I began in response to someone mentioning Stephen King. I read him when young but his greatness became less and less apparent the more Classics I read.
I love Dickens and many others but my favorite 'modern' author is still Somerset Maugham who lived a fascinating life in a time where adventure was the norm.

A few of his works were done brilliantly on screen The original Razors Edge is a triumph with a cast that could not have been better picked or played.- the Robin Williams one - an utter waste. Both versions of Painted Veil are excellent and of course Of Human Bondage having Bette Davis and Leslie Howard (an unsung true hero) couldn't fail. Moon and Sixpense with the great George Sanders playing a pretty deplorable Paul Gaguin.......in truth a study of that character got me to thinking how much we are called upon to stay and sacrifice while we only get one life......

Sanders and Herbert Marshall played in one or more of his films and these guys are some of my favorite actors.

Guess not every nugget can be gold and the Magician for one is kind of week. I read Cakes and Ale and don't even recall it.... Still the guy had a terrific run and a rare feat of having s a few films worthy of carrying the feel and intent.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius