24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yes, it works. Coyotes in South Texas are thick. I leave my jacket on them and they don't bother it. Otherwise, it's gone in a flash.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
BP-B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Windfall
I dumped a big guy way back and could only manage to pack out his head, cape and a front quarter before dark. I carried 50’ of nylon rope and a small two and three wheel pulley set in my pack and that deer went way up out of reach in a white pine.

This!

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Back when I wed bow hunting the rule to wait a half he after a shot don’t work I had 2 deer eaten by coyotes in the 30 min window
Always evening
The old timers say to leave a coat or hat for sent
Never tryed it as I never really had to leave one

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have left a small radio on overnight beside a deer we had hanging only a few ft off the ground, concerned about the Wolves howling nearby, deer was still there in the morning. I always carry a small radio in my pack, weighs little and can be a good friend if your out all night unexpectedly.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by MAC
Originally Posted by las
You ain't gonna do that with an elk or moose- not in one load anyway.

I never said I'd do it with an elk or moose. This thread is about deer which is why I posted what I did. For what it is worth I have taken 25 elk and if I had an elk down 3 quarters would be hanging and one would come out in my packframe. Done that many, many times.

Yep- that's the way.

I've heard of, but never tried the radio and moth-ball methods.

Last edited by las; 11/13/22.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I know the OP was talking about deer but it's the same for larger animals. I don't know how many times I've read about hanging an animal at least 10' high to be out of reach of bears or wolves. Has anyone actually tried to get an elk 10' high? It's going to take some serious rope and pulley work and all that gear is going to be heavy.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Some years ago I shot a buck a ways back. My partner and I boned it and took it all in 1 trip. A few days later, we were back there trying to find a deer for my partner. I went over to my gut pile to see if any bear or wolf tracks were around it. There was no 'it'. Hide, guts, bones, all gone. Even the blood was licked up from the grass. Between the grass and rocks, we couldn't find any tracks. There were both bears and wolves in the area. I assume it was wolves but never found any evidence.

― George Orwell

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I'm not sure that peeing around it works. I've heard of guys peeing out their tree stands and still having deer come in.

Proof some guys are pussies.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by 673
I have left a small radio on overnight beside a deer we had hanging only a few ft off the ground, concerned about the Wolves howling nearby, deer was still there in the morning. I always carry a small radio in my pack, weighs little and can be a good friend if your out all night unexpectedly.

Great idea.

I Dindo Nuffin
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
It's luck. Try to get out as much as you can, but sometimes when it's 2 am and you've got several pack outs left, it needs to wait until morning. Thus far, have been lucky.

IC B3

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I know the OP was talking about deer but it's the same for larger animals. I don't know how many times I've read about hanging an animal at least 10' high to be out of reach of bears or wolves. Has anyone actually tried to get an elk 10' high? It's going to take some serious rope and pulley work and all that gear is going to be heavy.

I have, with one yearling moose and several caribou, solo. A partner would have helped tremendously! it can be done, but...

You ain't wrong!

There are some decent not-too heavy/bulky 3-strand block and tackle pulleys that can, with difficulty, hoist 60-70 pound pieces. The moose was 5 miles in, the caribou about 10, backpacking.

I'm no smarter, just older and less motivated. smile

Last edited by las; 11/13/22.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
You've just about done it all las.

You're blessed.

I Dindo Nuffin
DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Never had to leave a game animal. Looks to me like buzzards would be on it purty damned quick.

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by DMc
Never had to leave a game animal. Looks to me like buzzards would be on it purty damned quick.

Not after cold weather hits. Skunks can cause a mess if cold weather hasn't put them up, however. Opossum too.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DMc

I guess it depends on geography.... my only problem has been crows, ravens and magpies... luckily

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pee communicates different meanings in different applications. I’ve had wolves and coyotes pee on my pee but my experience makes me think that it also has deterrent uses.

Pile up tree branches with tops together and pee on the tops. Holding the dry butt ends place the branches around the meat or animal you are leaving. IME that has kept predators/scavengers away from meat. It has worked on coyotes, cats and many black bears for 24 to 48 hours, but have no confidence in it keeping away grizzlies and wolverines. Not enough proven wolf experience to opine.

Applied this way I think that it warns predators to keep away from this human’s meat cache or he will kill you. Last year I left a small buck overnight in forest on the Olympic Peninsula. By the next morning, something (probably black bear) had eaten every trace of the entrails a few yards from the low hanging buck, but did not touch the deer. I could be totally wrong but it has worked for decades.

My family has backpack hunted for decades and left many deer and other animals out overnight and up to a week in Washington State, Idaho and Montana, plus south central BC. Only one deer had a small portion eaten and that after being left for several days in Idaho snow. I don’t like to leave meat out in northern BC, and it is risky in the Canadian Rockies.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Several years ago, my partner shot a buck a few miles back. We laid the deer on the hide with the heart and liver next to it and covered it with pine boughs hoping to keep the flies off, then hiked out for my llamas. The next morning the heart and liver were gone but the deer wasn't touched. We figured it was a fox or pine martin.

― George Orwell

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
When I was alot younger, if we shot a deer bow hunting, and it was cold enough, we track it in the morning, about 10-12 years ago if you left it , it would be eaten by bears or coyotes. Now we have coyotes after them as we are tracking, and have run them off

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Only one I've had to leave overnight was because I couldn't find it. No coyotes or wolves back then so no worries.

I have had yotes take most of the hindquarters from a young one in the 30 minutes it took me to find it. It's thick where that one was and I know they could hear me. I never saw or heard them.

A person who's happy will make others happy. Anne Frank
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Yeah I’m sure wolves and grizzly bears are scared schit less of your pee-pee and Seattle Seahawks t-shirt.

Gimme a break.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
277 members (007FJ, 160user, 22250rem, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 28 invisible), 1,968 guests, and 906 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,806
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.