Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
E
ejo Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Washington County for me. Looking to get my son his second deer this year.

GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
NY DEC hunting rules/map does a good job delineating Northern/Southern tier, plus the ever-changing local rules in WMA zones, for doe permits, and antler restrictions. Statewide changes in blaze-orange requirement, 1/2 hour extensions at both ends of the hunting hours, special extended season for youth, crossbow and late December (for college students home for the holidays). They also have harvest statistics and predictions (and how they determine the doe permits and antler restrictions), number of out-of-state hunting licenses issued,...LOTS of detailed hunting info for ALL the different critters.

I've spent most of my years in Washington, Saratoga, and Fulton counties. No question that farm country deer are THRIVING, while the big woods deer are still hard to find, The rut and food sources are both having much longer seasons recently than I've ever experienced, in 50 years of paying attention.

Last edited by JeffG; 11/09/22.

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Smacked a 7 pointer with crossbow at 7:05 this morning in Cortlandville. Twenty yard shot broadside and he only went 15 yards and down.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by JeffG
NY DEC hunting rules/map does a good job delineating Northern/Southern tier, plus the ever-changing local rules in WMA zones, for doe permits, and antler restrictions. Statewide changes in blaze-orange requirement, 1/2 hour extensions at both ends of the hunting hours, special extended season for youth, crossbow and late December (for college students home for the holidays). They also have harvest statistics and predictions (and how they determine the doe permits and antler restrictions), number of out-of-state hunting licenses issued,...LOTS of detailed hunting info for ALL the different critters.

I've spent most of my years in Washington, Saratoga, and Fulton counties. No question that farm country deer are THRIVING, while the big woods deer are still hard to find, The rut and food sources are both having much longer seasons recently than I've ever experienced, in 50 years of paying attention.
DEC's map does a good job dileanating the Northern/Southern ZONE but doesn't reference a thing about the Southern TIER. How anybody can live in New York and not know what the Southern TIER is, is beyond me. The Southern TIER encompasses the counties that run along the Northern border of Pa. and those counties along with the Pa. counties that border them to the South are commonly referred to as the TWIN TIERS. Wikipedia has a pretty good and accurate description for those who can't figure the difference between the Sourhern ZONE and the Southern TIER. Sheesh. .

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I hunted Delaware, Otsego, Chenango and Broom Counties when I was living down that way for a while, but "home" is St. Lawrence County. I also lived 5 years in Oswego County, but didn't deer hunt there much, it was just to close to St. Lawrence County to bother. There are areas in Chenango, Delaware and especially St. Lawrence County that would challenge all the assumptions most people from elsewhere have about New York. I just got off the phone with my brother and told him I may be home this month some time to hunt, but I'm not leaning toward a trip right now.

Mathew 22: 37-39

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I hunt in Jefferson county with the wife's in-laws on the family farm.

Life is good live it while you can.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Northern Lewis County and a little over into Saint Lawrence Cty for me. Deer finally started moving in daytime middle of this week, two of my cousins shot bucks Tues morning, but now I'm stuck at home waiting for the furnace repair guy.

Last edited by MikeL2; 11/11/22.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Smacked a 7 pointer with crossbow at 7:05 this morning in Cortlandville. Twenty yard shot broadside and he only went 15 yards and down.

Congrats to you!

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go

Oscar Wilde~~
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by MikeL2
Northern Lewis County and a little over into Saint Lawrence Cty for me. Deer finally started moving in daytime middle of this week, two of my cousins shot bucks Tues morning, but now I'm stuck at home waiting for the furnace repair guy.

A lot of open space in Lewis. Hope your heating issues are better.

Oscar Wilde~~
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by cra1948
I hunted Delaware, Otsego, Chenango and Broom Counties when I was living down that way for a while, but "home" is St. Lawrence County. I also lived 5 years in Oswego County, but didn't deer hunt there much, it was just to close to St. Lawrence County to bother. There are areas in Chenango, Delaware and especially St. Lawrence County that would challenge all the assumptions most people from elsewhere have about New York. I just got off the phone with my brother and told him I may be home this month some time to hunt, but I'm not leaning toward a trip right now.
Hope and wish you good hunting.

Oscar Wilde~~
IC B3

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
👍

Oscar Wilde~~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by moosemike
Isn't Sullivan County where Larry Koller hunted?
Yes, Eden Falls hunting and fishing club near Monticello.
I thought so. Thanks

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll be hunting Seneca county for the gun opener.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Glad to hear the Campfire has many New Yorkers.

I tracked a bruiser this morning and watched painfully as he galloped over the next ridge through a tangle of young beach trees. Although, I managed to put my scope on his chest only to squeeze the trigger on an empty chamber. A few explicit words crossed my mind at that moment. When they run the hills, they run the hills.

Oscar Wilde~~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Keep at it and he may show again. Good luck.

I'll head up near Parksville area next week couple days before opener.

-Ken

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I deer hunt in Onondaga County.
I live in Oswego County. North Shore o Oneida Lake
I rabbit hunt with the beagles in Onondaga County and Hare Hunt near Lowville and scattered points between here and Inlet

Glad to see a bunch of NY'ers here

Life is but the memories we've created.....Sully Erna
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by FishinHank
I'll be hunting Seneca county for the gun opener.

Hank where in Seneca, I'll be in Wayne/Ontario area 8j
Ron

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
St Lawrence 6C around me the bucks haven't been real active yet, doe's still have their fawns trailing them.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Heading into Jackson Hill over in Boonville, Ava towns tomorrow morning. We have some snow accumulation there, going to be a cold one though.

Oscar Wilde~~
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I hunt around my place in Saratoga County. Also have a deer camp on a friend's land in the Duanesburg, Esperance area. Usually do well there. That's where I'll be opening week. I used to hunt in Wells a lot when I was younger. Always had to stop at the Seabiscuit Inn and visit with old Joe while up there. Loved to hunt the 'Dacks!

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

633 members (1234, 19rabbit52, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 66 invisible), 2,621 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,689
Posts18,456,528
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.