Campfire Regular
T
Nice going you guys

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 44mc
KB I am with you no body is touching my meat . I enjoy doing it too

We are both wise men lol Nobody has touched my animals for over 30 years. My dad said to me one time "If you want AAA Red Game on your diner plate take care of it yourself from the field to the diner plate. Was he ever right, AGAIN! :o)

KB

Last edited by KillerBee; 11/22/22.

KB

673 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I hear you guys.
The only time I ever took an animal to a butcher......I shot a nice Whitetail in late Oct, got back something we couldn't eat, that was 40 years ago.
When you do your own game, you clean it better, (super important if its trim for sausage) cut it the way you want, package it the way you want, and save $$$.

My problem is finding and retaining a quality sausage maker, in 45 years I have only had 3, now #3 is retiring, he was the best I have had.
I just found # 4, he seems pretty good and will proceed with caution lol. I put all my eggs in one basket once and got back 250 lbs of rank sausage that was horrible, still pizzed about that.
We may begin to make our own if we build the smoker we keep talking about.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
673 - nice set up with the saw.

Personally I bone everything out including a bison I shot a few years back. On the grinder I have a Cabelas 3/4 Hp and when I am cutting up the animal I try for longer strips vs chunks. If I have time and am organized I keep pieces with sinew (shanks) separate and try to freeze them a bit before grinding. This batch goes through twice.

I just started on my third deer tonight (MDB) and have a processor that will do sausage in 15 lb batches - jerky 10lbs per batch -- so weigh, bag, vacuum seal and freeze. Take it in a few times during the year which makes for fresher product.

One more tag -- late season anterless moose. I am hoping I can find a yearling or calf.

On the MDB I was in a draw zone and came across a large forkhorn with a broken back leg. Rather than looking at it, walking away and leaving it for the coyotes I closed my tag on it. Long time to get drawn but no issues on my part doing this - felt right at the time and still does. The back leg was broken right at the knee --- puncture wound and the bone was shattered. Fight or long distance shot --- either way would be speculation as there were no bullet fragments present. Cut and cleaned this quarter today -- no smell, some yellow fluid down the leg to the lower joint where there was another injury (so perhaps pointing to a fight). I had a steak tonight from this deer and it was excellent.

Season so far has been very good --- good number of ducks, huge number of white geese (all processed into ground formed jerkey), 3 deer (I have left 2 additional tags unfilled) and a moose hunt left.

All the best to you in finding a processor

Hugh
673 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Good idea to take the injured Buck Hugh!

The saw worked good, I need to fine tune it and my technique, but otherwise a good deal all around, grinds exellent.
Back when I first started cutting my own meat, the old timers just used a hand meatsaw, then I just started boning everything. We had Moose ribs tonight, they were exellent, I cut them on the saw about 4in long, took about 5 minutes to cut up both sides.

This freezer is a 15cuft and the Moose filled it completely, I suspect accurate with my original guess at around 450lbs.
80 packs of steak (2)
25 packs chops (4)
46 roast
Select stew meat (primo)
55 packs of hamburger, 20% pork, exellent.
40lbs trim to have sausage made, ribs and miscellaneous cuts. Then we have 2 deer as well, Mule deer, they are exellent too. I really like Mule deer as I find them consistently good if taken before the rut. or early.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B2

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
92 members (99Ozarks, 10gaugemag, akpls, 16penny, 15 invisible), 1,682 guests, and 656 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,727
Posts18,400,741
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.