Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
RJL53 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Who has had one done and have anything to share?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Whatever you do, under any circumstances, do not turn around to look at what they're doing. Trust me on that.

Otherwise, no big deal.

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hope it go's well for you.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I've had a couple but I don't have anything to share, they kept all the samples grin

Seriously though, what he said, not a big deal. Ask your urologist about genetic testing of the samples if they're cancerous. That can give you an idea of how aggressive the cancer is, if it's there. Prostate cancer is normally slow growing so a positive result doesn't necessariky mean you need treatment or surgery.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes, have had 12 sample biopsy.

Found small amount of bad cells in the 12th sample.

Gleason score was moderately aggressive.

I was 46 when I had my prostate removed.

That was in 2003.

It saved my life.

IC B2

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Had three. If they use a local anesthetic, it’ll be uncomfortable but it shouldn’t hurt a lot. If it does, speak up and they can use some more. Mine were the standard 12, then an mri guided with 18 and the third was an mri guided with 24. They found nothing on the first, atypical cells on the second and cancer (G7) on the third.

If you have a a good track record on your psa and plot it on graph paper it can give you a good idea of what’s going on. When mine took a big curve toward the vertical I figured it was only a matter of time. It normally increases a little each year because the prostate continues to grow through life. So a more or less straight line would be expected. My PSA was 17 when they finally found the big “C”.

Last edited by navlav8r; 11/14/22.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I heard if you ride a bicycle every day a few weeks prior it prepares your body and mind to better handle process. You need to be wearing bicycle racing clothes while doing it to be effective.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not a big deal at all. My Urologist played football at USC. ND played USC that weekend. We talked football while he collected the samples. One piece of advice if you take aspirin stop the week before. I had a little blood in a couple of my farts the following day.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
It was a huge pain in the azz. 18 samples. No C. Ten years ago. PSA just went up again so I'm pm having another PSA test in a few weeks. Hope it goes back down. Do have BPH. Fire hose turned to a drip watering system.

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Have had two. Transrectal first and transperineal. Transrectal doesn’t sample the front of the prostate very well but cancer is “usually” found in the posterior portion. Trans perineal does a better overall job and my doc at Huntsman in SLC tells me they will likely be going to transperineal soon as the “gold standard”. I have BPH (178cc) and my PSA has varied between 4.4 and just over 9 recently. So far, no cancer has been found, even with the transperineal sampling two lesions identified by MRI. We’ll see.

I’d suggest a conversation with your doctor on the specifics of the biopsy type and whether or not to get an MRI beforehand to identify specific areas to sample.

IC B3

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by Stickfight
I heard if you ride a bicycle every day a few weeks prior it prepares your body and mind to better handle process. You need to be wearing bicycle racing clothes while doing it to be effective.

Nope, but riding a bike will usually drive up your psa so if you have a psa test coming up, don’t ride a bike….I don’t remember how long the elevated level is.

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by colorado bob
Not a big deal at all. My Urologist played football at USC. ND played USC that weekend. We talked football while he collected the samples. One piece of advice if you take aspirin stop the week before. I had a little blood in a couple of my farts the following day.

That’s not all that’ll be a bit bloody 😳

Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by navlav8r
Originally Posted by Stickfight

Nope, but riding a bike will usually drive up your psa so if you have a psa test coming up, don’t ride a bike….I don’t remember how long the elevated level is.

Riding a bike also lowers your testosterone levels. Pretty soon you'll be dressing in spandex, shaving your legs, and drinking smoothies.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I’ve never had one but would not hesitate if my doctor said I needed one no matter how unpleasant it sounds. Earlier this this year a good friend I grew up with had a pretty normal PSA, pissed a little blood one day and they initially thought it was a bladder issue. Turns out he had small cell prostate cancer which apparently does not cause the PSA to go up and often not detected until after it’s spread causing other issues that are noticed. The small cell type only accounts for about 1 percent of prostate cancer and the prognosis is pretty grim. He died 7 months after diagnosis. I don’t know if finding the small cell type earlier significantly improves the outcome like the other but it might give you a fighting chance.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Riding a bike WILL elevate PSA numbers, as will the 'digital exam' of your prostate, or anything else that 'stimulates' the prostate, which is why blood should be drawn prior to same, or several days after....

What they never told me till recently is that sexual activity will also cause your PSA numbers to spike, if blood is drawn soon after, typically within 48 hours......

I have had the 'standard' 12 or 16 sample Biopsy...... I don't ever want another..... but will, likely, if deemed necessary...

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Frankly, it's like being butt-raped by a gorilla. A gorilla who is a sex-addict.

I pissed and shat blood for a week ... and hurt for waaay longer than that.

Honestly, it really hurt my little guy.

The good news is that all of my samples came out total negative.

Watch out for infection. Hillybilly Bear, may he eternally Rest In Peace, told me that a close relative of his got a severe infection from having the procedure. After having the prostate biopsy, I can easily see how that would happen.

Still ... having the procedure beats the Hell out of getting cancer of the prostate.

Blessings,

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Why not, at least at 80+ years old, have your prostrate removed instead of constantly knowing that there’s a ticking time bomb up your ass and having to endure the discomfort of biopsies?

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Had it done in 2010. One sample was positive and Gleason score was 8. The score runs 2-10. The doc tried to milk my prostate, but he couldn't get a sample. They look for a certain antigen that only shows up due to cancer. I didn't have pain issues but wear a condom if you have sex after the procedure because there will be some blood in your semen. I asked the doc if he found the trapped miners, but he said no.

Last edited by DaveinWV; 11/14/22.

Nobody's right if everybody's wrong.
Getting into reloading to save money is like getting married for free sex.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Why not, at least at 80+ years old, have your prostrate removed instead of constantly knowing that there’s a ticking time bomb up your ass and having to endure the discomfort of biopsies?

The side effects can be bad. Plus, it's very slow growing g, lots of men die of other causes, with prostate cancer. Many don't even know it.

My doc told me about a study done in Chicago on middle-aged men who died of other causes. A significant percentage had undiagnosed prostate cancer

A wise man is frequently humbled.

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
The saying is, “your chance of having some form of prostate cancer is about equal to your age. So if you’re 60, you have about a 60 percent chance of having some form of it but IIRC, only about 15 percent of those will have a form that needs to be treated.”

If a first degree relative has had it, your chances go up by about 50%. I don’t remember the chances but there seems to be a connection as well for your mother or sister that had breast cancer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 69 invisible), 2,251 guests, and 1,126 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,123
Posts18,464,608
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.