24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
These days I kill a lot of steel from 850 to 1000 every month. May through October... 1000 yard bench rest silhouette is my game.
I shoot two classes of rifles a 12 and 17 pound.
Running everything from a 6mm BRA. To a 300 SAUM.
This takes up most of my shooting efforts these days.
But 35 years ago.
I did alot of wood chuck hunting.
ALOT.
Back then it was pretty much all I did.
My first custom was built by Nelson Berger.Of marshallsville Ohio.
A 22 CHeetah on a 40x action.
I made those little buggers pay.
Running the Slow 1-16 twist and 52g Bergers I found it very effective out to 500 And I think my longest was right around 550.
Later I built a second CHeetah a much different set up built by Clarence Hammond of Red Lion PA.
This rifle was a full on BR rifle Stolle action McMillian BR stock and a Lilja 28 inch bull barrel. 1-15 twist.
I shot piles of chucks and did very well from 350 to 550.
One evening I pulled out my 1936 German Army
Barr and Stroud 250 meter baseline range finder... Yes the Brits sold them to Germany before the war .
660 yards is what it worked out to.
Not supposed to be able to get those light bullets to do that kind of stuff. But back then I didn't know what I didn't know..
These days if I had a peskie chuck that needed a bullet.
I'd just dig out a bench gun and letum have it.
Might use a Lazer

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by huntsman22
My longest poke on steel was at the first Icebreaker I went to. 1970 yards, 3 consecutive hits with 140 Amax's from a factory Ruger hawkeye Predator 6.5 creed. The little red plastic tips were all laying right under the gong. 2 of them looked like new and you could load them back up and go again, but the 3rd was kinda mangled. Not much poop behind a creed at that distance and the angle of impact must be pretty steep......
That was fun.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by huntsman22
My longest poke on steel was at the first Icebreaker I went to. 1970 yards, 3 consecutive hits with 140 Amax's from a factory Ruger hawkeye Predator 6.5 creed. The little red plastic tips were all laying right under the gong. 2 of them looked like new and you could load them back up and go again, but the 3rd was kinda mangled. Not much poop behind a creed at that distance and the angle of impact must be pretty steep......

Long! Gunga Galunga!

[video:youtube]
[/video]

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I am no "long range" hunter, though I am set up for shots out to 800 yards. My furthest thus far was 600 yards on the nose, on the last day of the season as the herd was headed into the timber to bed. Raghorn meat bull near Bondurant, WY. I prefer to get closer if realistic to do so, but I carry a rifle capable of longer shots just for situations as described.

My next longest was another rag bull as 552 yards on the same ridgeline and an antelope at 558 yards.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I am no "long range" hunter, though I am set up for shots out to 800 yards. My furthest thus far was 600 yards on the nose, on the last day of the season as the herd was headed into the timber to bed. Raghorn meat bull near Bondurant, WY. I prefer to get closer if realistic to do so, but I carry a rifle capable of longer shots just for situations as described.

My next longest was another rag bull as 552 yards on the same ridgeline and an antelope at 558 yards.

Same philosophy here. Why not be able to shoot your rifle accurately as far as it’s capable of killing.

👍🏼

The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Was out in a field shooting water-filled milk jugs, balloons, etc., out to about 600 yards, when I spotted a coyote in an adjacent field mousing in the snow. After a couple of tries, the Leica LRF1200 gave a reading on the coyote of 942 yards. I was shooting a Tikka in .25-06 with 100gr SMK, and after checking DOPE, I dialed the correction into the Burris FFII Tactical 3-9x. Incidentally, that was the best-tracking Burris I ever owned.

Jordan,

The Burris FFII "Tactical" (which had a 30mm tube) was made close to 20 years ago, and featured a much stronger coil-spring erector-tube adjustment system than the 1" FFIIs. I know this because of getting one way back then--and still owning it today, due to it being so reliable on several rifles. Right now it's on my 6.5 PRC, a custom rifle by Charlie Sisk, which has been among my favorites over the past couple years.

But apparently most shooters couldn't believe such a "cheap" scope could dial so reliably, and hold up so well, so it was discontinued. But a few years ago Burris offered basically the same scope, but changed the name to the C4. Tested one of those and it also was dead-nuts, but apparently the same thing happened with the "perceived value," and it didn't last long.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Originally Posted by T_Inman

Same philosophy here. Why not be able to shoot your rifle accurately as far as it’s capable of killing.

👍🏼

Yep, distance is just a tool in the tool-box, not a philosophy or intended tactic for me.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Was out in a field shooting water-filled milk jugs, balloons, etc., out to about 600 yards, when I spotted a coyote in an adjacent field mousing in the snow. After a couple of tries, the Leica LRF1200 gave a reading on the coyote of 942 yards. I was shooting a Tikka in .25-06 with 100gr SMK, and after checking DOPE, I dialed the correction into the Burris FFII Tactical 3-9x. Incidentally, that was the best-tracking Burris I ever owned.

Jordan,

The Burris FFII "Tactical" (which had a 30mm tube) was made close to 20 years ago, and featured a much stronger coil-spring erector-tube adjustment system than the 1" FFIIs. I know this because of getting one way back then--and still owning it today, due to it being so reliable on several rifles. Right now it's on my 6.5 PRC, a custom rifle by Charlie Sisk, which has been among my favorites over the past couple years.

But apparently most shooters couldn't believe such a "cheap" scope could dial so reliably, and hold up so well, so it was discontinued. But a few years ago Burris offered basically the same scope, but changed the name to the C4. Tested one of those and it also was dead-nuts, but apparently the same thing happened with the "perceived value," and it didn't last long.
Thanks for the info, JB. I only owned that one FFII Tactical, and I eventually let it go as a package deal when I sold the Tikka it was mounted on at the time, but it always worked flawlessly. Interesting about the C4.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by chamois
The question actually was what is the typical distance we take big game at, not the longest distances at which we've done it.
My reply was #1 because most of the time I'd rather try to get close.
Not in this case, though, when this big male baboon stopped after a 640 meter (700 yds) run when he thought he was safe, too far for a 105gr VLD from my 6XC to reach him. :-))

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by chamois
The question actually was what is the typical distance we take big game at, not the longest distances at which we've done it.
My reply was #1 because most of the time I'd rather try to get close.
Not in this case, though, when this big male baboon stopped after a 640 meter (700 yds) run when he thought he was safe, too far for a 105gr VLD from my 6XC to reach him. :-))

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

That’s a critter I’d like to kill for the skull. Excellent!

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Antelope near Medicine Bow, Wyoming @ 777 yards 3X15X50 NXS, 300 win 180 TSX

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
525 Yards - Freehand - No Rest and Standing with my P1917 .30-06

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by KillerBee; 11/25/22.

KB

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by KillerBee

Nice!

Are you a silhouette shooter?

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

Good morning to you sir!

Could you tell me what a silhouette shooter is?

Not familiar with that term in the shooting sense?

Thanks ~ KB

KB

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Good morning to you sir!

Could you tell me what a silhouette shooter is?

Not familiar with that term in the shooting sense?

Thanks ~ KB

It’s a rifle game shooting steel silhouettes from off-hand standing

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
It’s a rifle game shooting steel silhouettes from off-hand standing

Hi Rick, hope your day is going great!

Gotta say you take great pictures of your hunts, outstanding.

To answer your question, no.

The only shooting I do is a week before hunting season I go to my friend's farm, and we set up 2 - 10" plates one at 200 yards the other at 500 yards.

I only own two rifles, and my go to rifle is my 1917, a real tack driver. I have it zero'ed at 200 yards and my typical shots are < 200 yards. I have been shooting for over 50 years and have become an excellent shot because of it. I basically consider myself an "Instinctive Shooter". When I go shooting, I just want to know that my scope is on and has not changed by being knocked around. If it's off, I will make the necessary adjustments and then go hunting. I shoot at the 500-yard plate with my .300 Win Mag. I have killed many deer and several moose freehand, so I am comfortable shooting freehand.

I bought my .300 Win Mag and set it up for long-range shooting specifically because of that moose I shot above, I did not like the guesswork involved at that distance with my 1917. I came to the conclusion that the setup on my 1917 was not really appropriate for longer range shooting, and I wanted a more powerful caliber rifle with a much better scope on it, specifically for elk hunting, and to take the guess work out of aiming and shooting at longer ranges. To me long-range shooting with my 1917 and the scope that is on it, is over 300 yards.

The scope I have on my 1917 is a BAUSCH & LOMB Rainguard Elite 2.5-10x and is not what I would call a long-range scope by any means.

When I shot that moose, I was in a very big meadow, I called out two bulls that came out of the tree line and I was standing in the meadow with nothing to use as a rest and it was the only shot I had, so I took it. I am an excellent moose caller and my typical shots on moose are <100 yards, because I call them in all the time, my closest was 20 yards, but that was with my bow.

Have a great Sunday ~ KB

Last edited by KillerBee; 11/27/22.

KB

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Prairie dogs at 625. Out at huntsman's place. Don't have the pics any more but Don posted them on the varmint forum:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...-dead-critter-and-fur-thread#Post9970774

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
smokepole, I went to the thread and saw this from 6MMWASP, with the caption "Never Saw It Coming" hilarious!

Gotta love my brother the WASP!

https://i1040.photobucket.com/albums/b406/6MMWASP/Dog_zpsualjocip.jpg

KB

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
618 yards. There's a bull dead out there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sweet!

I love shooting off my pack in the field.

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Little brother with his bull at 675. M70, 300 Win, 200 AB.

Semper Fi
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
693 members (11point, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 160user, 117LBS, 12344mag, 75 invisible), 2,684 guests, and 1,320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,689
Posts18,399,819
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.