Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
jaksny Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Dang guys, thanks for all of the suggestions! I've seen all of the cartridges I had in mind mentioned by others, so I might as well say them now. 35 Whelen and 9.3x62 are the larger two that I was mulling over, useful for large communists, bears, and communist bears. 257 Bob and 7x57 for smaller communists and deer. I REALLY want to build a couple quality deer hammers in inherently low recoiling cartridges like the bob and mauser, guns my kids can grow up shooting without fear of recoil. I also REALLY want to be able to blow the hell out of a communist bear with a big boy cartridge. The issue I have is this: I know if I chamber it in the bob or 7x57 that I'll use the hell out of it and kill lots of deer. I know if I chamber it in a boomer that I'll shoot it every now and then and mostly just tell friends I have a cooler rifle than they do. These are both facts. But I can't shake that I really want to make it into a Whelen. I suppose the only real solution is to keep buying springfields and do them all.

Speed is fine, accuracy is final.
BP-B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
This one of mine will remain a 30-06, as it's all original anyway:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The other one has been "sporterized" back in the 1950's... And it's a great rifle. It "might" remain a 30-06, or... a re-bore to 35 Whelen or 9.3 x 62... Seems attractive. smile

Guy

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The Whelen seems like a solid pick and trust me, you don’t need to load the demons out of it to make it way fun for killing bucks.

The Springfield in a 7x57 seems wrong to me…. ‘Merica and all grin

The 257 works nice as does a 6mm Rem….

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Cascade

The other one has been "sporterized" back in the 1950's... And it's a great rifle. It "might" remain a 30-06, or... a re-bore to 35 Whelen or 9.3 x 62... Seems attractive. smile

Guy

Whooooaaaa. Now that is cool!

I hope you do a Whelen one of these days. You might see what all of us have been yammering about.

Last edited by beretzs; 11/08/22.

Semper Fi
jaksny Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by beretzs

This is exactly what I meant in my first post about being called names. My coworker got really upset with me when I told him I might chamber it in a mauser cartridge.

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by jaksny

This is exactly what I meant in my first post about being called names. My coworker got really upset with me when I told him I might chamber it in a mauser cartridge.

So many great options for that old warhorse.

I’m glad I don’t have to decide.

Semper Fi
jaksny Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I'm enjoying the process. My brain is broken so I need all of the cartridges, I just need to figure out which ones is first.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Cascade

Guy

Whooooaaaa. Now that is cool!

I hope you do a Whelen one of these days. You might see what all of us have been yammering about.

LOL! Well you were a "communicator" so of course you yammer! wink

35 Whelen... Sure seems like a great idea.

Guy

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jkob
What about the 9.3 x 62?
This is a great suggestion for a rebore from JES since the 9.3x62 reamer completely "cleans up" the 30-06 chamber so headspace is a non-issue, even if things have set back a bit over the years in the donner barreled action. I had JES do two of my 1903's, one in 338-06 and one in 9.3x62.

Last edited by TRexF16; 11/08/22.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
The Whelen seems like a solid pick and trust me, you don’t need to load the demons out of it to make it way fun for killing bucks.

A Springfield in 8x57 would seem wrong but I am too fond of the 7x57 to hold any angst.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
My buddy has a pretty awesome one in .400 Whelen.

Dave's .400 Whelen!

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
My 92 year old friend proudly showed me the M1903 Springfield sporter he built back in the early 60's. Its very pretty pre-war style sporter stock made me do a double take. But then I saw the serial number and thought "uh oh". It's a low number job. Then he told me the chambering: 8mm-06. I asked him why and he said because he thought 8mm was a wiser choice than anything else. (Remember this was 60 years ago and 8mm bullet selection then was abysmal.) Oh well. He said if I want it it'll be mine someday soon. I figure the wood will look good on something else....

Guys routinely re-chambered war surplus 8mm Mausers to 8mm-06 back in the post-war era because it was a way to make the guns go bang in an era when 8x57 factory ammo was nigh nonexistent. But to purposely choose that chambering for a custom gun would've made no sense when there were like, maybe, three or four dodgy bullets for it on the market.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
8mm-06 for larger, 6-06 for smaller.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Originally Posted by rickt300

A Springfield in 8x57 would seem wrong but I am too fond of the 7x57 to hold any angst.

The 8x57 not so much but the 7.7 Jap would seem wrong.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
My 92 year old friend proudly showed me the M1903 Springfield sporter he built back in the early 60's. Its very pretty pre-war style sporter stock made me do a double take. But then I saw the serial number and thought "uh oh". It's a low number job. Then he told me the chambering: 8mm-06. I asked him why and he said because he thought 8mm was a wiser choice than anything else. (Remember this was 60 years ago and 8mm bullet selection then was abysmal.) Oh well. He said if I want it it'll be mine someday soon. I figure the wood will look good on something else....

Guys routinely re-chambered war surplus 8mm Mausers to 8mm-06 back in the post-war era because it was a way to make the guns go bang in an era when 8x57 factory ammo was nigh nonexistent. But to purposely choose that chambering for a custom gun would've made no sense when there were like, maybe, three or four dodgy bullets for it on the market.
Gnoahhh,
You may well be smarter than me about low number Springfields but there are some very interesting things to be learnt in THIS article. Since it might be yours one day!

BL, all low number receivers are not the same, and any that were going to fail have probably failed by about 80 years ago.
Cheers,
Rex

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Thanks. I was kinda reluctant to even bring it up for fear of a low number v. high number debate. Everyone has an opinion, and frankly I don't know where the truth lies anymore. Bottom line, I have plenty of other guns to shoot and don't need to incur unnecessary risk shooting a low number '03 no matter how slight the risk may be.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
.35 Whelen or 9.3x62. Classics for a classy rifle.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I saw a custom Springfield 1903 in 8X57MM many years ago. It was a very well done rifle, most likely built in Germany from the style of stock it had

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by TRexF16
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

Gnoahhh,
You may well be smarter than me about low number Springfields but there are some very interesting things to be learnt in THIS article. Since it might be yours one day!

BL, all low number receivers are not the same, and any that were going to fail have probably failed by about 80 years ago.
Cheers,
Rex

Heat treat is not a problem with 03-A3s.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
jaksny Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I think that the 257 Roberts is pretty classic itself.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
715 members (12308300, 160user, 11point, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 89 invisible), 2,700 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,928
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.