Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The thread asking folks the range most of their animals are taken is interesting. Of those posting, just a couple have actually killed an animal with a rifle at longer ranges. Most chose less than 350 yards.

So among everyone who posts on this forum, who has killed something at truly “long range”? I’m talking 600 yards or more.

Hang your pics here.

Looong ago, before the innanet, I killed a coyote at 800 by “holding over and hoping” and an Antelope at 600 by doing the same. No pics.

The first animal that fit the bill when I knew what I was doing was a coyote at 934 yards.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Let’s get this party started…

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
got this'un at 849.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Nice shooting 22.

Semper Fi
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
It's a lot harder to kill a coyote at 934 than a deer at 849. Tip of the hat goes to rc.....

Altho this one time, I did kill a coyote at 900. But I didn't know it..... Seen a coyote mousing way across the prairie, from the feedtruck. I backed up a little till the truck was kinda hid. Grabbed the rifle and climbed up on the flatbed. Couldn't get a range with the snow on the ground, but did range a clump of yucca kinda close to him at 900. Slapped down the bipod on the roof of the truck, elbows on the headache rack, dialed and let fly. The coyote disappeared. A few seconds later I seen him streaking for the creekbottom. Figured I missed. A couple days later, I rode the quad out to paint my gongs and found him right where I spined him. He had a partner in the swale behind him that I never saw. That was the one that bugged out when his bud dropped outta my sight.....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Haha, good stuff Don.

One of my early LR kills was similar. Was out in a field shooting water-filled milk jugs, balloons, etc., out to about 600 yards, when I spotted a coyote in an adjacent field mousing in the snow. After a couple of tries, the Leica LRF1200 gave a reading on the coyote of 942 yards. I was shooting a Tikka in .25-06 with 100gr SMK, and after checking DOPE, I dialed the correction into the Burris FFII Tactical 3-9x. Incidentally, that was the best-tracking Burris I ever owned. Looking back, it's funny to think of the equipment I used to make that shot. Mirage against the snow showed just a hint of wind, which I estimated to be about 1 mph full value. I held for it by shading just a reticle-width into the wind, and let a shot fly. The 'yote sprung into the air, danced around a bit, and then laid dead. I walked over to him, and found I had hit him square in the shoulder. Ranged back to the truck where I had shot from, and sure enough the Leica read 942. I had some pics of me sitting next to the coyote, holding up 9 fingers, but the pics got lost when my previous hard-drive failed. I'll likely never recover those. Still have the memories, though.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by huntsman22
got this'un at 849.

Nice!!!

The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Haha, good stuff Don.

One of my early LR kills was similar. Was out in a field shooting water-filled milk jugs, balloons, etc., out to about 600 yards, when I spotted a coyote in an adjacent field mousing in the snow. After a couple of tries, the Leica LRF1200 gave a reading on the coyote of 942 yards. I was shooting a Tikka in .25-06 with 100gr SMK, and after checking DOPE, I dialed the correction into the Burris FFII Tactical 3-9x. Incidentally, that was the best-tracking Burris I ever owned. Looking back, it's funny to think of the equipment I used to make that shot. Mirage against the snow showed just a hint of wind, which I estimated to be about 1 mph full value. I held for it by shading just a reticle-width into the wind, and let a shot fly. The 'yote sprung into the air, danced around a bit, and then laid dead. I walked over to him, and found I had hit him square in the shoulder. Ranged back to the truck where I had shot from, and sure enough the Leica read 942. I had some pics of me sitting next to the coyote, holding up 9 fingers, but the pics got lost when my previous hard-drive failed. I'll likely never recover those. Still have the memories, though.

👍🏼

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
yanno, I believed that tale, right up till the part you said Burris.....bwahaha just kidding

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
760 yards with the Creedmoor. Immature Ibex hunt in the Floridas, NM

Last edited by rcamuglia; 11/08/22.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
yanno, I believed that tale, right up till the part you said Burris.....bwahaha just kidding
I don't blame ya. I wouldn't believe that part, either! grin

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice shooting, Rick. But your pic isn't loading. wink

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Nice shooting, Rick. But your pic isn't loading. wink

Postimage is down

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Another try.

840 yards .300 Winchester and the 230 Berger OTM

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have a couple Arapahoe County deputies come out and shoot with me once a month. They showed up one day and were getting ready to go. Jeff was setting up his spotting scope, as was I. Mike was getting his AI 300 win mag ready to shoot first. Jeff looked thru the scope and there was a coyote within 10 feet of my mile gong. Mike slapped a mag in his rifle, dialed his 1760 yard dope and let 'er fly. He just overshot the coyotes back. Both me and Jeff both told him to just hold a few inches lower. The coyote ran a little towards us at the shot and was looking back at the dustcloud kicked up behind him. Next shot drilled him. He has the ranch longrange title with 1740 yards.....

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I have a couple Arapahoe County deputies come out and shoot with me once a month. They showed up one day and were getting ready to go. Jeff was setting up his spotting scope, as was I. Mike was getting his AI 300 win mag ready to shoot first. Jeff looked thru the scope and there was a coyote within 10 feet of my mile gong. Mike slapped a mag in his rifle, dialed his 1760 yard dope and let 'er fly. He just overshot the coyotes back. Both me and Jeff both told him to just hold a few inches lower. The coyote ran a little towards us at the shot and was looking back at the dustcloud kicked up behind him. Next shot drilled him. He has the ranch longrange title with 1740 yards.....

Awesome!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Now that's some good stuff.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

.300 Winchester with the 208 A-Max

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great pics, Rick. I need to start taking more photos of my kills. It's usually an after-thought.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Great pics, Rick. I need to start taking more photos of my kills. It's usually an after-thought.

I know. But when they’re long, ya gotta do it or no one will believe you!

😂

Good thing every one of mine was witnessed
Lol

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Here's a pic of Mike the cop and his coyote. We rode the 4wheelers out to get him, and didn't think to grab his rifle for a hero shot in the field. So we clicked one back at the barn...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 66 invisible), 2,339 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,656
Posts18,455,599
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.