Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Our crew has been using army tents for nearly a decade. while they are very robust, they are also heavy and vinyl. Heavy is becoming a bigger issue the older we get. Vinyl has always been a condensation problem. Our key players have committed that the next time we camp...... it'll be in a traditional canvas wall tent.

Our group size runs 4-8 annually. Losing some, gaining others. Still, we're a big camp, so thats a factor in how many tents we use, and how big they are.

but my real question to you experts.......

1. is what Brand is right for us. we camp about 2 weeks a year, always in Sept- October. we get some snow, but not SEVERAL FEET worth. we dont leave it setup for months, so it doesnt need to be bulletproof.

Brands I know of and have heard good feedback on are: Davis, and Walltentshop.

Brands I've heard of, but havent heard much feedback on include Montana Canvas and Elk Mountain.

Sportsmansguide sells one that's chinese. It looks a little cheaper on a $/sf basis. no clue how good it is.

Brands I found via google search, but have never heard of include: Whiteduckoutdoors, Bravotents, elkhorntentandcanvas, and KodiakCanvas

I slept in a wall tent once, 10 years ago on a guided hunt and loved it, but didnt set it up, take it down, handle or repair it, either.

all of them claim to be the best thing since sliced bread, and probably most of them would do the job (2 weeks per year in adverse weather for the next ~20 years).

If you have tons of experience with any/all/some of these, I'd love to get some feedback.

2nd question - if your camp was routinely ~8 people, would you want one large tent to house all of them (I think a 16x24 would do that) or a pair of smaller tents (ie two 10x20's), and why?

thanks in advance.

First teach a child to love God, second teach him to love family, third teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. Cotton Cordell
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Beckel Canvas......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Make sure to get 5' side walls

V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
I had a Montana Canvas Company 14x17x5ft wall tent for many years until a black bear decided he wanted what was inside it, foam on a cot pad. Anyway it was a great tent. We used it with a internal conduit frame. I would buy another if the need arose.

Last edited by VaHunter; 11/13/22.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I've used a Davis 14X16 for over ten years with absolutely zero issues.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by colorado bob
Make sure to get 5' side walls

screw 5 foot sidewalls if you put cots against the wall. You don't need the headroom there and 4 foot sides allow a steeper roof for snow shedding.....

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
We’ve had a 16x20 Rainier for going on 20 years and a 14x16 Davis for about 10. We use the 16x20 for two weeks during elk season. The 14x16 gets used during elk season also, as well as various trips throughout the year.

I’d recommend either brand for someone in the market.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
As far as I’m concerned, the search starts and stops with Davis Tent.

For your group size I would get 2 tents for sure.

Last edited by tzone; 11/13/22.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a Walltentshop 14x16’ that I’m happy with. Bought their stove, too, but needed to modify it to increase airflow. I’d get two 14x16’ tents for 8 guys, assuming both will have stoves.

W
WMR Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
I'd want multiple tents for 8 guys. One good sized wall tent with a wood stove for eating and hanging out. 2 or 3 smaller sleeping tents which may just have Buddy heaters for dressing. Just turn off the heaters once everyone is in their sleeping bag. Much easier that way to keep a fairly neat camp. Also less likely that the camp slob will annoy the others by leaving his stuff all around. Not to mention the guys who snore loudly. Put them in one tent.

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Six guys sleep in our 16x20 but that’s all we do is sleep in it. We eat and play cards in the 14x16.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
https://reliabletent.com/

Use the Glacier and the Yellowstone, Much better than a wall tent, the Glacier 4-6 people 15x17' wall to wall and corner to corner as it is a hexagon, the Yellowstone 12x12' is good for a pub/kitchen for 2 people maybe 3 for sleeping.

Both are easy to set up, both have 24" hippy killers for heat.

Excellent quality, 12 seasons on them with no issues.

Used wall tents before these and would not ever go back to a wall tent.

Last edited by Axtell; 11/14/22.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
We use two smaller tents, one for sleeping and one for cooking/hanging out in. Put the two tents front to back and then you can close one door or the other so that you can heat a smaller space more effectively. We use propane for heat. We also take a piece of reinforced poly sheeting that we cover both tents with, on the outside. Allows snow to slide right off and the sheet we use is big enough that when the snow slides off it's not piled up against the outside of the tent.
6 of us this year and we used, I think, a 10'x12' and a 10'x16'. One made by Reliable Tents and the other Montana Canvas.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Another vote for Davis here. It's Denver based and I've been to their shop. We bought an older used one that saw some love over it's life. Took it to Davis, they patched all the holes, redid all the ties, fixed everything for $60. I was anticipating several hundred dollars. I also had them make me some canvas curtains for one of my cabins. Same material and ties as a wall tent. Good people there.

The bigger the tent, the heavier it is. A buddy has a 16x20 (or pretty close) and it's heavy. Has plastic totes for all the small metal pieces and stakes. He hauls it around on a flat bed trailer. I'd opt for multiple smaller tents. Easier to heat, less roof for snow to accumulate on, and you can add/subtract tents depending on the size of your group.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Not a canvas tent but for lightweight it's hard to beat the Cabela's Alaknak 10X10 or 12X12. Great sleeping tents but 3 people max if using cots. Our group uses these as well as a Davis wall tent 14X16 with frame. The Davis tent doesn't really give us a lot more room and is a lot more work to set up.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've bought several tents from Walltentshop.com and have been very happy with them. Davis makes a very good tent also, but the Walltentshop tents are built with heavier corners, ridges, and wear points and stronger tie downs. They usually have the best prices and service IMO also.

We have a 14 x 16 for up to 4 guys and my brother has a 14 x 16 for when we have more guys. We also have a separate 10 x 12 tent for a cook tent so we have room for out food, camp kitchen set up, snacks, and washing tubs , among other items. We eat in the main 14 x 16 tent, play cards, and BS when we aren't around the fire... Makes for a more comfortable main tent . Wall tent shop also has great prices on cylinder stoves and the angle kits for making the 1" EMT tent frames. You will wonder how you got along with the frame once you have one... makes set up and take down so much easier as well as a really tight tent when set up.

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
W
WMR Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by taylorce1
Not a canvas tent but for lightweight it's hard to beat the Cabela's Alaknak 10X10 or 12X12. Great sleeping tents but 3 people max if using cots. Our group uses these as well as a Davis wall tent 14X16 with frame. The Davis tent doesn't really give us a lot more room and is a lot more work to set up.

I stayed in an Alaknak tent on a guided hunt this fall. It worked great but I wondered how it would shed heavy rain. The tall peak would negate my usual strategy of a tarp over the top which totally waterproofs any tent. A horizontal ridgeline is much preferred for this. Has anyone here used the Cabelas Alaknak in rainy conditons? Thanks

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Beckel Canvas......

I second this.

I've had my 12x15 since the mid '80s. Not a single complaint. It's good gear.

I like the larger feel of my 5' walls, but concede that they are not necessary and do add weight.

Last edited by eaglemountainman; 11/14/22.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
thanks for all the feedback, gents.

what would yall say is a reasonable life expectancy for one of these, if they are well maintained? is it 20 years? 30? 40?

First teach a child to love God, second teach him to love family, third teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. Cotton Cordell
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I have had a Davis for over 10 years and don’t have a single complaint. It’s a 14x16’. I use it and when I’m done clean it and make sure it’s dry before storing it. I expect it to last as long as I do.

One thing to consider about these tents and the frame. If you make your own frame the materials have sky rocketed. When I bought my tent the frame materials cost me $129. My buddy bought the same tent and the materials were over $450 at Home Depot. These tents are an investment and if taken care of well worth the money.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
755 members (160user, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 88 invisible), 2,979 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,704
Posts18,400,075
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.