Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Last night I got a call to help some physically handicapped hunters on a goose hunt. I kind of chuckled as I explained I have my leg in a brace from a break so could not help. I was told to come anyway as this was a land hunt so a lot fewer helpers are needed and they actually wanted me for my calling and dogs.

I get out there and ther were 7 of us total, 3 each and me. After getting a ton of grief from the guys as to how to get along with a physical handicap we settled in for the hunt.

The scouters did a fantastic job on the field as the first flock of geese bored straight in. 4 of 7 stayed. Another small flock came in and 3 remained. Then the birds got serious. A flock of at least 50 glided in and 12 hit the dirt. Before the dogs could bring in the first birds, another couple dozen geese came in. They flared off at the edge of the decoys and only 3 birds were brought down.

We had a short break in the action allowing the dogs to finish bringing the down geese before a migrating flock decided to parachute in. I didn't expect this as the high flyers this early in the morning are either heading south or looking for water to rest rather than food. 9 birds were shot, one of which was a snow goose that I missed seeing until a dog picked it up. Another small flock passed by but none were scratched down. Then the flights ended as abruptly as they begun. The first birds were seen shortly before 7 AM and the last around 8:40. It was a lot of close action in a short time which is not something they see often due to poor scouting and using bale blinds due to infirmities. The geese also followed our script rather than theirs which gave the handicapped hunters their best opportunties to make shots. The snow is going to the taxidermist while the rest were divvied up amongst those wanted them. It felt weird not doing more and will be glad and more appreciative when I can resume normal activities.

BP-B2

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Excellent.

Molon Labe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That sounds like an awesome hunt.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
101 members (10gaugeman, 338reddog, 405joe, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 10 invisible), 1,384 guests, and 693 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,873
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.