Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I LOVE hearing and seeing the woods wake up. So morning for me. But mid day 10-2 has been my most productive by far.

Camp is where you make it.
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I stay in the woods all day, I've taken more deer in the morning but the last several years evenings have been productive too. I used to come out of the woods for lunch and a nap, but now pack a lunch and have seen many deer moving during mid-day.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have had equal success. I prefer cleaning deer in daylight and wish I could shoot in the.morning. The thing I like about PM hunts is the closer to the end of the hunt the better the odds. In the morning after 10 It seems like a waste of time.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I prefer being out in the morning and I prefer dealing with dead deer in the daylight. That said, I’ve probably killed as many big bucks evenings and midday as in the mornings. If I hunt late, until dark It’s always from an elevated stand where I only have close range opportunities and I generally use my .45-70 which tends to leave a very good blood trail

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It depends on what’s happening.

I start the season with morning hunts and usually see enough game to keep me interested. But after a while, morning hunts quit producing and I switch to afternoon.

That happened this year. I passed easy shots on four different young bucks, while looking for something bigger.
I switched to afternoon and by 3:00 was seeing a number of deer starting to move. I killed a good buck an hour before dark.

Hunting pressure, weather and moon faze seem to be the factors that guide the deer movement.

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by roundoak
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I like mornings best, as I like watching everything come to life as the sun rises. I can't say one is more productive than the other though. I've killed quite a few big bucks in the middle of the day.

^^^^^^^ This ^^^^^^^

+2

With a few exceptions, I've killed the majority of my better bucks between 10AM and 2pm.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I’m getting some freezer pleasers….

Evening.

During the Rut i like mornings.

I’ve seen more bucks in the first half they day then evenings….

I’ll sit longer also.

Maybe til 11 or so.

Then gotta go to Bumpers and get a hamburger and onion rings.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
If I don't have to work the following day then it's easy for me, evenings.
Not that I don't like morning hunts as well.

FJB & FJT
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Anytime

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I kill most of mine 10am - noon. Takes an hour to hike in. Hunt a few hours. Kill one. Hour to bone out. Hour or so back to truck. It gets dark at 430 now so you can’t do too much screwing around. I always like to leave a few hour buffer in case I get turned around or hurt.

IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I have no idea if I've killed more in the morning or afternoon. Probably about equal. I typically only hunt for 1 1/2 to 2 hours at a time. My problem is my work schedule Mon thru Sat morning. I'll scoot out of here early on Fridays around 2:00 and I can be in a stand by 3:00. Hunt for a couple of hours Sat. morning and then go to work late. Then I can go Sat night and Sun. morning. Got home stuff to do or deer to cut up in between.

The mornings are really nice, but I have to get my ass out of bed and go, even if it's raining or something. It is a lot less worrisome about tracking if need be. It's also a lot easier when gutting it in the daylight.

I refer to the last hour of daylight in the evening as "Happy Hour". The majority of my deer taken in the afternoon is during Happy Hour. Shot a small 8 point Saturday night at dark thirty. Luckily he went down right away. If it was a little lighter out, I might have let him walk because there are some bigger guys hanging around. It was a little hard to see what I had.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
It depends what I am hunting. I should say what I hunted because I am now physically limited.

Elk......I prefer to hunt alone, still hunting and smelling animals before I see them. Use to walk up hill for about two hours in the dark to get on a north-south ridge where the wind came from the west. When shooting time came I would still hunt north on the east side just down from the crest. Blowing snow was my favorite time to get close to good bulls after smelling them. Several were taken under 40 yards.

Mule deer ......almost the same as hunting elk.

Whitetail........Last hour of legal shooting time.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I typically hunt evenings. I work too much

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
O typically like mornings better. But killed the better bucks in the midway 11-2.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 11point, 12344mag, 45 invisible), 2,543 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,360
Posts18,468,975
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.