Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
AGL4now Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
A

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Seems like caribou are suffering everywhere....sad.
I hunted the Mulchatna herd when it was going strong.

https://canadiangeographic.ca/articles/caribou-are-vanishing-at-an-alarming-rate-is-it-too-late-to-save-them/#:~:text=After%20more%20than%20a%20million,and%20even%20harder%20to%20reverse.

Proud NRA Life Member
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
This statement says it all and proves that closing hunting to the roundeyes does NOT affect the population of the herd!…..

“ While local subsistence hunters welcomed the closures, the total number of animals harvested by the non-federally qualified users is relatively small and it’s entirely made up of bulls, so the closures did not affect the population numbers, Joly said.”

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
While local subsistence hunters welcomed the closures

"Welcomed"..... No, they demanded it - and it had nothing to do with herd dynamics, but that was a handle to hang it on.

Racist and protectionism are ugly words.

I will say, however, that they get little or nothing of monetary value out of the visiting "sport" hunters. No guiding, equipment rentals and very little of anything else.

Last edited by las; 11/10/22.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by las

"Welcomed"..... No, they demanded it - and it had nothing to do with herd dynamics, but that was a handle to hang it on.

I will say, however, that they get little or nothing of monetary value out of the visiting "sport" hunters. No guiding, equipment rentals and very little of anything else.

They get a fair amount of meat donated to them from the outfitters who guide sport hunters. That has ‘monetary’ value in the form of not having to buy meat and not spending money on fuel to go get it themselves.

IC B2

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
No, according to them, it is all dumped into the Kotzebue Lagoon as the plane taxis in.....

Well, that did happen once....apparently - I only heard about it - it was before my time there.

I heard from elsewhere that the hunters were weathered in long enough for the meat to spoil.

If so, they did an extremely dumb thing, even tho they technically met the requirement to bring the meat out of the field. I dunno- they may even have been cited for wanton waste. If the meat was spoiled, a LEO should have signed off on it.

Never-the-less, the locals will be using the incident for the next 100 years, or until they get everything they want.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Mine sat in camp 10 days this year on the north slope. It was rarely freezinf. The meat was excellent. My grizzly hide, however, is suspect

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by las
No, according to them, it is all dumped into the Kotzebue Lagoon as the plane taxis in.....

Well, that did happen once....apparently - I only heard about it - it was before my time there.

I heard from elsewhere that the hunters were weathered in long enough for the meat to spoil.

If so, they did an extremely dumb thing, even tho they technically met the requirement to bring the meat out of the field. I dunno- they may even have been cited for wanton waste. If the meat was spoiled, a LEO should have signed off on it.

Never-the-less, the locals will be using the incident for the next 100 years, or until they get everything they want.

I have zero doubt that claim is made all over rural Alaska and the locals use it to their advantage.....
It very well may happen on occasion but I suspect it is very rare, or else the troopers would be all over it...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Mine sat in camp 10 days this year on the north slope. It was rarely freezinf. The meat was excellent. My grizzly hide, however, is suspect

Guided? May I ask who you went with?

79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Lol good golly we don’t know why the herd is crashing..

“The thing that stands out the most is that we’ve had a low survival rate of adult females, adult cows,” Joly said. “What is causing that decline or lower survival rates of cows, we just don’t know. We are looking into different factors.”

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by 79S
Lol good golly we don’t know why the herd is crashing..

“The thing that stands out the most is that we’ve had a low survival rate of adult females, adult cows,” Joly said. “What is causing that decline or lower survival rates of cows, we just don’t know. We are looking into different factors.”

F&G comes up with goofy reg changes like they did on the slope 10 years ago, hunters galore, air taxis galore, herd crashes... F&G can't figure it out, so they get federal money to research what happened.... that appears to be their modis operandi to coming up with money.

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Well, there is this also- From the time rut starts, until April or May, most native hunters will only shoot cows. The bulls are skinny- they want fat cows. Which of course are all pregnant, if they haven't been run too much via snow machine to the point they abort. Even if they don't, the calves that are born are likely to have been impacted, leading to lower survival rates.

But don't discount weather and habitat change, forage degradation or heavy browsing.

79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I had a gal argue with me she was native from kotzebue she said the pipeline changed to migration into kotzebue. Her grandpa talked how caribou would come through kotzebue. But the pipeline changed that. I told her the WACH herd doesn’t go anywhere near the pipeline and that herd is the CACH. She said don’t care what herd it is their more caribou in kotzebue because of the pipeline. I’m like wtf

Last edited by 79S; 11/11/22.

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I seen videos of the native just wearing out caribou from a boat as they cross the river. I mean just wearing them out.. now they are bitching. Sean Parnell had a plan to connect western Alaska to the road system. But the fake NG story ended that when he lost. Mike Dunleavy needs to move forward and put a road in to nome at least.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When we first opened Sportsman's in Anchorage I had an older Native man come in and was talking with him. He told me that he didn't like AR15's because "by the time you run out of ammo, there's too many caribou floating down river and you can't round them all up"
I just shook my head.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 358Norma_fan
When we first opened Sportsman's in Anchorage I had an older Native man come in and was talking with him. He told me that he didn't like AR15's because "by the time you run out of ammo, there's too many caribou floating down river and you can't round them all up"
I just shook my head.

Oh come on now, the natives are the true conservationists…

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Originally Posted by dennisinaz

Guided? May I ask who you went with?

DIY.

couldn't get through the ,Alatna with fog

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I thoroughly enjoyed my self guided Mulchatna Caribou hunts.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Proud NRA Life Member
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by las

Wouldn't one call that lazy stupidity? The opportunity to guide, rent etc.. is there for all to give a go at.

nothing is life is guaranteed and you certainly have to change as you go along or you are behind...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by 79S
I seen videos of the native just wearing out caribou from a boat as they cross the river. I mean just wearing them out.. now they are bitching. Sean Parnell had a plan to connect western Alaska to the road system. But the fake NG story ended that when he lost. Mike Dunleavy needs to move forward and put a road in to nome at least.
I despise roads. LOL. But I really do. They just make the world a smaller place every single time.

Too many dang people populate the planet unfortunately and they demand access to everything the easiest way possible.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

700 members (007FJ, 160user, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1234, 64 invisible), 3,124 guests, and 1,366 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,579
Posts18,454,063
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.