-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have never had one in a pie that I am aware of. I sure like them fried with a remoulade though.

A person who's happy will make others happy. Anne Frank
GB1

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I don't care much for them.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have always love them. I have a bunch I need to pick before the freeze this weekend.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't care for green tomatoes but Im going to pick about 200 before tomorrow nights frost .

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Geno67
I have never had one in a pie that I am aware of. I sure like them fried with a remoulade though.
Way back in HS a friend's family invited me to stay for dinner. They'd just slaughtered a hog (yes, in SoCal even) and were having fresh liver for dinner.

Mom came out after dinner with a pie and asked if I'd like a slice. I said of course. She said you don't even know what it is. I said "Mrs Brown, if you fixed it, it's probably good".

Then she told me it was a green tomato pie.

It was delish!

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I like green tomatoes fried and I like them grilled too.

N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by Valsdad
The movie was a hoot.

They taste wonderful too.

Believe it or not, they make a nice pie too, substitute for apples.
I’ve heard that but haven’t ever tried it.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Way back in HS a friend's family invited me to stay for dinner. They'd just slaughtered a hog (yes, in SoCal even) and were having fresh liver for dinner.

Mom came out after dinner with a pie and asked if I'd like a slice. I said of course. She said you don't even know what it is. I said "Mrs Brown, if you fixed it, it's probably good".

Then she told me it was a green tomato pie.

It was delish!
🤢

N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by Borchardt
Ripe tomatoes are bad enough, why in Hell would you want to eat green ones?
I’m not a huge fan of ripe tomatoes on anything but don’t complain if they come on something I ordered and will eat them. I consider them to be overripe. 😉

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I have to skin any ripe tomato I use

Had to school some ‘posers’ on another live platform. Flat bill cap doofus bragging about his tomato sandwich.

900 some odd people on there acted as if thst was a completely foreign concept to peel a tomato

IC B3

N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by slumlord

Had to school some ‘posers’ on another live platform. Flat bill cap doofus bragging about his tomato sandwich.

900 some odd people on there acted as if thst was a completely foreign concept to peel a tomato

The flat bills are to lazy to peel the damn things but if they only knew that there might be some residual piss on them the knives would come out. 😂😂

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Hate raw red tomatoes
Love everything made with cooked tomatoes
Fried green tomatoes are awesome! On par with thin slices of fried yellow squash.
Ditto

if a man speaks, and there isn't a woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Residual piss? Really? You're worried about something that it would take a forensics CSI team to detect? Howard Hughes Syndrome.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Other Geno - I would try a pie. I'm very open minded when it comes to food (kimchi sucks and balut will kill you in case you were wondering).

If stuff on the outside of produce will get you, I'm long overdue for it. Unless it's got poop or a lot of dirt on it, I never wash any of it.

A person who's happy will make others happy. Anne Frank
N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Residual piss? Really? You're worried about something that it would take a forensics CSI team to detect? Howard Hughes Syndrome.
It was a joke if you read back a few posts

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Never heard of peeling a ripe tomato.
Curious, do you peel grapes also🤔

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Other Geno - I would try a pie. I'm very open minded when it comes to food (kimchi sucks and balut will kill you in case you were wondering).

If stuff on the outside of produce will get you, I'm long overdue for it. Unless it's got poop or a lot of dirt on it, I never wash any of it.
Maybe next year, if I can get tomatoes to produce in this climate, I may have the wife make a crust and I'll make a green tomato pie. I think I'm going to start plants indoors and early, gallon or two gallon size pots, and keep them in until after June 15th before putting them out. Anything I got out last year either got stunted or didn't get going and failed to produce much other than a few fruits.

But, as of yesterday I still had green plants under the hoops in the garden bed. Layer of greenhouse plastic, then two layers of row cover,3 layers of sheets and old mattress protectors go back on every night, sometimes they stay on all day if it's too cold.

Not sure if the 12F night wiped them out last night. Just now getting up to 32, so in another hour or so I go out to check.

I will eat kimchi, but I doubt I'll try balut.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MPat70

Never heard of peeling a ripe tomato.
Curious, do you peel grapes also🤔

Nope don’t peel grapes and I don’t see the correlation

Do you core grapes?

I do not leave peelings on apples when pies and preserves are made
We don’t leave peelings on when preparing tomatoes for canning
We don’t leave the peelings on spuds when making mashed potatoes

The peeling on many tomatoes is stringy, to me- and this is just me, feels like I have pieces of plastic in my mouth.

The old folks in 5 different southern states I’ve lived in have always peeled them with a good, sharp blade. Only takes 30 seconds and makes sandwiches much better and if you serve sliced tomatoes as a side, you can cut with a fork. You can take one bite and breaks free. Like when eating a sandwich you dont get a whole goddamm mayo slathered slice falling off onto your Dungarees like you would if left that damn nasty 3 mil thick peeling on there

One more, in case any Yankees are doing this chit too, tomatoes in the fridge is a major faux pas as well. ***gag***

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Geno, A neighbor of yours just over the hill near Adin puts her plants in a wheelbarrow/garden cart thing. Wheels 'em out to the south face of the house for day sun, wheels 'em in at night. Not too much of a hassle compared with covering and uncovering. She is right at 4.400 feet.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Geno you may just have to build yourself a small greenhouse.

See, ole slumlord was a younger man and knew he one day wanted to build a greenhouse.

Thought I would do it on the cheap…so slum save a lot of old thermal pane windows from several window replacement job. They are all stacked up beside a shed across from his smokehouse.

Now, I decided to use poly carb panel instead.

But if you could go hang out at the dump with Nugget, you might score some windows and pallets and maybe the remnants of a piece of crap treated lumber playground or deck that is being demolished.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

617 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 160user, 69 invisible), 2,073 guests, and 1,192 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,266
Posts18,448,266
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.