Hop To
Page 5 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 15 16
C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
After you've been here for a while, you learn to "weed out the chaff".

When the "chaff" hunts the thick stuff, he'd rather have a boomerang trajectory boomenheimer, to leave big, leaky holes, rather than a laser beam, for bisecting those brushy holes & killing shyte !

It's a deer, if you can't kill it with a .243, or can't sign track an animal for 50 yards, kick it to death with your steel toed, brier bustin boots.
😂😂😂

BP-B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by RIO7
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

One weekends work with a .243, all DRT 1 did go about 10 yards backwards, I've posted this picture before, I've never had any trouble killing deer with a .243, I am not a fan of blood trails. Rio7
Jack rabbits ? LOL. I don't see many lung shots there. When you hunt them afoot in the woods like I do, you often don't get to put your bullet where you might choose and from the angle you'd prefer but rather you put it in the spot that is clear of obstruction from the angle that's offered.

That and a 40 yard death dash into a tangled hell of underbrush 25 minutes after sunset can make for a deer that's nigh impossible to find.

I'd put my money on RIO even though Blackheart "hunts them afoot." laugh
I took my .30-30 out over the weekend and put a couple groups on paper from 50 yards. The first 3 shot group measured 1 1/4", the second 7/8". Nothing spectacular from a rest but I was shooting off hand. Some people could no doubt do better. Most can't.
That's excellent shooting Blackheart. I have 10+ hunters every year and maybe 1 or 2 will hit a milk jug freehand at 100yds using a scoped rifles. I like to see everyone shoot before I let them hunt, easier to put them in the right spots for success.

Life is good live it while you can.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
After you've been here for a while, you learn to "weed out the chaff".

When the "chaff" hunts the thick stuff, he'd rather have a boomerang trajectory boomenheimer, to leave big, leaky holes, rather than a laser beam, for bisecting those brushy holes & killing shyte !

It's a deer, if you can't kill it with a .243, or can't sign track an animal for 50 yards, kick it to death with your steel toed, brier bustin boots.
A blood trail can be handy in sorting out which track to follow in places with lots of recent deer activity and hence lots of fresh tracks. Not often needed but sometimes helpful and more likely to be better with a larger caliber. Blood can also tell you the location of a hit and hence whether you should follow up right away or give it time. Particularly valuable information if you weren't there and are helping someone perhaps less experienced find their deer.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

IC B2

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
The 80 TTSX hammers deer and pigs in grandkids rifles. They don’t go far at all.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by RIO7

One weekends work with a .243, all DRT 1 did go about 10 yards backwards, I've posted this picture before, I've never had any trouble killing deer with a .243, I am not a fan of blood trails. Rio7
Jack rabbits ? LOL. I don't see many lung shots there. When you hunt them afoot in the woods like I do, you often don't get to put your bullet where you might choose and from the angle you'd prefer but rather you put it in the spot that is clear of obstruction from the angle that's offered.

That and a 40 yard death dash into a tangled hell of underbrush 25 minutes after sunset can make for a deer that's nigh impossible to find.

I'd put my money on RIO even though Blackheart "hunts them afoot." laugh
I took my .30-30 out over the weekend and put a couple groups on paper from 50 yards. The first 3 shot group measured 1 1/4", the second 7/8". Nothing spectacular from a rest but I was shooting off hand. Some people could no doubt do better. Most can't.
That's excellent shooting Blackheart. I have 10+ hunters every year and maybe 1 or 2 will hit a milk jug freehand at 100yds using a scoped rifles. I like to see everyone shoot before I let them hunt, easier to put them in the right spots for success.
I practice my off hand shooting all summer, 3 - 4,000 rds of .22 LR because that's how I shoot most of my deer. I had the highest off hand average in the league when I competed in 4 position small bore. I also shot the highest off hand score at the state championship match the third year I went. Like I said. Some people could no doubt do better. Most can't.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Kaleb
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
My bet is I'll kill more deer this season than alwaysadork, just like I have every season since before the goofy lookin little inbred troll was born. I killed my share with small bores, .222, .223, .22-250 and .243 long ago. I know what they do and what they don't do as well. It was fun and enlightening to see just how well they can work but if you can shoot something bigger just as well {and I can} they offer no advantage over something bigger. It's been about six seasons now since the last time I killed a deer with my .223 and the last one with my .243 was in 2013. They still get used for varmints but the .30-30, .30-06 and for the last 3 seasons the 6.5 Creedmoor are what go deer hunting.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
9 pages. In summary. The 243 Win. Some swear by it. Some swear at it.

God is pursuing you America ---turn around!
IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
If I'm able to get to the lease this weekend I'll take my 243. I have 95 grain Partitions loaded with a top charge of IMR 4451. They'll do.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would say if all the bullets used so far are from the same batch try another bullet. 6mm is plenty to put down a whitetail with good placement and proper bullet. My kids started with 223's and bonded bullets. When hit in the vitals those deer died quickly and with good blood trails, 243 carries at least twice the knockdown power. Load up some different bullets and see what they do, experimenting with loads is fun for me at least( not so much for the deer)

MM

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I’m going with bad luck! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
"Is the .243 adequate for deer?" Wow! Talk about a retro argument!

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Oldquailhunter, I admit that I haven't read all the pages of your thread, but having rambled around deer hunters in three states here in the Midwest, the most "the one that got away" stories that I've heard involved the .243 Winchester. A lot of guys outfit their young hunters with that cartridge, so it might be operator error in placement or a poor varmint bullet choice. That said, I've been on a soap box for a lot of years about the poor blood trails that I've experienced on deer and elk with a NP from a 7mm-08, .308, 7mm RM and .300WM. There was always a dead animal at the end of the trail, but I had too many anxious moments finding one in fading light with a sparse blood trail. The front end of a Partition is "soft" and yes, it blows the lungs into mush, but that front end folds back and what leaves you a blood trail is that smaller diameter folded back rear section going out the back side of the animal. I've gone to the Interlock, SST or Ballistic Tip after what I've seem with Partitions and TSX's and have experienced much better blood trails and faster kills.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
Although discontinued, the 100 grain round nose from hornady will drop a deer right where it stands. I handload this bullet for my daughter and they drop deer like a lightening strike!

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I was the main deer finder when one didn't go down in sight on a lease out near Guthrie TX. The main "shrub" there was called Shinnery which is a bush version of an Oak tree. Deer didn't have to go far to be hard to recover. By far most of the deer I went looking for were shot with a 243. What made hunting down deer less than a pleasure was the Prairie rattler. When I used a 243 out there I shot in front of the shoulder not behind it. There is much truth to both sides of the argument. I used the 85 grain Partion a good bit and it penetrated well but made narrow wound channels. Didn't matter much to me and I never lost any deer or hog shot with it.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I haven’t killed the numbers y’all talk about with a 243
But in the eight or so I have killed with one they were all dead within seeing distance
On the other hand , I’ve shot perfect heart and lung shots with 30-06 , 308 , 30-30 , 300win , 20 gauge accutip , 444 , and various ML bullets
And have seen plenty run out of sight
Some bled like stuck hogs , some I simply found by zig zagging and spotting it
Meaning no blood trail
There has been no magic bullet for me or caliber
Some times a deers heart and lungs can be mush and when you gut it you wonder how the hell did he run like that
One comes to mind in NOVA was an eight that walked up over a ridge with in 15yds of me and froze
I was able to shoulder the rifle and pop him in the shoulder quartered to me , big timber , no obstructions
He took a ducking hard right turn and bolted like a bat out of hell
With out even a kick
I thought WTH ?
Walked over there and looked and not a drop of blood
30-06 175gr VLD setting on 59 gr H 4350 if I remember right
Not absolutely sure about powder weight
Any way looked and looked , no blood
I knew it could be no way I missed
Started zig zagging in the direction I saw him run in
About 150ydz out I was about to go into a cedar thicket
Pulled my cell to call step son to come up and help me as it started ringing I raised my head and saw the outline of the tail about another 50 yds in front of me .
Walked over with rifle shouldered , got next to him looking all around still not a drop , Only thing was a trickle from the nose
Then I noticed a dark spot under the hide , a one little blood drop in it
Kneeled down and poked a finger in it and you could hear bone crunch and was mushed
Skinned him out at home and was a massive entry wound
You could stick your fist in
Heart and lungs were complete jelly no exit wound whatsoever
Thought the bullet had to have hit something
Checked shooting area next day , nope
Only reason I can figure it didn’t bleed from entry is something clogged it
Have had tremendous damage from all the other calibers mentioned and have had many that went in excess of 150 yds
Depending on animal
Depending fact that bullets do not always preform the same tells me there is no magic caliber
Kenneth

Last edited by Kenneth66; 11/16/22.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by Featherweight6555
Shoot thru that shoulder and disable the pump. Game over.
Pretty much. Pic has aiming point higher than I would want for a heart/lung shot but you get the point. Like I said, if they are within 100 yards and behaving I would be about 2" higher and to the right for an instant kill.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've shot truckloads of whitetails and mule deer with a .243 loaded with 100 gr. Partitions. It's the gun I started with and still in the lineup for rifle hunting deer, though I've fallen in love with the .260 Remington as well.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
Page 5 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 15 16

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
465 members (1Longbow, 160user, 300jimmy, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 257 mag, 45 invisible), 2,138 guests, and 989 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,596
Posts18,398,160
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.