Way to go, John!!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
BP-B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
What reason did the the legislators give you for creating the State law that says you can only use a straight walled case ?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good for you John. On the other hand, NO MI deer hunters really hunt. They sit in little cabins with wood stoves and watch over their bait. Been there by invitation and done that. grin On the other other hand, I give John the benefit of the doubt. grin Glad you got your buck John.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Thanks fellows, I did hunt in a box blind, over a small food plot, no dam heater tho! Had several younger buds up in tree stands all day in the wet snow, one saw one deer the other nothing. Rest of the season I'll be out in the woods still hunting and stalking. Taking the morning off as I'm sorry, be out this afternoon.

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Congrats John!!

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
congratulations, pic of deer and rifle is better than no pic. email it to me and I will post it on the kill page.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Good job John!!!! Can't wait to see photos of your deer!

LOL
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
The legalities of which you speak, Joe, only pertain to the old "shotgun only", densely populated/flat portions of the state. In the "good" areas we've enjoyed sensible unhindered cartridge selection all along.
I thought he said he was in a straight wall “Zone”. I took for granted that when I said MD went straight wall, others understood it was in previous shotgun “Zones”. Until a month ago I could snipe deer off the kids play tower in the back yard with my 250. They just logged the woods behind me and started digging basements. Now I have to drive over to Doc’s farm.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Malcolm
What reason did the the legislators give you for creating the State law that says you can only use a straight walled case ?
I’m not sure, it started in other states. I read about it, and as usual it didn’t make sense to me, so I didn’t pay attention. I think in most states that have done it they refer to basically straight wall pistol cartridges and them being more accurate, than slug guns, resulting in more ethical kills. Others can elaborate on that. My cousins Son in Law owns several hundred acres on the Eastern shore where they hunt over soy fields and he has a tuned Savage 220, 20 gauge he hunts to 300 yards. The new slug guns are not our fathers and grand fathers “Punkin Ballers”.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Such laws are written by folks who have zero comprehension of ballistics and/or are operating on old wive's tales that maybe had a smidgen of veracity 80 years ago.

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The guy we're overlooking is oldotter. His silence tells me he's either busy dragging deer after deer out of the Michigan woods or he's spending every waking hour stalking Bambi, with his phone tucked away out of hearing back in his flivver. That, or he's passed out on the floor of some Michigan roadhouse with a belly full of rotgut.

Come out come out wherever you are, oldotter!

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Talked to oldotter opening night and no luck then. I’m sure he’s spending has much time as he can stalking Bambi. Plus he’s with someone who hasn’t hunted before and is showing him the ropes.

Last edited by JediWing19; 11/17/22.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by JoeMartin
Originally Posted by Malcolm
I’m not sure, it started in other states. I read about it, and as usual it didn’t make sense to me, so I didn’t pay attention. I think in most states that have done it they refer to basically straight wall pistol cartridges and them being more accurate, than slug guns, resulting in more ethical kills. Others can elaborate on that. My cousins Son in Law owns several hundred acres on the Eastern shore where they hunt over soy fields and he has a tuned Savage 220, 20 gauge he hunts to 300 yards. The new slug guns are not our fathers and grand fathers “Punkin Ballers”.

Thanx for the comback Joe , Sounds like your politicians ain't no dummer than ours.
Old Totter should have his hands full alright especially if his student has vivid bush imagination and everything looks like an animal or goose or any general bush object that needs in any split second to be gotten ready to shoot at but not actually plugged.

Last edited by Malcolm; 11/17/22.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
The guy we're overlooking is oldotter. His silence tells me he's either busy dragging deer after deer out of the Michigan woods or he's spending every waking hour stalking Bambi, with his phone tucked away out of hearing back in his flivver. That, or he's passed out on the floor of some Michigan roadhouse with a belly full of rotgut.

Come out come out wherever you are, oldotter!

I was hiding in the woods for the last couple of days up in Wolverine, just 40 minutes shy of the upper. Spent 2 1/2 days in the blind and only 2 sightings. Weather phycos were calling for 10-12 inches of the white stuff......so I bailed and came back home. Be Hunting in Kingston tomorrow with my trusty Savage 220 20ga deer slayer. And yes, my phone gets pretty much ignored, hence the radio silence. Still have till the 30th to deflate a freezer filler. John, congratulations, but you gotta find closer to the truck location to set up a blind. wink grin

"Its easier to fool people......Than convince them that they have been fooled." Mark Twain
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Phew. I was ready to call out the National Guard to find you.

Is the lower half of Michigan still shotgun-only or may you employ a rifle using a straight walled cartridge? If the latter, I would have cheerfully loaned you my Martini Cadet .357 Maximum!

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Just spoke to someone somewhere in MI, foot of snow on the ground and still snowing.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Congrats!

Didn't happen with no pics, tho. grin

I have to apologize to our friend saddlering. He sent me the photos to post for him but between a really f'd up phone and hospital time I can't get it done. Can someone help him out?

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes we got hammered, it’s still snowing and blowing.

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Phew. I was ready to call out the National Guard to find you.

Is the lower half of Michigan still shotgun-only or may you employ a rifle using a straight walled cartridge? If the latter, I would have cheerfully loaned you my Martini Cadet .357 Maximum!

The "mitten" as Michiganders refer to the lower peninsula is shotgun only in the lower half, or recently changed to straight wall cartridge's (restrictions apply) also. In the top half can use centerfires at will. The trick is to first lay your peepers on em!
confused

Last edited by oldotter; 11/18/22.

"Its easier to fool people......Than convince them that they have been fooled." Mark Twain
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Poconojack
Just spoke to someone somewhere in MI, foot of snow on the ground and still snowing.

Thats why I bailed from up north. Was in the belly of the beast, turned yeller and ran south.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
184 members (32_20fan, 257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 25 invisible), 2,070 guests, and 973 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,648
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.