Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
MPat70 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Ok I gotta ask if any of you have ever had to leave a fresh kill overnight in coyote/wolf country?

Does this trick really work in your opinion?

I have never had the circumstances of leaving a deer in the field overnight but I have walked up on deer that looked to be dead for a couple days in coyote country with no signs of feasting.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
BP-B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
If one has no other choice it can’t hurt.
Have read that taking a leak in the immediate vicinity of the carcass also works.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I've bloodtrailed South Texas deer shot in the evening and found coyotes on them an hour after the shot.It don't take them long in some areas.

" It ain't dead.As long as there's one cowboy taking care of one cow,it ain't dead ! "
Monte Walsh
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
This just now popped up on my Utube. smile

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Yes, I tried it one time and it worked for me. Only time I ever had to leave a deer kill and go get help.

Shot my best and biggest buck ever, had a pack of howling coyotes practically on top of us in literally minutes. Skipped field dressing it to keep the scent of blood and guts to a minimum and started dragging it out of the woods. Got it out of the woods and only about 40 - 50 yards into into a freshly cultivated and plowed field and couldn't drag it any farther as it was simply too heavy. The coyotes followed right behind as far as the edge of the woods stopping there, howling and running back and forth apparently badly wanting me to leave so they could start chewing on my deer. I knew I had to go get help so I hung a well used blaze orange "heater"cushion I always carried in cold weather to sit on in my tree stand on the bucks rack, the wind blowing my scent from the cushion back towards the woods.

Came back about an hour later with help, deer was totally untouched and coyotes were gone.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
In case you have to leave, go home and watch Thr Masked Singer….or maybe Wagonmaster, Wagon Train, War Wagon, Paint Your Wagon, or whatever dumb shît Walter Brennan movie for the 23rd time

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Always layering in cold weather & that includes a vest. That vest was draped over a Mule deer in the Co. Rockies overnight with a couple of dead limbs holing it down. Another time tied around Elk quarters in Montana.

Maybe dumb luck, but neither showed any signs of being bothered by any critter.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
It does not work here. In recent years I know of two instances where people have left things behind by intent or not and wolves took the deer in the night.
Wolves in my area are precious and can’t even be looked at sideways so fear of man isn’t at all what it once was. Tracks on my place during darkness tell the tale up close to the buildings. Peeing near your kill is not worth the bother. I’ve had both coyotes and wolves come in and urinate directly over mine while trapping. Some predator trappers even do it as a draw.
In areas with human pressure human scent may be detriment, not here.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I've heard that leaving a t-shirt works very well because it's been against your skin and has the most scent. I've left clothing before and never had a problem but I don't know if any wolves or bears were around to take it anyway. I don't know any way to prove that it works without a live predator to test it.

I'm not sure that peeing around it works. I've heard of guys peeing out their tree stands and still having deer come in. A deer isn't a wolf, of course, so I don't know if it works or not. However, if you have to pee before you leave the deer, you might as well do it.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
I've had to leave a few overnight in NM, CO back country.

I peed on logs and rocks around them, cut underwear off and into strips, wiped butt, hung on spindly brush around it to move in the breeze.

Never had an animal hit overnight in country with coyotes and bear.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Grizz don't care

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
According to my trail cam documentation a rough order is birds find it first, bears second, coyotes and wolves show up when the bear is full.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Don’t have the grizzly to contend with but pissing around the carcasses I believe has kept mine from getting hit by black bears and coyotes.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I've had to leave elk out overnight a number of times while I went for my llamas. So far, so good. We don't have griz here but we're not short of wolves and black bears.
For the record, leaving a whole elk in the woods over night makes for the most tender meat. By morning, it'll be largely out of rigor and ready to cut up. I'd rather not have to leave it in the field but it does have a plus side.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
W
WMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Coyote country? I’m pretty sue EVERYWHERE is coyote country. I once left my jacket on a Ontario bear to deter wolves until I could return with help. Did it help? I’ll never know. I kept my underwear, however.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
For us in northern MN the bears are for the most part down for the winter when deer season is in progress. At least the rifle season. There is no better olfactory than those on birds, ravens and crows first here eagles come next.
During deer season here the sound of gunfire particularly in the late day hunt has the wolves a step ahead and if interested they work their way in. When I set carcasses on ice in the winter for the few coyotes we still have, according to my cameras and my being on site watching wolves show up in the last half hour of shooting light most often.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I dumped a big guy way back and could only manage to pack out his head, cape and a front quarter before dark. I carried 50’ of nylon rope and a small two and three wheel pulley set in my pack and that deer went way up out of reach in a white pine.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
MPat70;
Good afternoon to you sir, I hope that the weekend has been kind to you thus far and you're well.

In our part of south central BC we've got no shortage of coyotes, more wolves than we'd like and also contend with black bears, the occasional grizzly, turkey vultures, ravens, bald eagles and magpies that will come and "share" the carcass with you if given the opportunity.

We've kept coyotes off of carcasses or partial carcasses on 3 occasions wrapping a space blanket around it. On one occasion we were able to observe a coyote at the carcass and it didn't like the crinkly space blanket one bit, jumping nearly every time the wind blew it.

Also we'll hang lots of trail tape at the carcass so we can see it from as far away as possible and be prepared in the event something is there that doesn't want to share.

I want to say we've left a shirt or vest once too, but honestly unless it's something you can easily replace, I'd maybe suggest not leaving it there to get covered with bird feces at minimum.

From talking to friends who've had direct experience with them, I'd agree with Brother Fubar in that grizzly bears don't care about whatever you might leave there. I've also had a black bear climb up a tree to reach over and help itself to a mule deer hanging high enough, but apparently not on a meat pole with enough span to work.

We do whatever we can shy of moving heaven and earth not to leave anything overnight here because we're seeing more black bears than we've ever seen in the 38 years we've lived here and even they tend to be tough to dissuade from sharing - especially under cover of darkness.

Hopefully that made sense and was useful to someone out there.

All the best and good luck on any remaining hunts.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Here's the first I agonized all night about. 2 miles up Graveyard Canyon in SE NM Sacremento Mts.

The day before I had walked the ridges in near freezing rain with waterlogged, heavy wool and had trouble drying my glasses and scope with wet toilet paper and underclothes trying to get the crosshairs on him.

I shot it my 270 wby mag across a canyon with oak brush. Tried to mark it, went down, crossing the steep canyon, climbed the other side and couldn't find him. I left my hat on a bush top and made the hellacious trip back across the canyon. Figured out where the buck went down, cleaned binocs again, found my hat on the bush, made the miserable trip again and found the buck about 40 yds from my hat, got my hat on my wet freezing head, gutted it, peed all over, etc and headed back down Graveyard two miles to my truck and then drove to the Circle Cross Ranch house totally exhausted.

Came back the next day on horses with the ranch Mgr and got my deer loaded. I was very happy to see the varmints had not messed it up.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by jaguartx; 11/13/22.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Here's the first I agonized all night about. 2 miles up Graveyard Canyon in SE NM Sacremento Mts.

The day before I had walked the ridges in near freezing rain with waterlogged, heavy wool and had trouble drying my glasses and scope with wet toilet paper and underclothes trying to get the crosshairs on him.

I shot it my 270 wby mag across a canyon with oak brush. Tried to mark it, went down, crossing the steep canyon, climbed the other side and couldn't find him. I left my hat on a bush top and made the hellacious trip back across the canyon. Figured out where the buck went down, cleaned binocs again, found my hat on the bush, made the miserable trip again and found the buck about 40 yds from my hat, got my hat on my wet freezing head, gutted it, peed all over, etc and headed back down Graveyard two miles to my truck and then drove to the Circle Cross Ranch house totally exhausted.

Came back the next day on horses with the ranch Mgr and got my deer loaded. I was very happy to see the varmints had not messed it up.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Damn Jag! You got old!!!!

🤣🤣🤣🤣

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
197 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 300_savage, 2UP, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 18 invisible), 1,555 guests, and 858 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,911
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.