the old, heavy jacket version." He mentioned this more than once in his published writing.

The last bull OL Elmer killed was with the 275 in a 338KT. Killed the spike bull but blew the 275 to dust.

500yds.

These days a 6.5MM Creedmoor with 130gr VLDs is a better 500yd elk cartidge than the .338 KT spitting 275gr Speers.

Time changes and elk are easy enough to kill with good shot placement and elk shoulders are no problem.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I see the butthurt over not knowing the difference between moment of inertia and linear momentum is still strong.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Even Elmer could be the victim of a single bullet failure.
I don’t think there is are many bullets made that have not had an anomalous performance example.
The next time I go elk hunting should I be so fortunate, I’ll have my 260 rem and a 140 nosler pt. My old man gun I call it. I would prefer the 120-130 Barnes tsx but not enough to ignore the stack of Nosler pt’s in ammo can.
Is it better than my long gone Ruger #1 338wm and the 275 Speer? I don’t believe so but I know it will do the job if I do mine.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
If there's one thing you do have experience with......it's linear momentum and butt pain.

I see the butthurt over not knowing the difference between moment of inertia and linear momentum is still strong.

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Only from pitching it to you.

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Your mathematical prowess is only surpassed by your advanced wit.

Only from pitching it to you.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by MIKEWERNER
Your mathematical prowess is only surpassed by your advanced wit.

Keep at it Mike, and some day you'll be the equal of mathman in this respect.

You're halfway there.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

O
OGB Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
Man!

I was enjoying this thread!

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by OGB
Man!

I was enjoying this thread!

Welcome to the campfire!

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Each day provides the opportunity for a new start. It just a choice.
So; I often used as an aiming point, for my bullets path through the vitals, the off leg. This sometimes broke shoulder bones from high to low depending on that animal’s position. I tried to plan on having a bullet and rifle that allowed that to happen. I think that is a solid plan for elk.
The anomalies in that plan were few and I was fortunate to be carrying a rifle and bullet that could handle them.
Best regards gentlemen,
F01

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This thread only needs contribution from one more member to make it a true campfire thread. Hint…

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Was with a buddy yesterday when he shot an old, dry cow elk. He shot just as she started to move and she dropped at the shot. We thought that he had spined her. He actually hit her right rear hip, shattering it completely and continued into her left hip, breaking it as well. Then the bullet either turned and got the liver or the exploding pelvis bones did. .300 RUM, 180 partition at about 3400 fps, 130 yards, lost alot of meat in both hindquarters. It was a bad shot, but she was dead within seconds.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I did the same thing (sorta, kinda) with a 375 H&H 270 Failsafe on a running warthog in South Africa. I was surprised it died instantly! Now, I grant you, a cow elk is much bigger, ha, but the effect was the same.
When you read of Elmer Keith shooting elk in the "rump shell", it was usually because a. it was the only shot he had and b. it was survival. He had to have that meat... its always hard to see ruined meat, but it just happens sometimes, even if we really don't need it to survive.

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 01/07/23.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by selmer
This thread only needs contribution from one more member to make it a true campfire thread. Hint…

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

I have him on a short leash.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
How many times a day do you dye your pom-poms?

Originally Posted by smokepole
Keep at it Mike, and some day you'll be the equal of mathman in this respect.

You're halfway there.

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

622 members (1234, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 65 invisible), 2,748 guests, and 1,264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,365
Posts18,469,052
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.