Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Outstanding! Especially considering the less than stellar weather.

"Aim right, squeeze light"
" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
BP-B2

673 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thank you all for the kind words. smile

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Our Pleasure, I am pretty sure we are all jealous lol

Happy eating my friend!

KB

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by KillerBee
Originally Posted by troutfly
Good stuff! Looks like some beautiful countryside. Some darn good eating there that has been hard earned.
Jeff

Hey Jeff, did you get to hunt any Mullies in southern Alberta this year?

Not this year. Between building pri points plus awaiting surgery on my shooting shoulder, I'm hunting birds with a light shotgun.
One of my boys killed a fantastic 6x6 elk just east of Suffield though.

I'm taking advantage of my "year off" to scout some new territory for next season. The areas I normally hunt have been ravaged by CWD now. Not seeing many large bucks in the areas around Medicine Hat like we used too. Sad state of affairs. My last mulie, a doe, taken 3 years ago came back positive. White tails for somer reason haven't been hit as badly, or so it seems. No monster bucks though, just little guys, maybe the odd 4x4. Population rebuilding maybe??
Jeff

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
That's just outstanding. Well played!

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Well done you 2 !!!

Gotta love that.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Good stuff! Looks like some beautiful countryside. Some darn good eating there that has been hard earned.
Jeff

The areas I normally hunt have been ravaged by CWD now. Not seeing many large bucks in the areas around Medicine Hat like we used too.
Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Suffield area has some tremendous Elk opportunities, probably the best in the province, don't know if it's as good as it was prior to the culling program a few years ago? Great to get a 6x6.

Just curious to know if the Government irradicated the Mullies in the zones you hunt in?

They did in the zone where I hunt with helicopters and shooting them, I was told, then two sever back-to-back winters further decimated the Mule Deer population. Where I use to see well over 100 Mullies a day, now you're lucky if you see more than 10.

I have had every deer tested for CWD since the testing became mandatory many years ago, not 1 tested positive.

Sad situation and poor deer management IMO.

Cheers ~

KB

E
ERK Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
E
Well done on the moose hunt. Still on my bucket list. Haven’t shot one since I lived in Alaska in the 70s. I could have killed a spike bull when I went to Alaska about 10 years ago but I let him walk. Edk

673 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ERK
Well done on the moose hunt. Still on my bucket list. Haven’t shot one since I lived in Alaska in the 70s. I could have killed a spike bull when I went to Alaska about 10 years ago but I let him walk. Edk
Yeah, an immature Bull.......here it is open for immature Bulls from Nov 1-15. We had a draw for "any Bull", but one of us could of shot an immature Bull (spike or 2pt on one antler) he would then have to sit out while the other hunter continued after the "any Bull".

So...if you see 2 Bulls and one is big and the other is an immature, it would be wise to pop the little one and continue after the "any Bull", the draw was for Nov 1-30. The little Bulls are hard to find, but they are out there. I have seen them quite large and at other times they seem small.
The Moose here are smaller than the ones up North and East of us here.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Atta boys !! Got to love them Tikkas---I've got one in 30/06----they're just good shooters

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Jeff

The areas I normally hunt have been ravaged by CWD now. Not seeing many large bucks in the areas around Medicine Hat like we used too.
Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Suffield area has some tremendous Elk opportunities, probably the best in the province, don't know if it's as good as it was prior to the culling program a few years ago? Great to get a 6x6.

Just curious to know if the Government irradicated the Mullies in the zones you hunt in?

They did in the zone where I hunt with helicopters and shooting them, I was told, then two sever back-to-back winters further decimated the Mule Deer population. Where I use to see well over 100 Mullies a day, now you're lucky if you see more than 10.

I have had every deer tested for CWD since the testing became mandatory many years ago, not 1 tested positive.

Cheers ~

Hey KB,
I actually work on the base as a contractor to the Canadian Armed Forces.
There are still some excellent elk opportunities on the base and, with the right owner access, around the perimeter too. The early years of the base hunt saw some very good animals taken for sure. The whole idea was to bring the numbers to a sustainable level. Now the hunt is in place to hold the numbers as stable as possible.
Yep, my son is quite happy with his 6x6. Got it exactly where I told him to look. Wish I had a tag.......lol

One of the areas I hunt mulies was where the initial CWD positive was killed. It was also on the AB gov list to cull heavily, which they did. Unfortunately, but, not unexpectedly either, the cull didn't work. Go figurer.....
The last time I hunted a certain property, there were skeletons of deer in many spots. It was eerie to say the least. This property was producing good numbers of large, 4x4 and up, bucks. The does were large and healthy as well. Now it is a graveyard. This was a year ago. I doubt I'll hunt deer there again as the land itself is CWD contaminanted. Damn shame the way it has played out. I fear for the entire eastern side of the province. Hopefully the elk will dodge the CWD bullet....
Jeff

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Jeff

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Cheers ~

Hey KB,
There are still some excellent elk opportunities on the base and, with the right owner access, around the perimeter too. The early years of the base hunt saw some very good animals taken for sure. The whole idea was to bring the numbers to a sustainable level. Now the hunt is in place to hold the numbers as stable as possible.
Yep, my son is quite happy with his 6x6. Got it exactly where I told him to look. Wish I had a tag.......lol

One of the areas I hunt mulies was where the initial CWD positive was killed. It was also on the AB gov list to cull heavily, which they did. Unfortunately, but, not unexpectedly either, the cull didn't work. Go figurer.....
The last time I hunted a certain property, there were skeletons of deer in many spots. It was eerie to say the least. This property was producing good numbers of large, 4x4 and up, bucks. The does were large and healthy as well. Now it is a graveyard. This was a year ago. I doubt I'll hunt deer there again as the land itself is CWD contaminanted. Damn shame the way it has played out. I fear for the entire eastern side of the province. Hopefully the elk will dodge the CWD bullet....
Jeff

I hear you; the whole situation disgusts me!

Maybe we should talk? I can put in for Suffield draw next year and if I win, you can join me and have half of the elk?

If you are interest, feel free to shot me a PM :o)

Cheers ~

KB

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Jeff

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Cheers ~

Hey KB,

Jeff

I hear you; the whole situation disgusts me!

Maybe we should talk? I can put in for Suffield draw next year and if I win, you can join me and have half of the elk?

If you are interest, feel free to shot me a PM :o)

Cheers ~

Interesting idea for sure. I know the area quite well. I think I have enough points to draw a cow, would have to check though. Still building bull points after a unsuccessful hunt a few years ago off the base. LOL, before I knew about the place I sent my son to.
I'll shoot you a PM later on.
Jeff

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
This has been a bad year for the elk, mine and a lot of my friends and family can say that their freezers are full too...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Man Shrap….

You found a freshly dead elk and a bow in the same place !!!

Man what a day !

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
673 - big congratulations on the successful hunt and family time with your son. Great memories.

A question on the snow - is that volume typical for that area this early?

Hugh
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by shrapnel
This has been a bad year for the elk, mine and a lot of my friends and family can say that their freezers are full too...

You guys are so lucky to have sooooooooooo many elk in the USA, our herds are dismal in comparison :o(

Congratulations on a great hunt, nobody is going hungry in your home this winter lol

Last edited by KillerBee; 11/15/22.

KB

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Hey Shrap, Looks like a great season for sure! Congrats.
Jeff

673 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by HughW
673 - big congratulations on the successful hunt and family time with your son. Great memories.

A question on the snow - is that volume typical for that area this early?
Thanks Hugh.

The snow.......about every 3-4 years it will really snow hard in early November, I have seen no snow at this time of year too. You never really can know for sure, but a guy could get snowed in if your not careful, which would be a disaster requiring a Cat, skidder or similar equipment to move a high volume of snow.

It is not just the volume of snow, rather the drifting of the snow that is deceptive...there may only be 12-16" but 3ft on the road somewhere, and if its on a hill then your in trouble, which is what happened to me 2 years ago. You gotta have chains and use them.

That Country will typically get 4-5ft by January, the elevation is around 5,000ft.

673 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Shrapnel
Nice haul of Elk, reminds me of when my FIL and myself came home with 3 bucks in the trunk of a Torino.

The Elk here are really starting to take off, hopefully it will continue too, if I don't hear gunshots at night there may be a chance.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
667 members (163bc, 06hunter59, 09wingates, 007FJ, 160user, 76 invisible), 2,681 guests, and 1,197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,605
Posts18,398,367
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.