Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
ring3 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Carried a pocket knife forever. Recently lost one Ive had for years. Looking for a decent quality replacement. I like the three blade medium stockman style with rounded ends (3 1/4”- 3 1/2” closed). Like blades that aren’t difficult to sharpen and hold an edge fairly well. Used to stick with Uncle Henry but haven’t tried a Taylor (China) one. Anyone likeminded have suggestions or experience they care to share?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Case.....

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I have a couple of the Rough Rider that are
decent for what they cost. I'm pretty sure they're
foreign made even though they're not marked
as such. The last 2 case knives I bought weren't
as sharp as a few of the old 70's and 80's
vintage case knives I have. Not sure if it's
the steel, or if they're just churning them out
for the collectors and the japanese or what.
FWIW, there's thousands of old NIB and good
used knives to be had at pawn shop and flea
markets and garage sales and such to be
had reasonably. Not everything is priced sky
high like on fleabay. Last uncle henry stockman
I bought was like $15.00 IIRC. Lots of good
sharp carbon "junk" knives also like you used to
buy at the 5 and 10 cent stores back in the day.
I have a couple sitting right here that are razor
sharp old sabre and imperial brand that were
probably $3.00 new back in the 70's
Lots of em to be had everywhere. Shouldn't
be too much trouble to find a dozen like what
you're wanting.

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Moore Maker

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Buck 303

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For a production slip joint, Great Eastern Cutlery makes a nice knife.

Retired and Loving It!!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have a 3-1/4" older German stockman FS on Bladeforums for $85 shipped PM me if you are interested ,it seems like a decent one . They say the older carbon steel is better

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E

Conduct is the best proof of character.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I rotate through several Case two and three bladed stainless model knives. They’re easy to sharpen though they’ll dull quickly if used much. They aren’t expensive enough to worry about loosing them but are good enough I’m not ashamed to be seen with them either. My Benchmade tactical knife is kept in my pocket as a just in case it’s needed. I’d hate to have to replace that knife.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by teamprairiedog
Moore Maker

Who is making the Moore Maker knives nowadays? They always have some interesting patterns or handle materials. I do wish they would require heat treating their 1095 a couple points higher from their manufacturer's. They get dull pretty quick, easy to touch up but that's not always possible right away and it'd be better if the edge held longer while working with the knife.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 257Deland
For a production slip joint, Great Eastern Cutlery makes a nice knife.

Yes they do and would be my first choice. Probably followed by something from Buck as a second choice.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Lots of good choices above.

Buying an authentic USA Schrade/Uncle Henry/Old Timer off fleabay is another one.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FatCity67
Lots of good choices above.

Buying an authentic USA Schrade/Uncle Henry/Old Timer off fleabay is another one.

Be careful…..

I’ve read on a couple forums, that when Schrade / old timer went out of biz…

Soneobe bought up the left over USA stamped blades and sent to China to make finished knives…..

Is that true? 🤷🤷🤷🤷

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MOGC
Moore Maker

Who is making the Moore Maker knives nowadays? They always have some interesting patterns or handle materials. I do wish they would require heat treating their 1095 a couple points higher from their manufacturer's. They get dull pretty quick, easy to touch up but that's not always possible right away and it'd be better if the edge held longer while working with the knife.

It Was Queen?

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by MOGC
Moore Maker

They make at least 2 grades of folders. The ones with plastic grip scales have softer steel than the ones with natural material scales. My understanding is that they were made in Matador, TX.

My experience has been that they hold an edge very well. At least as good as an older Case and much better than Schrade. I have carried a moose pattern for 20 years or so. With the fur market being down the last several years I don't do as much skinning as I once did but I used a MM trapper pattern in the fur shed for a couple of seasons and it held an edge as good as any others that I've used and better than most but I stopped using it as I prefer a fixed blade for that work, a folder collects too much dirt, blood and fat in the handle.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Queen, Camillus, Boker, Utica, Bear & Son have all made the Moore Maker knives at one time or another. Moore Maker doesn't make any knives on their own, they contract with other companies to have their name stamped on the knife. The older Queen built knives weren't bad knives and were the more expensive in the Moore Maker line up. Camillus built the working line up of less expensive knives. I don't know who they are contracting with nowadays.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I've got a bunch of pocket knives from Case, Camillus, Buck and Schrade USA. There isn't much difference in edge holding between them. Case tend to be the best finished with Schrade the least. I ordered a Queen once years ago and it was poorly finished and fitted with lots of side to side blade wobble and gaps between scales and bolsters so sent it back. Disappointing considering the price.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I have always carried buck creek and case the most. Last 10 years or so ive also carried a benchmade for more of a tool and to abuse a little more.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Case would be my choice

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Case 6318 or a Buck301 or hit a flea market and buy a USA used Oldtimer by Schrade

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 204guy, 257 roberts, 257Bob, 56 invisible), 2,387 guests, and 1,194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,637
Posts18,455,290
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.