Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#17785501 11/10/22
Plab Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I've got a savage 99 with a neglected bore. I'd like to have it rebored .
anyone have any recommendations on who to send it to ?

plab

Gotta love them 303's
BP-B2

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
JES as long as you want 33 caliber and up.

Inexpensive and fast turnaround.

Done 3 for me, everyone great.

"A man has come to terms with life when he is willing to plant trees under whose shade he will never sit."
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Another JES recommendation here.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by baldhunter
Another JES recommendation here.

Wouldn't hesitate to have JES do another rebore for me. Have had 3 done, a 338-06 and 2, 9.3x62s. Every one of them shot better than the 'donor' caliber.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
What is the present chambering and what is the desired?

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
To the best of my knowledge there are only 5 smiths who rebore. JES brilliantly limits the calibers he rebores and is the only one who brilliantly limits his business to reboring. With 20 years of experience this year he has it down to an art.

Al Siegrist
Danny Pederson
Wayne York
Norman Johnson

These guys will rebore more calibers than JES but they also take significantly longer to turn work around. Wayne York may be the second fastest at roughly a 3 month turnaround. He has an employee who does all his reboring and that's all that man does. The others are mostly one-man shops.

Medics bury their mistakes..
Plab Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I've been trying for a week to reach Jesse to no avail , maybe he's hunting ?
the rifle I want done is a 303 and the bore is crap .. I think going to 35rem
is the best route

plab

Gotta love them 303's
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I'm not entirely convinced the 35 Rem will clean out the 303 Savage chamber. The shoulder area gives me concern.

Medics bury their mistakes..
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The rim diameter may be an issue - I imagine you’ve considered that.

Considering the chamber and the bolt face, a 356 might make more sense but then there’s brass and ammo…

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I'm aware of a couple Savages converted to .35 Remington and they went with new barrels because of chamber issues. A pre-1960 Savage action won't cut the mustard for .356. Sounds like a good opportunity to build a.35/.303 wildcat. Keep after JES.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Tag here, and paying attention. I have two potential donor barrels, and haven't figured out which cartridge will work with the donor action's rotor, (... what are you gurus using for wildcat dies?). I seem to have my heart set on 35-300 Sav, but can't imagine that 35-303 Sav gives up too much velocity,

and yes, it seems like JES is well-situated to be the best/only choice. Will they re-chamber deeper, re-clock, and set the shoulder back, if you send along the action?

Last edited by JeffG; 11/11/22.

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
You can make your own dies with the custom reamer you used to chamber the rifle. Use it as-is to cut a straight-line seater die, then relieve it a touch and cut a sizing die.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
If you call JES,leave a message.I kept calling and calling and never got anyone to answer the phone when I had mine done.I left a message and in a couple of hours later,he called me back.He's busy working and he wouldn't be able to get anything done if he was answering the phone all the time.I can understand that,if your doing precision work ,you damn sure don't want to be interrupted.When I sent my rifle to him,it was 10 days from the time I sent my rifle from Texas to Oregon and back to me.For a $250.00 job with return shipping,I couldn't be happier.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by baldhunter
If you call JES,leave a message.I kept calling and calling and never got anyone to answer the phone when I had mine done.I left a message and in a couple of hours later,he called me back.He's busy working and he wouldn't be able to get anything done if he was answering the phone all the time.I can understand that,if your doing precision work ,you damn sure don't want to be interrupted.When I sent my rifle to him,it was 10 days from the time I sent my rifle from Texas to Oregon and back to me.For a $250.00 job with return shipping,I couldn't be happier.

THIS ^^^^^^

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Add me to the listed of highly satisfied JES customers.

Plab Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JeffG
Tag here, and paying attention. I have two potential donor barrels, and haven't figured out which cartridge will work with the donor action's rotor, (... what are you gurus using for wildcat dies?). I seem to have my heart set on 35-300 Sav, but can't imagine that 35-303 Sav gives up too much velocity,

and yes, it seems like JES is well-situated to be the best/only choice. Will they re-chamber deeper, re-clock, and set the shoulder back, if you send along the action?

I've been trying to reach them Jeff I want to know if he needs the barrel on or off the action. I'm assuming they headspace it and marked the barrel with the caliber ? wish they had an email address

I've researched the the conversion from 303sav to 35 rem .. chambering will work dimension wise

plab

Gotta love them 303's
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
JES did a 30 to 35 rebore for me using the original cartridge. Just opened up the neck to 35 and bored and rifled the barrel.
You could do the same.
To reload mine, I used 350 remmag dies to necksize only.
Moderate loads with cast bullets dont need FL sizing.
If you had to FL size, buy a 303 Savage die and cut it off where the neck meets the shoulder at the point where only shoulder and body are affected.
Be sure to file off the original cartridge marking on the barrel as if it's there, he stamps a bunch of ugly "X" s over it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Plab
Originally Posted by JeffG

I've been trying to reach them Jeff I want to know if he needs the barrel on or off the action. I'm assuming they headspace it and marked the barrel with the caliber ? wish they had an email address

I've researched the the conversion from 303sav to 35 rem .. chambering will work dimension wise

plab

I sent all of mine as complete barreled actions, including the trigger. Got each on back with fired cases in the new caliber and the target.

FWIW, I've asked JES to put the caliber marking on the underside of the barrel and was obliged. On all of my rebores I have milled out the original caliber marking and had the new caliber engraved in the mill cut.

Plab Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ElkHtrNevada
JES did a 30 to 35 rebore for me using the original cartridge. Just opened up the neck to 35 and bored and rifled the barrel.
You could do the same.
To reload mine, I used 350 remmag dies to necksize only.
Moderate loads with cast bullets dont need FL sizing.
If you had to FL size, buy a 303 Savage die and cut it off where the neck meets the shoulder at the point where only shoulder and body are affected.
Be sure to file off the original cartridge marking on the barrel as if it's there, he stamps a bunch of ugly "X" s over it.

I could do that ,.. I'm a loader and reload 37 calibers.. I don't really want a wildcat

Gotta love them 303's
Plab Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Wifowler: thanks for the information those are the questions I had for him. my barrel has no marking on it so it would be great if he marks it nothing else to hide

plab

Gotta love them 303's
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
691 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 72 invisible), 3,112 guests, and 1,438 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,679
Posts18,399,604
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.