-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Inherited a Remington 1100 Magnum/plain 30" Full Choke.

Considering:

- Finding a 26-28" Mod/Rem choke ribbed field replacement Bbl..
- Cutting this plain Bbl. down to 18.5", re-mounting the front bead, and re-porting it for 2-3/4" target/defensive loads.

Anyone know what the appropriate single port size would be? (OEM 2-3/4" Bbl's have twin ports)

Comments/Questions/Concerns welcome.

GR

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
You should replace the Action Sleeve with a 2-3/4" one as the Magnum Sleeves are heavier and after high usage can batter your action and bolt mechanism. Target loads are loaded to lighter pressures and SD loads are generally loaded to higher pressures to attain higher FPS so these apples are not the same. A standard 2-3/4" barrel should/will handle both of these load types. With this said, it may be wise to sell the Mag barrel and pick up a Standard 2-3/4" barrel to use. Also, if shooting clays, a short 18-1/2" barrel will get old fast.....25.5" or more is much easier on the shooter. These 1100's are one of the best autos ever made and I know them pretty well. PM me anytime for questions......Darrel

RAVENS & WOLVES
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
The purpose of the shell has no bearing on pressure, a "target" load can and often may, have a higher pressure than a "magnum" load. What is important is the gas volume at the port plus the length of time that that volume of gas affects the gas system which is why port size is important. Target loads often have less volume due to the type of powder used while heavy loads will have much more volume making it a difficult balancing act. Those I knew who messed wth ports did so to enhance reliability in a narrow range.

That said, the three 1100 magnum guns I've owned operated just fine with "handicap" trap loads and the vast majority of 3 dram/1200 fps loads. Occasionally, there would be failures to eject after a couple hundred rounds but a thorough cleaning fixed things. The same could be said for the 1 oz game loads that ran in the 1290 fps range. Both where likely the result of the particular powder being used not producing enough gas volume at the port to properly activate the mechanism. A different lot of the same make generally worked fine.

I would look for a different barrel, they are still fairly common if one looks. I've seen them at every gun show I've been to lately with the fixed choked barrels still being affordable (<$150). I went this route with my youngest stepson's magnum and it is still running well and unchanged 30 years later.

Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Shoot it first. My 1100 magnum feeds any 2 3/4 ammo.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This is very well said.

Originally Posted by woodmaster81
The purpose of the shell has no bearing on pressure, a "target" load can and often may, have a higher pressure than a "magnum" load. What is important is the gas volume at the port plus the length of time that that volume of gas affects the gas system which is why port size is important. Target loads often have less volume due to the type of powder used while heavy loads will have much more volume making it a difficult balancing act. Those I knew who messed wth ports did so to enhance reliability in a narrow range.

That said, the three 1100 magnum guns I've owned operated just fine with "handicap" trap loads and the vast majority of 3 dram/1200 fps loads. Occasionally, there would be failures to eject after a couple hundred rounds but a thorough cleaning fixed things. The same could be said for the 1 oz game loads that ran in the 1290 fps range. Both where likely the result of the particular powder being used not producing enough gas volume at the port to properly activate the mechanism. A different lot of the same make generally worked fine.

I would look for a different barrel, they are still fairly common if one looks. I've seen them at every gun show I've been to lately with the fixed choked barrels still being affordable (<$150). I went this route with my youngest stepson's magnum and it is still running well and unchanged 30 years later.

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If memory serves me right it's a #51 drill bit size. I always would open the gas up about .008 to .010 and I could shoot 1 oz loads in a 3 inch gun.

Last edited by 1lessdog; 11/17/22.

Relive your memories,take a kid hunting and fishing
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Well said keep it clean 1 1/8oz handicap loads are fine. I found a 26" VR barrel with Colonial choke tubes for $80 2 3/4" chamber. Mine is a Magnum model from 1970..mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 1lessdog
If memory serves me right it's a #51 drill bit size. I always would open the gas up about .008 to .010 and I could shoot 1 oz loads in a 3 inch gun.

Thanks.

What I was lookin' for.

GR

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob

Well said keep it clean 1 1/8oz handicap loads are fine. I found a 26" VR barrel with Colonial choke tubes for $80 2 3/4" chamber. Mine is a Magnum model from 1970..mb

This is an old one as well.

A 2-3/4", 26" VR Bbl., in Mod. or Rem-choke, for $80...?

Would be sweet.

GR

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

400 members (160user, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 163bc, 34 invisible), 2,611 guests, and 1,021 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,285
Posts18,467,804
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.