Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
acy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
I'm looking at replacing the scope on the rifle that I usually take on hunting trips when I leave the state. Not overly concerned about the glass. In my opinion, any decent scope is going to have glass that is good enough to do what rifle scope glass is supposed to do. My number one concern is with the internals. When I dial in an adjustment, I want it to go where it was adjusted immediately, not after two or three shots (or worse yet, some inconsistent amount). I've only dialed on half a dozen animals over the years; but when I do, I want dead nuts reliable.

I've read here about the Athlon Helos and SWFA. Seems as though guys are pretty happy with them. Anything else to consider?
Thanks, Al

BP-B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Under $1k I would stick with SWFA.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pretty hard to argue against the track record of the SWFA SS scopes, for reliability under $1,000.

A
acy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Thanks guys. Kind of what I've been leaning towards. Just want to make sure I'm not missing out on anything.

Last edited by acy; 11/13/22. Reason: Added to response
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Zeiss V4 Conquest scopes are good dialers

Dyin' ain't much of a livin' boy - Josey Wales
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
The original Bushnell lrhs has a solid track record if you can find one.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have no experience with them but have noticed that Big Stick is pretty high on Arken lately. He does a lot of dialing and if you have ever seen any of his YouTube videos you know that he "tests" the durability of his equipment.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I know some are going to throw rocks here but my VX II Target scopes have always dialed spot on or I'll reword that have always dialed repeated. as well as the Leupold "AR" series Scopes I've got... same with the vari-x III ...

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
The original Bushnell lrhs has a solid track record if you can find one.

These are great. WHY did Bushnell go nuts with those goofy tactical reticles??? I love mine. Still remember how stunning it was to look through the eye box on this scope. It is huge. And the optics are very very good. Actually the first scope I thought of upon seeing the post.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
You can get a Nightforce SHV 3-10x42 from Doug at Cameraland on your budget. Kinda heavy but reliable.

The SWFAs that I tried were also good dialers. Lighter and much less expensive.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
May I suggest Athlon... the higher end models of course

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
If you’re interested in Athlon, I have a HELOS BTR Gen 2 in the classifieds for $425.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Sightron.

A
acy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
The scope I'm replacing is a Meopta Meopro. Can't really say anything bad about it, but for some reason it just doesn't give me warm and fuzzies. Thinking of putting it on a .223 bolt rifle. The Meopta replaced a Vari-x lll with an M-1 elevation turret. I've had it crap out on me twice. Once during a final shooting session just before a caribou hunt. Second time while just doing some shooting.
Haven't had problems, yet, with Leupold scopes that I don't try to regularly dial, but right now I won't trust one on this rifle.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I've been happy with SWFA ,Bushnell lrhs, Night force SHV ,Sightron S-tacs and S- III's , Athlon and a couple of Leupolds . Not hard to find scopes under $1k that perform these days. Finding one with a reticle you like for hunting is another thing .

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Burris sucks,Meopta sucks,Zeiss sucks,Leica sucks,Leupold sucks and Sightron too. Hint................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
A
acy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Burris sucks,Meopta sucks,Zeiss sucks,Leica sucks,Leupold sucks and Sightron too. Hint................

Big Stick, what scope would you put on a rifle that you were hunting elk, caribou, moose and African plains game?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

You suck dicks and man camp, but aledgedly you have “Pards”…. I’m sure dialing comes in real handy with fed beach bears and full rut bucks…

Fuucking laughing………..

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by acy

Big Stick, what scope would you put on a rifle that you were hunting elk, caribou, moose and African plains game?

He never has/will so he can’t answer that.

Hint…….

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I barely have 100's of scopes,to the crying chagrin of Melting Snowflakes everywhere. Hint. LAUGHING!

The 2-12x BTR Gen2 Mil/Mil is a Peach,though I "only" have double digits of them. Everyone who visits,procures same. Hint................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
107 members (10gaugeman, 35, 32_20fan, 257robertsimp, 338reddog, 11 invisible), 1,427 guests, and 688 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,882
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.