Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by EdM

I put mine together nearly 15 years ago, and cost me me around $1200 for the bare rifle. It took a lot of time and effort to find a SS Classic FWT for $650, and I picked up the McMillan off the classifieds here for $300, and Kevin Weaver cleaned up the old bedding and and re-bedded it for around $200. My rifle roughly weighs 6.25 lbs bare, that makes it over $280 an oz to get to 5.75 lbs from what I paid originally. I'm sure the Rifles Inc M70 is an awesome rifle, but I'm not paying $2300 to lose 8 ounces on my rifle. I'm very happy where I'm at.

GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by borden811
I’m just looking for feedback on real world lightness, without shaving every possible minuscule oz. and throwing tons of money at it. Already have the action, stock, factory featherweight bottom metal. So just trying to brainstorm with the help of the fire, and see what is realistically possible.

Originally Posted by EdM

No question lex builds an excellent rifle; for 4 k it’s an expensive 8 -10 oz. The original poster has been asking about attainable weights using a stock he already has that weighs 24 oz; lex uses a stock that weighs quite a bit less.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by greydog
Shouldn't you be out throwing your rifle at a fish or something?

LOL ..... Not a bad plan. Hardcharger's rifles do look like pike lures.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Oh my eyes! LGBTQ 2022 commemorative rifle?

The way life should be.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
At least SuperKchunt can "afford" to fhuqking steal pictures,if only to horn bluetits up...you "lucky" kchunts. Hint. Congratulations?!?

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Bless your hearts,for "living" vicariously.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
7ish pounds scoped is what is practical. That weight and platform makes a great hunting rifle.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by okie john
I have two questions: what are you going to so with this rifle, and how do you define "light"?

I hunt blacktails an island in western Washington. The typical shot is about 35 yards, fast, and offhand, and it often comes toward the end of 10-12 hours of still-hunting on old trails in dense brush and pouring rain. I tried a lot of different things but the best rifle I ever found for that was a pre-64 M-70 Featherweight 308 in a Pacific Research stock with a 4x Leupold in Weaver rings and bases. Ready to hunt, it weighed 7.5 pounds. It balanced perfectly for close, fast shots, it was easy to carry for long stretches, and I put a lot of meat on the table with it.

There are plenty of ways to minimize the weight you add to a heavy action, but at the end of the day, that's still what you're doing. So rather than locking in on weight, what if you build a rifle that works for the way you hunt?

Instead of trying to turn a M-70 in to something it was never meant to be, maybe use it for a cartridge that needs some weight like a 35 Whelen, 9.3x62, or 338 WM. A lightweight stock like the Brown would help the rifle balance so the weight isn't all in once place. As long as you don't go crazy with the optic, you could come in around eight pounds scoped with a 22" barrel.

That's light for any of those cartridges, which you'll learn as soon as you touch one off in an eight-pound rifle.

Okie John

This is good info!
Get your hands on a NULA.
It will cost you 4K, but you will never make a mdl 70 that light.
I had a phenomenal smith take a 5 digit featherweight classic and turn it into a 35 whelen with a Kreiger #3 and a Brown stock, fully blueprinted. It is unbelievably accurate, but I definitely think about how nice it would be if I built it 3/4 of a pound heavier lol. Everything I hit with it acts like they got hit by a garbage truck though

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sweetie,

NULA's pale to Fieldcrafts. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Fhuqking LAUGHING!............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Strolling down memory lane and those 7lb model 70’s do the trick. I prefer the bigger action to the lighter weight offerings.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Most of the hunters I meet while afield are 20+ pounds overweight, few walk at all so the question is: "why a light model 70?"

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Big Stick
At least SuperKchunt can "afford" to steal pictures

Looks like you're not affording much these days as well. smile

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I just dropped a pre 64 06' FWT B/A with factory BM into a 25oz. MCM edge I have and it came in at 6Lbs. 7 oz.
Just a FYI

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
TAG

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by ElkHtrNevada
Most of the hunters I meet while afield are 20+ pounds overweight, few walk at all so the question is: "why a light model 70?"

I guess because I want one, so, “why not?”

Oh, and believe it or not, deer bite. Fairly hard.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

You're obviously not a backpack hunter.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by pathfinder76
Strolling down memory lane and those 7lb model 70’s do the trick. I prefer the bigger action to the lighter weight offerings.

Those look like some of utah708's rifles. Beauties!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Speaking of Talley's and Leupold, my favorite part of this thread:

Originally Posted by Big Stick
Dog Schit glass and mounting systems,ain't a "savings" but rather heavy concessions and them differences are stark. Pun be intended. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...........

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Of course, if you're a ham-fisted lumberjack that doesn't know how to lap rings or use a torque wrench, you're going to break things... the rest of us don't. And, those of us with a passing education also know how to use "hint" in a sentence. Hint...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Brad

You're obviously not a backpack hunter.

So overweight guys can't appreciate a lighweight rifle? ha ha..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
bcp Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
An extra pound or two in the hands all day is much heavier than an extra pound or two under the shirt.

smile

Bruce

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by pathfinder76

Those look like some of utah708's rifles. Beauties!!

Your about due for a hissy fit dummy.👊🏻

Maybe you Greg and liar Larry can combine forces and get a epic bitch and whine fest goin like the cuunts you fuucks are!! LOL

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 2500HD, 1beaver_shooter, 240NMC, 66 invisible), 2,339 guests, and 1,227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,654
Posts18,455,538
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.