Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Costed me a 160 whitetail on my vari X 1!!!! Red flipper on the ocular broke off!! Any you fuuckin dummy buy any, you are waaaaaay worse than a leupold fan boy like myself. 😂😂

Let’s see if the whinnying crying salleys get creepy like the leupold whiners!!!

I did manage to rip it off and kill a good buck the same day, without tape on the muzzle, turrets, or a rangefinder.👊🏻😂😘

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Can't say I have ever seen the red open flapper button break on one, though I have seen several get the cap ripped off from rubbing on my pack, breaking at the hinge. They are also great at holding moisture in and fogging up the lenses.

The biggest con to them though is just having to quickly open the damn things with cold and excited hands. I have seen more SNAFUs and lost opportunities due to people dicking with scope caps than anything else.

I don't use them anymore and especially not the Butler Creeks.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I soured on them several years ago. Caps breaking at the hinge, especially if it's below freezing.

Nowadays I use the bikini style covers.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
I soured on them several years ago. Caps breaking at the hinge, especially if it's below freezing.

Yep,,, they ain't worth a rats ass,,,,,,

I tend to use more than enough gun
J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by waterrat
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

Yep,,, they ain't worth a rats ass,,,,,,

Yep I’m in Montana, stupid cold. Leupolds held up, cape didn’t. Time for a hater thread!!😂

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
The Buzzard Creek caps are pretty crappy. I like the Leupold Aluminas though.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Been using them for at least 30 years. I personally have never had them fail but I hunt in less than harsh weather just whitetail deer in Kentucky, Alabama, Georgia and other Southern states where it seldom gets really cold.

HeavyBarrel

" A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government"
G. Washington
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Sorry, but a child of three could study that concept and see that it’s fraught with peril, and not just the BCs. The kind that thread into the tube are worse. I had an 8x56 Hawke Endurance 30 that was pretty nice, and came with very nice thread-in aluminum caps, even came with little tools to install them. Tried it once, and it was a little tricky due to the fine threads, and I wasn’t crazy about dinking around with all that anodized metal next to 18-layer multi-coating, but I endeavored to persevere and got them on. Then I read the fine print which said, “DO NOT SHOOT WITH COVERS INSTALLED”. Seems you could put your eye out, Kid. WTF? I went through all that and have to undo it so I can shoot safely?

I have some BCs, now carefully stored in a drawer, so I won’t be tempted to use them. My vision is such that I need just a little correction at distance, and now most of my scopes stay focused for my vision wearing glasses. In the field however, glasses get fogged in cool weather, and I often have to remove them for a time and adjust the focus on my optics accordingly. Guess what that means with hard covers. With some Burris models, even changing the magnification means you have to adjust the rear cover.

Bikini covers are okay, but I’ve left them lying on the trail more than once, mostly Leupold (some would suggest I should’ve left the scope in them when I dropped them) and when you take them off, they’re another POS to put in a pocket and rattle around or fall out when you reach for something else. I do like them okay for storage and transportation in cases. That leaves neoprene covers, and those are my choice, especially the ones with tethers that keep you from losing them. They fold up nicely for for pocket carry, are less likely to fall out when you pull out your hanky, and don’t rattle. They also are more flexible for use on multiple scopes.

Trijicon includes both see-though bikini covers and neoprene covers, along with a lens pen, with their scopes.

What fresh Hell is this?
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Have spent more than a few hours attempting make clients Yuppie Flippie Uppie Butler Creek caps work properly….
It seems as though they can be distorted while being knocked around, compressed in a gun case, etc.

I used Uncle Mike’s QD scope covers for decades, currently using Scope Shield and Scope Guard neoprene covers. Still haven’t decided if I prefer the QD’s or the neoprene best.

Last edited by alpinecrick; 11/15/22.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
Probably will jinx myself, but I've used them for 30+ years and have never had a failure of any sort. Cold as hell here where I hunt too. Sucks to hear about the buck getting away though

IC B3

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I hate those flip up covers of every kind. If I was in a dusty desert I’d probably use them. I use the bikini covers and / or the neoprene full scope covers if it’s raining or snowing.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I've broken a few BCs, still like them plenty good. Most of mine have gotten broken being open in the pickup and either the dog runs into them just wrong or someone (me included) throws a heap of gear on top of an open one and breaks it off @ the hinge.

I"ve got a couple of Tenebraex obj. covers I use spun 90 degrees where BC was too thick for the bbl/scope-bell gap. A buddy has a set of Aadamount that seem quite robust but IIRC they were noisy to open.

The Leupold Aluminas are OK until the stop wears out and the cap starts banging against the scope, then it sounds like 2 skeletons fornicating upon a tin roof every time they're opened.

Last edited by horse1; 11/15/22.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I've used the Butler Creeks with no problems for many years. On the eye piece, I don't use the red thumb lever style, though...just a small diameter size like you use on the objective. They're quieter to open, too.

Good shootin' -Al

Forbidden Zoner
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I broke another BC flip-up this weekend, right at the hinge, when it got some side pressure. Still use them on a few guns, but have more bikini-style covers than anything else, be they the Butler Creek version, the Leupold factory version, or even a few of the old yellow-lens see-thru models. I'm mainly just trying to keep dust/debris off the lenses when in transit/storage.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by horse1
I've broken a few BCs, still like them plenty good. Most of mine have gotten broken being open in the pickup and either the dog runs into them just wrong or someone (me included) throws a heap of gear on top of an open one and breaks it off @ the hinge.

I"ve got a couple of Tenebraex obj. covers I use spun 90 degrees where BC was too thick for the bbl/scope-bell gap. A buddy has a set of Aadamount that seem quite robust but IIRC they were noisy to open.

The Leupold Aluminas are OK until the stop wears out and the cap starts banging against the scope, then it sounds like 2 skeletons fornicating upon a tin roof every time they're opened.

I hope that bit about the skeletons is supposition……

What fresh Hell is this?
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
It seems like the old ones are tougher than the newer offerings. My older ones have never broken, but the newer ones certainly do. They're still the best thing I've found to satisfy the need. Just yesterday in the pouring rain I flipped up the ones on my .416 scope to shoot a buck before he knew what was going on.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Yeah, they're cheap, but if it's raining or snowing they'll keep the lenses dry. Just don't open them unless you have to or it'll fog up. Never had one break though. I bought a set of Leupold covers that thread on for the Leupolds. They're nice and tight. I only use lens covers when its raining or snowing.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
No little red spring loaded buttons on my Butler Creek Blizzard caps, just two little black tabs at the 10 and 2 position that you lift with a finger. I’ll keep them down walking to my stand to keep the dirt out, but they are open unless there is snow or rain falling. Those see through clear windows in the caps would work in a pinch to shoot with, so if it wasn’t for that feature alone, I probably wouldn’t buy them.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Windfall
No little red spring loaded buttons on my Butler Creek Blizzard caps, just two little black tabs at the 10 and 2 position that you lift with a finger. I’ll keep them down walking to my stand to keep the dirt out, but they are open unless there is snow or rain falling. Those see through clear windows in the caps would work in a pinch to shoot with, so if it wasn’t for that feature alone, I probably wouldn’t buy them.

+1 exactly how I use them. Yes I've broken some, but they are cheap. I like not having to keep track of them when i flip them up. Unlike a bikini cover.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Judman
Costed me a 160 whitetail on my vari X 1!!!! Red flipper on the ocular broke off!! Any you fuuckin dummy buy any, you are waaaaaay worse than a leupold fan boy like myself. 😂😂

Let’s see if the whinnying crying salleys get creepy like the leupold whiners!!!

I did manage to rip it off and kill a good buck the same day, without tape on the muzzle, turrets, or a rangefinder.👊🏻😂😘

That's what comes of being a ham-fisted Washington goober laugh

I haven't had the red flipper break yet. The caps break at the hinges on mine first so far.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
680 members (1Akshooter, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 76 invisible), 3,091 guests, and 1,449 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,678
Posts18,399,550
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.