Hop To
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
FWIW:

Colorado DPW is wanting volunteers to trim the elk herds in The Great Sand Dunes and San Luis Valley areas.

Applications are online.

I read this on Accurate Reloading, American Hunting thread. Posted by Kathi Climes who, I believe, runs a travel booking business for worldwide hunting, etc.

Might be worth looking into for those interested.

BP-B2

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by Houston_2
FWIW:

Colorado DPW is wanting volunteers to trim the elk herds in The Great Sand Dunes and San Luis Valley areas.

Applications are online.

I read this on Accurate Reloading, American Hunting thread. Posted by Kathi Climes who, I believe, runs a travel booking business for worldwide hunting, etc.

Thanks for the heads up! My buddy and I just submitted our applications. 9 News article indicated this hunt was last year as well. Any idea last year how many applicants/selected/qualified?

Last edited by TracksWapiti; 11/09/22.
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by TracksWapiti
FWIW:

Applications are online.

Thanks for the heads up! My buddy and I just submitted our applications. 9 News article indicated this hunt was last year as well. Any idea last year how many applicants/selected/qualified?

Tracks, I have no idea about those numbers for last year.

Surely the CPW would have that info online you’d think to tell of the success. Maybe a phone call to the southern district would be the thing to do.

That data resides somewhere in the files.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
FWIW:

Applications are online.

Surely the CPW would have that info online you’d think to tell of the success. Maybe a phone call to the southern district would be the thing to do.

Thanks for the suggestion. Just called the Monte Vista office, and they said they just cut off the applications after receiving 2,000 of them since Monday. Guess we'll sit tight and find out!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've gotten selected for those hunts a few times and more often not gotten selected. Even 20 years ago it was hard to get a slot on those hunts.

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
FWIW:

Applications are online.

Thanks for the suggestion. Just called the Monte Vista office, and they said they just cut off the applications after receiving 2,000 of them since Monday. Guess we'll sit tight and find out!

2000 applications in just a few days!

Alamosa out of that 2000 applicants how many would you feel would be picked to hunt based on your past experiences?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Making me think here. I think I have gotten called when my number was well over 100 and it surprised me that I got called. If I remember correctly that hunt was in Feb and they were going to stop in, I think, March.
I was number 2 once.

Last edited by Alamosa; 11/09/22.
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
^^^
Thanks.

The Sharpshooter parts of these hunts supposedly depends upon the prospective hunters’ ability to hit a 12” circle at 200 yds, if I read that correctly.

Did the previous hunts that you were a part of require such?

Much appreciate your comments on this.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes. You used to have to qualify your marksmanship.
Then they stopped doing that but it wouldn't surprise me if they began requiring it again.
I think it required 3 out of 5 in the 12" circle when I did it.

Last edited by Alamosa; 11/09/22.
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Thanks Alamosa.

If I can draw a tag next year I’ll be hunting out of Fort Gardner again.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Fort Garland or Gardner, with no fort? Two different places....

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Alamosa
Yes. You used to have to qualify your marksmanship.
Then they stopped doing that but it wouldn't surprise me if they began requiring it again.
I think it required 3 out of 5 in the 12" circle when I did it.

Just a chip shot for any good rifleman.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Requires six out of six at 200 and 300, in 3 minutes. Have to shoot from sitting (can use sticks) at 200 and you can go prone at 300.

Ordering more TTSX's now, copper bullets only on parts of the area.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by smokepole
Requires six out of six at 200 and 300, in 3 minutes. Have to shoot from sitting (can use sticks) at 200 and you can go prone at 300.

I read standing or kneeling supported at 200, and could go prone at 300.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Yes, you are correct. I just skipped ahead to sitting at 200, seems like most would go that route, given the choice.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
200 and 300 yards.....3 shots each within 3 minutes. No misses or you fail from a different article i read.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
12” target?

Last edited by hillbillyjake; 11/10/22.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I put my name in and got drawn. I shoot next week. The qualification is six shots total, 3 at 200 yards, and 3 at 300 yards. Have to hit all six shots within three minutes to qualify. For the 200 yard shot, position is kneeling or standing. For the 300 yard shot kneeling, standing, or prone. Target is about 12" diameter. The really weird thing is, you are not allowed to adjust your scope. I paraphrase because it takes too much time and it's not realistic in the field. There's a metal post shooters can use for extra support for either range. You have to bring your own pack or bipod for prone. The email said most shooters don't qualify. Theoretically this should be doable for any seasoned hunter/shooter. I wonder if there's something else that comes in play.

There's a video out there of a CPW officer shooting the course clean. He uses a suppressed, PRS type rifle that has zero recoil. 6.5Needmore at most. The thing looks like it weighs 11lbs. And shooters can't adjust the scope because it takes too much time and doesn't mimic shots in the field. Um, ok PRS rifle dude, who carries an 11lb rifle in the field?

Last edited by Mountain10mm; 11/11/22.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I go on the 28th. Let me know how it goes, 10M.

LOL, the only rifle I have a good load worked up for copper bullets is a relatively lightweight .300 Weatherby, needless to say, no suppressor.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Will do Smoke. I'm shooting a Tikka 300wm that weighs in around 8lbs loaded. And anything past 250yards for me gets ranged in the field, dialed accordingly and shot to the best of my and my rifle's ability. If I don't have time to make the right shot, I don't shoot. Very simple. Winging shots with Kentucky windage (or holdover) is a good way to wound an animal. Seems like a very poor message to be sending.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
677 members (10ring1, 10gaugemag, 12308300, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 70 invisible), 2,785 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,634
Posts18,398,904
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.