Hop To
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Originally Posted by gonzaga
Try using a backpack under your right arm under the butt stock if you're a rightie....

I tired that, and also tried putting it on my left calf and sitting back on it. I'm not flexible enough to rock back and sit on my heel like some guys do. Helped, but still no cigar.

If you have the tripod you talked about, use it. You can use your sticks if you think you need a rear support like in my video.

You can do this

Thanks for the help RC. A tripod with sticks for a rear rest, I will try that. Most likely I could do it but looking at the total picture of what's involved with the "not-a-hunt" taking a day off work, 8 hour round trip just to qualify, I think I'll probably pass, just not that motivated to participate. Didn't cost anything to apply, costs even less to un-apply.

The thing I'm motivated to do now is get off my ass and get a suppressed rifle.

So using the sticks for a rear support means holding them in your left hand while they are against your body, outside of the butt stock. You then use your hand for the rear rest.

Don’t try to adjust the sticks to actually support the butt.

If you use the tripod, you probably won’t even need to do it because they’re so stable.

Go up to the line with your tripod legs already at the right length for kneeling, dope dialed tor 200 in the scope and on the beep, spread them and clamp your rifle in the saddle and get on target. Hammer it 3 times

If it’s stable and you’re confident, stay on the tripod and just move to the 300 yard plate and dial it into the scope, hammer it 3 times. If not, transition to prone.

You can do this. I’m gonna be disappointed if you bail on this opportunity. Look at it as a challenge, learning, and most of all when you succeed, a fun hunt with free meat.

Additionally, you knew where this hunt was to take place and the drive involved when you applied for it and it was fine then. The only thing that has changed is you doubt you can shoot well enough to meet the requirements of the G&F.

Don’t puss out because you may have to work and improve to get it done

Last edited by rcamuglia; 11/22/22.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Well, you're obviously more gung-ho than I am. I will just say thanks for the tips on technique, and leave it at that.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Go up to the line with your tripod legs already at the right length for kneeling, dope dialed tor 200 in the scope and on the beep, spread them and clamp your rifle in the saddle and get on target. Hammer it 3 times

If it’s stable and you’re confident, stay on the tripod and just move to the 300 yard plate and dial it into the scope, hammer it 3 times. If not, transition to prone.

According to the video the shooters can preset the sticks or tripod off the clock.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
You can use sticks or a tripod. The one dude had a tripod that could have held up an 80lb bag of concrete. He clamped his rifle into it and the gun didn't move. It was like a tripod ransom rest, literally. He literally could have sighted the rifle, locked it in place, and stepped away, and pulled the trigger from the side. IMO, it was beyond reasonable, but allowed.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
After seeing the video of the grossly obese Parks and Rec guy shooting, it seems the obvious answer is to grab a 12 pound 6mm Creedmoor with some kind of 85-100 grain solid copper bullet. Pretty sure I'd be fine with my 6/45 shooting 95 vld but darn it they have lead in them.

I stand by my original statement that standing around in the cold at a poorly run state sponsored range day is of really no interest to me. I have enjoyed reading the thread though and had some good laughs. Good luck to anyone willing to take the time to put up with this stuff.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

According to the video the shooters can preset the sticks or tripod off the clock.

Lol

With that advantage, a guy would be able to shoot a 10 round mag at each plate.

The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

One thing for sure is that the amazingly simple requirements eliminate a bunch of people with fragile self-esteem and without basic marksmanship skills that shouldn’t be in the field with a rifle in the first place. I can’t imagine being such a snowflake to not even try to satisfy the conditions on a hunt people pay good money for.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've been in the field with several people that couldn't hit water if they fell out of a boat.
In my limited experience, as the hunter gets older the conditions need to be as close to perfect as can be.
That being said, I think Smoke is being more than honest with his limitations and with his honesty and age, he is not willing to cave to stress his limitations or safety zone.
I commend you for that sir.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
LOL, is that directed to me RC? Seems to be. My self-esteem is just fine, thank you, and by the way it’s not based on my proficiency with the reverse kneeling position.

Yours seems to be out of control though. Difference between us is, I have nothing to prove to you or anyone else on here.

I've killed my share of big game out to 400 yards prone, standing with a tree for rest, sitting, and offhand. But never once reverse kneeling, never had the need to use the position. It bothers me not in the least to say I'm not very good with the position.

But it really seems to bother you. The question you should be asking yourself is, why is that?

Thanks gonzaga, I was posting while you were.

Last edited by smokepole; 11/22/22.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
LOL, is that directed to me RC? Seems to be. My self-esteem is just fine, thank you, and by the way it’s not based on my proficiency with the reverse kneeling position.

Yours seems to be out of control though. Difference between us is, I have nothing to prove to you or anyone else on here.

I've killed my share of big game out to 400 yards prone, standing with a tree for rest, sitting, and offhand. But never once reverse kneeling, never had the need to use the position. It bothers me not in the least to say I'm not very good with the position.

But it really seems to bother you. The question you should be asking yourself is, why is that?

Not bothered at all. Disappointing that a prominent member of our hunting and shooting forum doesn’t have the skills or gumption to attain them, regardless of the fact he readily admits it.

BTW the “reverse kneeling” position is not a requirement and you don’t even have to do it to shoot from a tripod. Just kneel.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not bothered at all. Disappointing that a prominent member of our hunting and shooting forum doesn’t have the skills or gumption to attain them, regardless of the fact he readily admits it.

BTW the “reverse kneeling” position is not a requirement and you don’t even have to do it to shoot from a tripod. Just kneel.

The kneeling part is at 200 yds on a 6MOA X 7MOA plate.

That's a fair representation of an elk vital area.

If one is stymied at hitting that elk vital sized target at 200yds from any version of kneeling then more practice and less throwing bullets at elk is in order.

WOW.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

The kneeling part is at 200 yds on a 6MOA X 7MOA plate.

That's a fair representation of an elk vital area.

If one is stymied at hitting that elk vital sized target at 200yds from any version of kneeling then more practice and less throwing bullets at elk is in order.

WOW.

That’s putting it nicely.

I’m going Big Stick’s direction and not suffering idiots and fools.

Life’s too short

😁

(I know you and BS clash, but he’s based in this regard).

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm
You can use sticks or a tripod. The one dude had a tripod that could have held up an 80lb bag of concrete. He clamped his rifle into it and the gun didn't move. It was like a tripod ransom rest, literally. He literally could have sighted the rifle, locked it in place, and stepped away, and pulled the trigger from the side. IMO, it was beyond reasonable, but allowed.

Nice.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

So feather weight magnums are not good for hitting 6MOA targets from field positions under pressure?

Who saw that coming?

John Burns

I have all the sources.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Like I said, I've never had to use any version of kneeling to kill big game. So the only reason I'd need to attain that skill would be to take a day off work and drive 8 hours to participate in what's been described right here as a goat-rope qualification. To participate in a goat rope "not-a-hunt."

If it was important to me I'd do it. It's not.

And don't forget that I'm a "prominent member" here, so I get to do what I want. Not what you want. As if it was any of your business in the first place.

And wtf is up with you giving 10mm a ration of shìt, anyway? You never saw anyone miss a shot? I've seen people who know their way around a rifle miss shots well within their abilities, it happens.

Never seen anybody worth a shìt denigrate them for it though.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Damn I was hoping we could carpool.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by dassa
LOL, you think the best way to avoid a schitshow is to allow people to use a rest when they qualify that they won't have when the actual hunt happens, got it.

There are such things as trees, brush, fence posts ,ect in the field and the qual allows shooting sticks instead of the post. I would have used sticks to pass that qual.

Get out in the field a bit more and this would be easier for you to understand.

The 300yds portion allowed prone and bipods.

Seems a good test for this kind of thing.
You ever been to the great sand dunes? Wide open country with lots of sand, not so much trees and brush and fence posts.

You think the elk are hanging out in the actual dunes?

I suppose next you are going to tell us the cull is to reduce how much sand the elk are eating? crazy
Where were they hanging out when you did the shoot?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S

So feather weight magnums are not good for hitting 6MOA targets from field positions under pressure?

Who saw that coming?

LOL, I saw it coming JB, like I said, it was the only rifle I had with a good load worked up for a copper bullet. So I was stuck with it.

But thanks for acknowledging it's not a very good tool for this kind of shooting, and not remotely like the rifles that all you guys who never missed a shot would use.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by 30338
Damn I was hoping we could carpool.

Can you ever forgive me?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Only if you teach the reverse kneel lol.

Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (1234, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 68 invisible), 2,612 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,932
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.