24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes, if you end up with a good sample in the first place. They do not seem to have good reputation when it comes to product service.

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by Theoldpinecricker
Does anyone use these? Im on an SP101 kick and have the GP100 357 but I've yet to find an 44spl in the wild. What do you think of them? A bit better than Charter Arms?

Even the Rossi 720 amd Taurus 441/431 are better than the Charter Arms revolvers chambered in .44 Special, at least IMO.

New Coke is better than a Charter Arms .44 Special.

That was legendary bug of 1970s and 1980s. Let's face it it's not a Ruger that can be shot thousands of rounds at the range.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
A Smith and Wesson M69 is the way to go
Fine guns

I AM THE GOOD FRIEND OF RENEGADE50.
HE MENTORS ME.
HE PUNISHES ME WHEN I AM WRONG.
HE CALLS ME OUT WHEN I AM LYING.
HE CARES GREATLY ABOUT ME.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Jason and his dumbest sockpuppets.
LOL

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
A S&W 44 Spl collector as a 'sweet spot'. From 1910 vintage Triple Lock Target to a Lew Horton N frame short barrel of the eighties. And some nice ones in between!'. It's a great chambering and more than most folks need.
Congrats to folks here of good taste! smile
Best!
John

IC B2

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by glockdoofus
A Smith and Wesson M69 is the way to go
Fine guns
NGAF about what you post anymore in case you haven't noticed.
Or your other sockpuppet Slavek aka: slave to cock.Cock..

You have been reduced to irrelevance on here.
And it started 2 yrs ago when I fuuuked you up about your bullschit tgts per your 50 yd offhand big bore revolver "prowess".
Go cry to your "therapist"

Poor little Masar Cardonez...

I been fuuuking you up all over this site.

And you can't do a fuuuuking thing about it....

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
This will generate a slew of PM,s from this mental giant to me.

Been getting 2 or3 a day from him since I started messing with his dumb azz down here.

All deleted unread ad nauseum.

Just figured a select few of you down here who fell for these 2 Masar sockpuppets might get some peer pressure from those who seen thru his bullschitt long ago.

You rubes know who the fuuuk you are.
Own it.....

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Last edited by renegade50; 11/18/22.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you want a 3” GP100 in 44 special, try Whittaker Guns. I think I saw one in their display cabinets.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've had 44Mag shooters from Smith and Ruger but never picked up a 44Special shooter of any brand .....yet.

I like reloading for the 44Mags that I had from bunny loads to those famous nuclear loads. Seems like I may have overlooked this caliber.

Tell me more about why you like this caliber and some of the loads for it that are your favorites. Also interested in knowing why this Ruger GP
model seems to be held in high regard. Accuracy, weight, flexibility in ammo, etc.

I haven't got into the Ruger double action shooters yet but this post is intriguing.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Following with interest. I have two 44 mags, a m69 and a sbh hunter plus a gp 100 44 special. The gp100 fits me the best.
I load for them but for some reason I can't quite turn the corner from favoring a gp100 357 I have.

Lurking to learn.

"My two most favorite people are Navy Corpsmen and Marine medivac helicopter pilots" - MEJ 1967.

IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Redhill
I've had 44Mag shooters from Smith and Ruger but never picked up a 44Special shooter of any brand .....yet.

I like reloading for the 44Mags that I had from bunny loads to those famous nuclear loads. Seems like I may have overlooked this caliber.

Tell me more about why you like this caliber and some of the loads for it that are your favorites. Also interested in knowing why this Ruger GP
model seems to be held in high regard. Accuracy, weight, flexibility in ammo, etc.

I haven't got into the Ruger double action shooters yet but this post is intriguing.

I've nothing but love for the .44 Special for a number of reasons but the biggest is that when loaded proper it covers the widest range of use while giving very little compromise in any of the respective uses.

My favorite loads are 250-260 SWC (depending how they drop) at around 900fps. I have always loaded the RCBS Keith type but I think any SWC in that weight range does just fine. They will punch the cleanest little holes through critters ranging from deer to turkey and will do so with just enough oomph and bullet diameter to make things leak (die) quickly. And they will do all this without excessive recoil as long as the handgun is of adequate design and weight. A well thought out .44 Special can be shot at beer cans for two hours just as easily as your favorite .22LR.

However, if you reduce the weight or reduce the size of the handgun too much, it will go from the handgun you love, to "fugking ouch" very quickly.

And that is why the GP100 (to me) is nirvana in the .44 Special. It's not a massive frame like the N or the Redhawk because you don't need that massive frame as you do for the longer cartridges like the 45LC or 44 Magnum. It is Ruger's version of the L-frame but with one very big difference. The GP100 frame is a fugking tank. That tank like construction allows for the abbreviated barrel and cylinder length but still enough weight to keep the .44 Special, special. Not to mention the action design allows for one of the slickest shooting DA's ever produced. A new set of springs and five minutes with a stone will have your Ruger outshining others very quickly.

And that takes us to the other reason I love it. It's a double-action revolver. I much prefer double-action revolvers to single-action revolvers. But if that's not important to a person, I would steer folks toward the Ruger Flattop. It's a very close 2nd in the .44 Special world.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good read, Deflave.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by lastround
Good read, Deflave.

The people asking probably have me on ignore.

LOL

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
I own several Taurus 441 and 431 models in 44 Special. Much better than the Bulldog. Very accurate and a pleasure to shoot if you keep your loads around 1000 fps. Some here throw stones at anything Taurus, but if you have one of these for sale shoot me a PM.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by lastround
Good read, Deflave.

The people asking probably have me on ignore.

LOL

Not me. It was defiantly a good read and it has me tooling up for some more load testing.

"My two most favorite people are Navy Corpsmen and Marine medivac helicopter pilots" - MEJ 1967.

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I have the 3" GP 100 in 44 Special. I love it. It is what I carry when I go rifle hunting, because I can get in and out of a vehicle without having the barrel push up my belt and sit down out in the woods without worrying about the bottom of the holster pumping into what I sit on. The trigger is very good for a Ruger Double Action but not as good as my old S&Ws.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
One of these days there will probably be a Campfire thread about GP100s where no one compares it to a tank. But not yet.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I only have one 44 Special. It's to big for an everyday carry, but it's about perfect for a backup carry on a hunt.
Don't reload for it, as it shoot very good with factory stuff.
Also, who doesn't like a real COLT SAA !!!
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"The older I get, the better I was"
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Have a Taurus 431 stainless that I trimmed the grip on and liked it so much I bought a 441 stainless several years later. Loaded with Keith 429451's over 15 gr. 2400 it carries like a model 66 with the punch of a model 29. At half the cost. Of course, they haven't been made for almost 20 years, so the old fashioned quality is there. I had a Charter Undercover once and think I threw it in the trashcan. No comparison.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
741 members (10gaugemag, 222ND, 222Sako, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 80 invisible), 2,713 guests, and 1,360 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,624
Posts18,398,651
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.