Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
What I love to see is the young kids getting into this stuff! We people who’ve grown up with our guns are fine, but there’s a helluva lotta younger people who have never been taught the things that we all love (and live for).
Here at home, the Chestnut Ridge Bow & Gun club has been supporting young shooters. Our high school has a pretty good shooting team, and we’ve been doing all we can to support them.
We got (IIRC) 5 rifles granted to them by the NRA. And they’re using our indoor range free of charge.
These young people are the future of our nation, and I’m very proud of having been small part of that.
I’d love to send soma our kids out there.
Maybe I’ll bring it up at the next meeting.
7mm

Well at a bare minimum a rifle to shoot the Quigley with sights is 2 k and there are no factory loads that will work. Just one of the things that holds down attendance, another is it's held on fathers day weekend..mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jorgeI
When I was gifted my S/Sharps in 45-110 by my friend ET (Jim Martin) as a retirement gift, Sharpsguy (Bill Bagwell RIP) invited me out to his place in Texas for a crash, PdD level course in the art of "Holy Black", from rolling paper patch bullets, grease cookies, the works. I was amazed that just after a few shots, I was routinely hitting the 500 yard ram target.

A couple of years later, we hunted bison together in Wyoming along with Doc Rocket and another former post here, EH76. For me it was like a page out of the west, had the buffalo slowly grazing towards us whilst we were concealed behind an old Sheep herder's stone marker. The shot was right at 102 yards and when I came of recoil, all I saw was the buffler with all four legs up in the air. Fun times..

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I bet that was a good time.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Very nice ! Thank you Op !!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Driven by that shoot a couple times a while back. Father's Day weekend these days has been filled with livestock events, so I haven't been out to Forsyth for a while now. Might have to change that next year.

Montana MOFO
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don’t know.

If the target is not a wooden bucket dropped off by a horseback rider, is it really a Quigley shoot?

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Waited two years for mine...

Coyotes shot no waiting.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Those damn rifles will work ya a ss off, casting, cutting patches, rolling patches, etc.! Did it for 20 years and had good time! Got to be committed to that rifle big time!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
What I love to see is the young kids getting into this stuff! We people who’ve grown up with our guns are fine, but there’s a helluva lotta younger people who have never been taught the things that we all love (and live for).
Here at home, the Chestnut Ridge Bow & Gun club has been supporting young shooters. Our high school has a pretty good shooting team, and we’ve been doing all we can to support them.
We got (IIRC) 5 rifles granted to them by the NRA. And they’re using our indoor range free of charge.
These young people are the future of our nation, and I’m very proud of having been small part of that.
7mm

This is why I am a 4-H shooting coach and a member of a Friends of NRA committee. I’m try to put as many kids outdoors and behind a trigger as possible.

I will loan you my CVA Scout V2 in .45-70 to let the youngsters get a taste of big bore... if you like. Couple of months kinda thing...

2 3/4 Redfield on top...

I have lots of reduced recoil loads and bullets/powder if some get the hankering to learn a little reloading as well. Dies and press are on you...

Not a true classic buffalo gun for sure... BUT an easy/cheap introduction to Big Bore.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Also a heck of a Sub gun...

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
7mm

The youth participation is huge to our future. Minnesota started the statewide trap shoot in 08 if memory serves with 13 small teams. We now have around 14,000 school shooters statewide. Largest participant school sport in the state behind only football. It takes us 9 shooting days to get the 8000 plus shooters thru the state qualifier in Alexandria Minnesota.
The youth are the future.
The Quigley shoot has a purpose and theme for sure but maybe a youth division with open sight 30 cal as well? Most young people are priced out of the event as is but could participate in a factory load .30 cal open sight event? At distance of course?
Maybe another venue, preserve the Quigley? We have school age shooters here who run beyond 300 straight on the trap range and I think it would be neat to see how well young eyes could shoot open and long with practice and competition.
God bless the 2a.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
The Forsyth Rifle and Pistol Club run the Quigley and they allready have too many classes at this shoot. Nothing but buffalo hunt era guns ( or clones of) and lead bullets allowed. Age wise none are discriminated against, I've seen more single digit aged kids participate with their parents help than you can imagine. Right up to the offhand part they do okay. Those that lack the strength to hold and shoot a 10+# rifle offhand shoot from sitting off cross sticks. This shoot is a privately held club shoot for anyone who can afford to participate your equipment, rifle, and ammunition is out of your pocket. This isn't high school sports where the taxpayer is bled to make sure everyone who wants to can participate at everyone else's expense, get that idea out of your mind right now. If you are a bpcr shooter you are allready equipped at your own expense. It is not inexpensive to say the least. You want your kid to shoot you need to teach by example and dig deep out of your OWN pocket that simple. I'm not on a tear here just explaining it the way it is. The club does an amazing.job of organizing the event that happens in less than 2 days each shooter shoots 8 shots at each of 6 targets at different ranges 48 shots per shooter. Typically an attendance of near 500 shooters. That's 24,000 one at a time controlled shots in less than 2 days . You shoot by their rules not come and demand they be changed to what you want or think is fair. They have their own website so check it out.
..mb

Last edited by Magnum_Bob; 11/08/22.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
IC B3

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
One of the segments is shooting at a 'bucket' offhand at I believe 300 meters!

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
7mm

This is why I am a 4-H shooting coach and a member of a Friends of NRA committee. I’m try to put as many kids outdoors and behind a trigger as possible.

I will loan you my CVA Scout V2 in .45-70 to let the youngsters get a taste of big bore... if you like. Couple of months kinda thing...

2 3/4 Redfield on top...

I have lots of reduced recoil loads and bullets/powder if some get the hankering to learn a little reloading as well. Dies and press are on you...

Not a true classic buffalo gun for sure... BUT an easy/cheap introduction to Big Bore.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Also a heck of a Sub gun...

Hey Leonard,

That is a cool little rifle! I want one!!!! I believe I’ll have the kids shoot my old Trapdoor. Thanks a bunch for the offer, though. PM coming with my email for load recommendations.

C
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
7mm

Well at a bare minimum a rifle to shoot the Quigley with sights is 2 k and there are no factory loads that will work. Just one of the things that holds down attendance, another is it's held on fathers day weekend..mb

What's the max distance now? I shot it for 3 years before I got sidetracked into BPCS matches, back then the longest was the buff at 804yds and attendance was right about 400. Now that I'm fast approaching my 2nd retirement a friend and I are thinking of going back just for the heck of it. I still own 3 BPCRs (Shiloh 74 and 2 Ballard made High-Walls) but they don't get out much now.

Last edited by Chuck_R; 11/08/22.

“Might does not make right but it sure makes what is.”
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
805yds the buffalo.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I never thought it would be much fun, since typically I avoid any large crowds, finally went to the Quigly and had a blast! I went in 21 and 22 and now feel like it’s going to be an annual event for me. If you like the big single shot rifles and real black powder, you will love it, although last years second place overall winner was a young woman, 14 years old I believe, shooting a 38-55 with Pyrodex. Smokeless loads are allowed, but to me they sound funny!

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Not pyrodex. All the Gambles are BH209 fans. I know damn few who will use pyrodex it's more corrosive than black powder and does not clean up near as easy as black powder.
That gal is a classic example of parents getting their kids involved, her dad shoots , her uncles, and her grandad and they all help her. They are local and been shooting there since the beginning of it all. Every year they are all near the top, fierce competitors and top shots. Some other kid without those kind of hands on mentors and financial support ain't going far...mb

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
722 members (222Sako, 007FJ, 09wingates, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 204guy, 78 invisible), 2,916 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,774
Posts18,401,589
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.