Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
So, I’m into lightweight rifles. Think Kimber Montana, Remington 700 Titanium, Weatherby backcountry, etc. That being said, I’ve got a Pre-64 model 70 that I’m considering building on. I also have a Brown Precision stock for it, that weighs in at 24oz. Was thinking of a carbon barrel, in something like 280ai, 7mm Weatherby RPM, etc. finished at 22”-24”. Has anyone gone this route before? What could one expect the finished weight to be of similar rifle, or how light can a Pre-64 be made?

Oh, and believe it or not, deer bite. Fairly hard.
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
About 6 to 6 and a 1/4 bare I think. Not sure how the carbon barrel factors but the 0 and 1 contours were pretty light and your Brown should help stuff.

Sounds like a great project though.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by borden811
So, I’m into lightweight rifles. Think Kimber Montana, Remington 700 Titanium, Weatherby backcountry, etc. That being said, I’ve got a Pre-64 model 70 that I’m considering building on. I also have a Brown Precision stock for it, that weighs in at 24oz. Was thinking of a carbon barrel, in something like 280ai, 7mm Weatherby RPM, etc. finished at 22”-24”. Has anyone gone this route before? What could one expect the finished weight to be of similar rifle, or how light can a Pre-64 be made?

The lightest ones I have are 7 pounds on the nose with Talley mounts. The H&H receiver is lighter than your standard receiver. IF your stock is a PoundR, that is going to help for sure. That is how both of mine are stocked. Great stocks by the way. They really mitigate recoil well.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Crappy pic, but you get the idea on weight. That rifle uses aluminum fwt bottom metal, so that reduces the overall weight by a few oz's. A carbon fiber wrapped barrel should bring the weight down quite a bit. Build it and let us know what it weighs when you are done. Should be a cool project. Good luck with it..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
You can’t build a super light M70 because the action is around 40oz. A Ti Rem 700 is around 20 for a comparison.
Also the Proof Carbon wrapped barrels are at least 11-12oz heavier that the M70 Fwt barrel which is around 2#-2oz depending on the size of the hole.
The Douglas Fwt barrels are about as light as you can get.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
The lightest pre-64 M70’s are original Fwt’s with Brown PoundR stocks that are installed by Brown Precision.
Haven’t seen a single installer come close to Brown with the PoundR AND be aware that a conventional pad will gain all the weight you are trying to loose.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
My son's pre 64 M70 06' fwt
(factory barrel) w/o scope and mounts is just a hair under 6 1/2 pounds with a mcm edge, 1" pad but it does have steel Williams 1pcs.BM.
I have several set up about the same way and scoped they are all right about 8 lbs. but his is the lightest of the group.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Yeah, beretzs is spot on. Hard to make a ~44 oz action much lighter. And that’s with the featherweight barrel weighing 34 oz. Your carbon is going to add at least 8 oz to that even if you go with the lightest carbon 6.

I would also check to make sure that you’re going to have enough space in that brown for a thick carbon contour.

O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
I have two questions: what are you going to so with this rifle, and how do you define "light"?

I hunt blacktails an island in western Washington. The typical shot is about 35 yards, fast, and offhand, and it often comes toward the end of 10-12 hours of still-hunting on old trails in dense brush and pouring rain. I tried a lot of different things but the best rifle I ever found for that was a pre-64 M-70 Featherweight 308 in a Pacific Research stock with a 4x Leupold in Weaver rings and bases. Ready to hunt, it weighed 7.5 pounds. It balanced perfectly for close, fast shots, it was easy to carry for long stretches, and I put a lot of meat on the table with it.

There are plenty of ways to minimize the weight you add to a heavy action, but at the end of the day, that's still what you're doing. So rather than locking in on weight, what if you build a rifle that works for the way you hunt?

Instead of trying to turn a M-70 in to something it was never meant to be, maybe use it for a cartridge that needs some weight like a 35 Whelen, 9.3x62, or 338 WM. A lightweight stock like the Brown would help the rifle balance so the weight isn't all in once place. As long as you don't go crazy with the optic, you could come in around eight pounds scoped with a 22" barrel.

That's light for any of those cartridges, which you'll learn as soon as you touch one off in an eight-pound rifle.

Okie John

Last edited by okie john; 11/10/22.

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
270, 280, or 30-06 in a 22" Fwt contour, make it easy on yourself. It'll feed easy and shouldn't frustrate you w/mag-box length.

Last edited by horse1; 11/10/22.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
As has been said, M70 actions are heavy. There's a number of easy ways to lighten the rifle, the stock and barrel contour being the first place to start. Find a 24 oz stock and you're on your way. The M70 Featherweight barrel contour is a brilliant compromise that eliminates the typical barrel shank, but still has a nice medium taper from the little mini 1/4" shank to the muzzle. It's stiff, but not a pencil barrel like the M700 Mountain Rifle contour. The next place to think about weight is the scope and mounts. The Talley lightweight's in x-low are the place to be for lightweight unit. Mount a scope that doesn't go over 12 oz's. Bottom metal is another place to look - ditch the factory stuff and go to an all-aluminum bottom metal assembly (like PT&G). Get rid of the metal factory follower and replace it with a composite follower. Use a Butler Creek Mountain Sling (there really is no lighter, functional sling). You can even ditch the factory firing pin and get a Tubbs speed lock unit, saving an ounce.

Here's a lightweight 308 Win I did (you could lose 2 oz's going to a blind magazine with aluminum trigger bow and losing one round) :

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Dog Schit glass and mounting systems,ain't a "savings" but rather heavy concessions and them differences are stark. Pun be intended. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...........

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
As has been said, M70 actions are heavy. There's a number of easy ways to lighten the rifle, the stock and barrel contour being the first place to start. Find a 24 oz stock and you're on your way. The M70 Featherweight barrel contour is a brilliant compromise that eliminates the typical barrel shank, but still has a nice medium taper from the little mini 1/4" shank to the muzzle. It's stiff, but not a pencil barrel like the M700 Mountain Rifle contour. The next place to think about weight is the scope and mounts. The Talley lightweight's in x-low are the place to be for lightweight unit. Mount a scope that doesn't go over 12 oz's. Bottom metal is another place to look - ditch the factory stuff and go to an all-aluminum bottom metal assembly (like PT&G). Get rid of the metal factory follower and replace it with a composite follower. Use a Butler Creek Mountain Sling (there really is no lighter, functional sling). You can even ditch the factory firing pin and get a Tubbs speed lock unit, saving an ounce.

Here's a lightweight 308 Win I did (you could lose 2 oz's going to a blind magazine with aluminum trigger bow and losing one round) :

That's a gorgeous rifle. Let me know if you ever get tired of it.

Okie John

If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Pray for BS. He knows not that which he does not know.

Last edited by RinB; 11/10/22.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If Delusional Dumbfhuqktitude soothes your Realities,you are welcome to it. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Bless your heart.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Maybe you shouldn’t toss those rifles on a pile of rocks before shooting them for YouTube ??

LOL…. I guess that’s how you break in scope rings ?

You have to laugh at yourself every once and a while stick.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
With a Brown PoundR stock that really does weigh a pound before finishing, you MIGHT get a complete rifle with scope to go under 7 pounds. There’s just too much weight in a 70 to ever get a complete rig like those you mentioned. Couple years ago my son had Kevin Weaver make him a light 270 on a M70. Kevin used a light contour 22” barrel, fluted it as well as the bolt body, removed as much weight as he could from the action and mag box, aluminum bottom metal, Hunter Edge stock. with a VX3 scope it still went over 7.
For comparison, my Wby Back Country weigh 6-3/4 all up, with a 20oz scope.

Last edited by John55; 11/10/22.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
That's a nice rifle Brad! Mine is right at 7lbs 1.8oz scoped not bad for a .30-06. I deleted the bottom metal, and used a 670 TG.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
My FWT 308 is 7.4 lbs. But, that aint because Winchester did me any favors. There aint much featherweight about the Featherweight.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks for the feedback guys. To answer a few questions:

I plan on hunting deer in PA with it(unique situation in the places I normally hunt where I can shoot pretty much as far as I can see, but wouldn’t plan on shooting over 600 yards). Also woukd use it out west(Montana, Wyoming, etc. for mule deer and elk).

Rifle weight versus recoil isn’t a concern. I currently have/shoot a 5lb 15oz 7mm-08 with 150s at 2850fps, a 6lb 12oz 6.5 Wby RPM with 140s at 3000fps, a 7lb 3oz 350 Rem Mag with 225s at 2700fps, a 7lb 15oz 7mm wsm with 160s at 3020fps, and an 8lb 10oz 300 RUM with 200s at 3150fps.

The brown precision stock I have currently weighs 24oz, and according to a few rough measurements, there’s enough room in the barrel channel to fit a proof research in it that’s the same dimensions as the one on my 7mm wsm, with a little bit of material removal(so maybe lose a couple oz there).

It’s all just an idea at this point. The pre 64 that I plan on using for the build is nothing more than a shooter grade rifle at best(sights removed eand rear dovetail filled and blended with barrel contour, reblued, bottom metal worn shiny, etc. No collector value whatsoever, so figured I would do something interesting with it.

Oh, and believe it or not, deer bite. Fairly hard.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
TwatShooter,

To date,I've only had (8) LW's fail me. Hint.

'Course,I long ago discontinued their service from my larder,which by default,precludes the 9th failure. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

Hint.................

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

303 members (10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 16penny, 204guy, 1minute, 1moredeer, 41 invisible), 2,390 guests, and 1,033 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,168
Posts18,465,352
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.