Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I didn't think many states released pen raised birds for hunting anymore so I was surprised that Wyoming does.

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/News/Bird-farms-provide-hunters-with-ample-opportunitie

I remember Illinois did some put/take hunts outside of Chicago but I'm not aware of too many states that do this anymore. Do any other states do this? If so, what's your opinion of it?

Texas releases rainbow trout in a bunch of local water ways starting next month but that's about the only put/take stuff I'm aware of around here. A lot of local public lands don't have many upland birds anymore and could probably get a lot of interest and participation if they did some release hunts. There are a few private clubs around here but they are fairly pricey.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Idaho does

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Pa. does some. Haven;t hunted there in many years.

Molon Labe
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
New York does.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Montana just started to release pen-raised birds onto public land for the first time in nearly 40 years.

A LOT of people think it is a bad idea because Montana is still one of the best places for wild pheasant hunting. And it increases the risk of disease introduction, sending youths out to pot inferior birds, genetic disfunction, predator training, and spending nearly $1mil. a year otherwise available for upland bird habitat acquisition and enhancement.

Other than that, no problem....

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No worry the pen raised hardly ever last the winter.

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Pa. does some. Haven;t hunted there in many years.

Somewhere over 200K birds a year.

A WHOLE BUNCH of pheasants stocked themselves about a month ago...........

https://www.thecourierexpress.com/t...c1b992e-5178-11ed-ba29-4bdbd5ad9df3.html

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
NY used to until those on welfare outnumbered the hunters.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Montana dusted off the chicken trucks for the first time in quite a while this year.

Ever see a golden eagle standing on a pile of pen raised birds? Or a coyote that can't hardly waddle walk with another pheasant in its mouth?

Predator welfare.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Washington does.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
"sending youths out to pot inferior birds"

WTF does that mean?

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by ElkHtrNevada
NY used to until those on welfare outnumbered the hunters.
NY still raises and releases 30,000 pheasants annually.

S
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
S
Wisconsin releases 75,000 per year.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by BKinSD
"sending youths out to pot inferior birds"

WTF does that mean?
Montana's birds aren't flight pen conditioned, so MIGHT fly 100 yards before crashing back to ground. They also don't have tails, so can't steer. They are also being released in high elevation state lands where there is no natural food, so they begin to starve. That is "WTF" it means.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
LMAO

Pardon me but what is the danger or harm in "sending youths out to pot inferior birds?"

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
LMAO

Pardon me but what is the danger or harm in "sending youths out to pot inferior birds?"

Let's see: it trains what might otherwise be a good bird dog to self hunt;
it trains the local predator population to target pheasants, and may even increase meso-predator density;
it trains kids to think pheasant hunting is easy. Hunting wild pheasants isn't easy, and it shouldn't be;
it risks introducing new diseases (especially parasites) to wild bird populations. This detriment has been proven in upland bird populations in Europe;
diverting funds from habitat acquisition programs, public access and habitat improvement which enhances wild bird hunting and populations to put-and-take pheasant hunting robs youths of future hunting opportunities.

Pheasant planting is a role for the private sector, private funds, private acreage, charging what the market will support. But expending public funds for pheasant planting on public acreage, when there are many other more sustainable and proven approaches? That is just wooly-headed thinking.

Last edited by GrouseChaser; 11/15/22.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Whether you do or don't put out pheasants doesn't matter to me. I don't care. In fact, I tend to agree with you as to your ultimate conclusion.

But to say that "sending youths out to pot inferior birds" is a reason, well that strains your argument well past the breaking point. I don't find alot of stock in any of your "sky is falling" arguments, really. But I do think its G%d Dam&$ed important to get kids out hunting anyway we can. If that means putting out "inferior birds" so they can shoot them, take them home and take a measure of pride in it, then I'm all for that.

PS Hunting wild pheasants is easy. I do it all the time.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
But I do think its G%d Dam&$ed important to get kids out hunting anyway we can. If that means putting out "inferior birds" so they can shoot them, take them home and take a measure of pride in it, then I'm all for that.

OK, well then let's award kids a participation trophy for firing a gun, even if they miss the target. Let's let them ride anywhere on ATVs, shoot anytime from vehicles, give them every artificial advantage to draw blood and snuff a critter. Heck, let's put tame three-legged deer out for kids to shoot too because "it is so G%d Dam&$ed important to get kids hunting anyway we can."

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I think most states where there is a pheasant season release a bunch.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
I think most states where there is a pheasant season release a bunch.
Until last year, Montana hadn't released any pen-raised pheasants on public land for about 40 years. And still is considered to have some of the best wild pheasant hunting in the nation.
They restarted growing and planting pheasants because of insider politics where the Deer Lodge state prison needed a new budget line item, so the state spent a million dollars of funds otherwise intended for habitat enhancement and wildlife habitat to build a hatchery and use prison labor to raise the birds. Bad deal.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
676 members (1Akshooter, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 79 invisible), 2,907 guests, and 1,422 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,670
Posts18,399,478
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.