Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I've just purchased my first .223 rifle. 1-8" twist, heavy barrel. I'd like to use it for targets, ground squirrels, and coyote shooting. I need to buy some bullets for it.

I shoot three .222 rifles and a .22 hornet but assume the little 40 grain Nosler BT & Hornady VMax bullets that I have on hand for those rifles are likely not a good match for the new .223's fast twist and higher velocity. What bullet do you recommend as a good all around choice for my new rifle?

BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
EXACTLY what rifle is it? The 75 ELD is THE pick of the litter,in a 8" RPM 223,that has the COAL to accept same. Hint.

I'm in the process of loading a few hunnert of same,for a 20" S/S NIB CTR,ala Lapooey Virgins,400's,Lever' and magfed Smooches. Such things tend to arrange 2950fps MV,which don't suck and they do a rather nice job of greedily holding onto same,while fending atmospherics. Hint.............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Sako M85 Varmint HB/fluted. I should also mention I'd like to minimize wind drift, wind is constant challenge around here.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Was looking at the S/S version of same the other day,popped the mag out,measured it and you are schit out of fhuqking luck. They are Krunchenticker trite(shorter even than ASC's) and a Goat Fhuqk,so an easy pass,with no way to get out of it...despite the receiver length. The 75 ELD is no joy there. Hint.

They REALLY dropped the ball,on what could have been a sound platform. It takes RPM,COAL and Throat Geometry to connect dots by default. Shame. Hint................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A couple/few quick words on Mechanics and why they(RPM/COAL/Throat Geometry) control all. Hint.

Teeker S/S 20" 8" RPM 223 CTR here,if only fhuqking obviously. 75 ELD magfed Smooches(square) and there's room to chase lands,in issued OEM guise at 2.520"(this throat being longer than most). A beloved ASC,for comparison. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

The Sucko 85's 8" 223 magbox I measured,was well shy of ASC COAL,as cited prior and pictured here. Though they are my FAVORITE Krunchenticker mag going,due their greater COAL than all others. Hint.

Flipside,being a ASC max COAL,in the 8" CTR's OEM magbox. Hint.

Mechanics ain't subjective and it never don't not pay dividends,to look before you leap. Hint.

Just sayin' and food for thunking.................

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I never had the desired accuracy results shooting the 75 grain tipped bullets, but the Hornady 75gr BTHP shoot well at about 3000 fps. In both 1:8 and 1:9 twists for me. The Hornady 68's at 3100 are same. Both buck the wind very well, but the edge goes to the 75's. I don't have semi-custom rigs with aftermarket barrels, and frankly, I don't need them for my purposes. Certainly, if mag confines are an issue, the 75 BTHP is a fine choice.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
KchuntShoot,

The AMAZINGLY long list of simplistic things you can't do,never ceases to AMAZE. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..............

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Don't dog pile me, but the 77 TMK is pretty good if you're stuck with AR mag confines. It kills like crazy but isn't the slickest out there. It is good enough for me to blast steel, deer, coyotes and whatever else I happen to wanna shoot. I stick with it since it all gets loaded on a Dillon and the only think I need to change is the charge weight from the AR to the CTR.

Semper Fi
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My Dillon would jump off the fhuqking bench,were I to treat it i sucha manner! Hint.(grin)

I cain't start pole vaulting .200"+ to the lands and shop in accordance,because NOTHING matters more than mechanics. Hint...............

Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
Your 40's should work in a pinch. Worse case they may spin apart before hitting the target with the thinner vmax's having the most potential but I think they will be just fine. You aren't running them out of a 22-250 or creedmoor. They aren't the most ideal but I bet you get a little more action on living targets with them than before.

Your mag length isn't ideal as Stick pointed out but it isn't the end of the world. You might be able to tweak the magazine like some have done with Tikkas either filing out the front for more lateral room or if there is a spacer in the rear you can remove you might be in luck there. Otherwise you are stuck single loading or going with AR mag friendly rounds which there are a decent amount to choose from.

I would consider the Hornday 75 BHTP, or the 73 ELD or as mentioned the 77 TMK from Sierra. If you can get the RMR 69 grain or their new 75 grain which is similar to Horn's BTHP that would be a great economical option. I think Nosler has a 77 grain bullet to fit the AR mag confines as well.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Big Stick
My Dillon would jump off the fhuqking bench,were I to treat it i sucha manner! Hint.(grin)

I cain't start pole vaulting .200"+ to the lands and shop in accordance,because NOTHING matters more than mechanics. Hint...............

Man, don't hate! grin

Semper Fi
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
KchuntShoot,

The AMAZINGLY long list of simplistic things you can't do,never ceases to AMAZE. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..............
I AM amazing. My wife and kids think so too. Hint. It's called "priorities." Hint hint. And I can do all the killing and such with the shiit guns I shoot. Wearing shiit optics. Shooting shiit bullets. [bleep] amazing. Hint hint hint.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Big Stick, perhaps I should ask you to type slower because I don't read very fast. I can't make sense of your posts. Perhaps my feeble comprehension skills and lack of worldly experience way out here in the "land of the little sticks" is a handicap. I can't make sense of your use of abbreviations, colloquialisms, and references to firearms I have no experience with or interest in. I'd like some clear advice, not "hints", profanity, and obscure references thanks.

Huntnshoot, Beretzs, and Partagas, thanks that was helpful. I'm not sure what "AR mag confines" means, but I expect my Sako doesn't accept bullets seated much longer than SAAMI spec max. length of 2.26" since the magazine has an internal dimension of 2.290"

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
castnblast,

"AR mag confines" usually means you cannot load longer than 2.260" unless you use something like ASC stainless magazines which allow a bit longer COL's. It makes a difference when loading the longer, sleeker bullets several guys have recommended. All of that doesn't apply to your rifle.

Don't assume the 40's you have on hand won't work in the 1-8 .223, the ones you've mentioned are plenty tough enough for vermin and normal target shooting. Don't believe the old caution about "overstabilization", it may have been real in the days of poor bullets, but these days it just ain't so.

If you want to shoot larger game and/or long range targets, the heavier bullets others have mentioned are certainly better.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The Baby CTR seems to do OK,with 75 ELD's,at their 2.520" square Smooch...if only minutes ago. Hint.

Just sayin'..................

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Yeah, that don't suck a bit.

One of the best deals going on a 223 these days in my book. A pile of capability in that rig.

Semper Fi
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Bumped windage two tenth's,capped it,then set zero stop for it's 225yd zero. Shot come-ups to 1110yds,all jived nicely and I'll hand it and a few hunnert rounds of same to a visiting pard. Hint.

Then I'll show him the GOOD stuff. Hint.(grin)

Building Drop Chart now,as Whining Canucks Google madly! Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.............

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Bumped windage two tenth's,capped it,then set zero stop for it's 225yd zero. Shot come-ups to 1110yds,all jived nicely and I'll hand it and a few hunnert rounds of same to a visiting pard. Hint.

Then I'll show him the GOOD stuff. Hint.(grin)

Building Drop Chart now,as Whining Canucks Google madly! Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.............

It is a blast. I would dare say it is one of my best fun guns. Next to a 22, grabbing handfuls of 5.56 and jamming mags has to make you smile or you're dead below the eyebrows.

Semper Fi
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It's everything the Sucko ain't. Hint................(grin)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Baby CTR seems to do OK,with 75 ELD's,at their 2.520" square Smooch...if only minutes ago. Hint.

Just sayin'..................
I'm curious as to exactly what yellow marker you use on those ammo boxes there.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
672 members (1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 74 invisible), 2,942 guests, and 1,435 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,672
Posts18,399,514
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.