Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Mart:

We find our Honey Crisp to be our best storage apples. We store them in a cool refrigerator and use them through March in place of tomatoes in our salads.

GB1

M
mart Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Logger,

I have a cool room in the basement. No heat runs about 52-55 degrees. I sorted out all the apples showing signs of damage, soft spots and rot two weeks ago. In just two weeks I had a bunch more going soft. That’s why I opted to turn them all into sauce. I thought they would keep better but knew if I didn’t sauce them I’d loose them.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I remember when I was little my mom used to make it. Hand a hand cranked thing that squished the cooked apples through a strainer trope thing.

Was the bomb. Especially with a pork chop!

MAGA
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Gravenstein apples make really good applesauce!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That Saucenator looks like something Wile E. Coyote would use to chase the Roadrunner with, complete with afterburner. Does it leave chunks in the Applesauce? That's what I remember most about my Grandmother's homemade Applesauce.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My grandmother made homemade applesauce from the fruit off of the tree in the yard. It was awesome. More like apple pie than the jarred stuff in the store. Might have had a bit of sugar added!

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by mart
Logger,

I have a cool room in the basement. No heat runs about 52-55 degrees. I sorted out all the apples showing signs of damage, soft spots and rot two weeks ago. In just two weeks I had a bunch more going soft. That’s why I opted to turn them all into sauce. I thought they would keep better but knew if I didn’t sauce them I’d loose them.

Yes that makes sense. We select the best and put them in our garage refrig which is rarely opened and is kept around 36 degrees. We do the same sort with our Fujis, Kings, Jonagolds, Yellow Delicious and Spartans. The bad ones are fed to the deer. Then we make applesauce with all apples contributing. Left overs are stored in our insulated shop. They are fed to the deer through out the winter and spring.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
No cooking involved making that sauce?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Take the handle off that peel/core/slice machine and clamp a cordless drill motor onto the shaft. It makes the processing job a lot easier!

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I canned over 30 quarts of sauce this year. I left the peelings on,Haralred apples! I was sparing on the brown sugar and a few batches I put in some excess garden produce, cukes,peppers,etc. and one batch I mixed in a bag of ground up cranberries! All good,imho!

IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
We made applesauce using Stayman's this year. I made a 3 prong holder I mount in a cordless drill to spin the apples and use a peeler like used to skin carrots to peel apples. Takes about 10 seconds to peel one. We bought a cutter like this
[Linked Image from m.media-amazon.com]
and in one push the apples go in the pot. Doesn't take long to go through a bushel.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Wife makes a batch most years. Lodi apple tree in the yard.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Got pears? Make sauce from them just like apples. It's really good mixed 50-50 with apple sauce.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
A black bear ate almost all of our apples this year and broke the tree all to hell. Got enough left for a half dozen pies and that's about it. GD

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by mart
Logger,

That looks great. Do you just hot bath the jars to seal them?

M
mart Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by ironbender
No cooking involved making that sauce?

We cut the apples in quarters or eighths depending on size and cook until softened. Then process through the sauce maker. No peeling or coring. We take the stems out and trim out the blossom end. Mostly because my grandmother always claimed they would leave a bitter taste.

Hot applesauce into hot jars and water bath for 20 minutes.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Gotcha. Thanks, mart, and enjoy.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
When I'm doing a bunch of them, I'll cook them and dump them in 3 gal buckets and put them in the cooler. They'll keep for a week below 40F. Then when I start straining and canning, I can do more jars at once. They don't have to be hot to strain them. Cooled ones work just fine.

If I have a batch in the canner, I fill the next batch of jars and set them in hot water until its turn comes in the canner. That prevents cracking from heating too fast.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
That's cool, mart.

Are you staying in Idaho now or are you planning to go back north?

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
M
mart Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by deflave
That's cool, mart.

Are you staying in Idaho now or are you planning to go back north?

We're staying in Idaho. We sold our home in Alaska and bought a house in Craigmont. We wanted to be closer to family. We had 20 good years of an Alaska adventure but felt we needed to be closer to my Mom and Etta's family.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

240 members (12344mag, 160user, 2500HD, 22kHornet, 10Glocks, 257 roberts, 24 invisible), 2,466 guests, and 936 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,718
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.