Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft
I’m a meat hunter that really likes a nice rack on bucks and women

There I fixed it for you, you owe me...lol.mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
BP-B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Headhunter,'s are better hunters. They pass on many and in the process learn more about the game they hunt.
Imo, they have better equipment, are more fit, and take their shooting skills more seriously.
This is a generalization, but true in our region.
Trophy hunter's are not always in this category, it might be semantics, but in my opinion an animal is not a Trophy.
A superior " rack o' horns" is a sentimental keepsake and usually involves a hard earned, drilled in, memory.Far from the beaten path .
Especially, when you get the meat out and non spoiled. My little old point of view, folks.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Good for you 'Gruff !

To each, there own, though !

BTW, you do know it's not blood, right ?

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’m a meat hunter that really likes a nice rack

laugh laugh

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Read this Mate;

https://steakschool.com/learn/red-liquid-steak-plate-not-blood/#:~:text=What%20is%20the%20liquid%20coming,in%20muscle%20tissue%20called%20myoglobin.

It might help your mind process, what you are seeing, thus allow your thought process to change.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Originally Posted by Dave_Spn
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Guess I'm with Steelhead, too !!

Go you good neck roasts !

grin

Count me in !! I just ordered 2 of those sweatshirts for deer camp. smile love it

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by beretzs

We may be brothers.

Hahaha

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Read this Mate;

https://steakschool.com/learn/red-liquid-steak-plate-not-blood/#:~:text=What%20is%20the%20liquid%20coming,in%20muscle%20tissue%20called%20myoglobin.

It might help your mind process, what you are seeing, thus allow your thought process to change.

The thought of it being blood never bugged me, it's the cold wetness. ugh. Blood (or myoglobin smile ) is great as long as it's hot and salty

But I ate a piece of raw bacon the other day and damn it was good.

MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by beretzs

We may be brothers.

Hahaha

I passed a little 8 this morning after about a 1/2 mile track. Had him at 35-40 yards but man it is so much fun on snow it’s hard to wanna be done right away.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

I did start a fire to warm up cause that new snow in trees must’ve all ended up in my collar!

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

I’m a head hunter today. Tomorrow might be different though grin

Semper Fi
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great pics, Scotty!

That fire though - textbook!

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What is all that white stuff all over the ground?

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
judman: I enjoy the meat I get from Hunting - do YOU think that is rare?
If so YOU are wrong!
Had Goose jerky at lunch today and Elk salami sandwiches for dinner (the main Cook, the VarmintWife is out of town) tonight.
Had some Antelope backstrap steaks yesterday.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I'll be both Saturday morning for the WI firearms opener. Because of where my property is, zone 2 farmland, I received 6 antlerless tags along with my purchased buck tag. And back in the cedars, where I'll be lurking, there just incredible amounts of deer sign everywhere. I'm all out of venison, so hoping for a least a nice big doe to put in the freezer. I have a wall full of antlers, so if I shoot a buck, he'll need to be a dandy!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Good luck Dean!

Semper Fi
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Can I be both?

Camp is where you make it.
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Thank you beretzs, you too!

tzone, absolutely!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Contrary to what some say or believe, IMO, there really isn’t some type of bad feelings between these two types of hunters.

While they are ideologically different in what they each want in an animal. A meat hunter would almost certainly dump a 190 buck or 360 bull in a heart beat, if given the chance. The ‘chance’ is where our Meat Hunter tires hitting the road are different than a Head Hunters tires.

As Meat Hunters, we usually don’t give ourselves much of a chance, we’ll typically shoot the first legal animal we see, to a degree.

Head Hunters, at least for the largest part of the season are holding out for a predetermined size they want to kill ~ Anything under that size, get’s a pass. All bets are off the last day or two of their hunt. Some might take something smaller, some might not.

What is different between these two types of hunters, that I have seen, is the amount of preparation, self education, and time in the field during the off season Head Hunters spend to identify, study, and follow animals they have targeted to hunt.

They are constantly looking, consumed by maps, overlays of food/water sources, terrain, elevation, and accessible public land…It’s like they have a terminal illness. I think a more accurate description is an addiction. An addiction in pursuit of something special, and the reward in the end for the effort put into hunting the animal.

I for one, admire them for it. Especially, the Head Hunter who’s doing it on public land. (I’m not slamming a hunter who owns bookoo acreage that holds and produces animals with massive head gear) I may hate your ass, but that’s coming from a case of deep jealousy. Many of you actually hunt hard for those bigger animals.

For the many, as Meat Hunters, we don’t spend as much time preparing a hunt as a Head Hunter does, and we shouldn’t feel lesser for taking a legal animal for it’s food over it’s rack size. I can’t believe the amount of excuses we’ll make (I already made one) for shooting a forked horn (Western Antler Math being used) or a spike bull. Like a fork or a spike doesn’t rate as a worthwhile critter.

Here’s my feelings on the matter, as a Meat Hunter. If you can consistently get yourself, family or friends on legal animals each year to shoot. You’re a Rock-Star!

I have no idea what the percentage is for successful hunters versus unsuccessful hunters. But, I imagine the higher percentage would be for hunters unsuccessfully filing a tag. If you’re making meat or hanging horns on a wall, consistently. You are way ahead in the game of hunting.

In closing, to me, Head Hunters, you are the A team in desire and effort. It’s exciting and enjoyable to read about your hunts, knowing the hard work that you put into getting it done.

Meat Hunters, that continue to fill freezers for yourselves and family, hold your heads high, and shoot them Forky’s and Spikes with extreme prejudice.

Elk season starts for me Nov. 12th. As of this moment, we have a date with a nice spike bull. But I’d rather shoot a 7x7.

Good hunting to all!

🦫

My take on it.

We are meat hunters on whitetails. Won't ever shoot a big buck again unless its drop tines.

So no we wouldn't shoot a 190 per say.

But from that take we are VERY picky about what we shoot.

We certainly are not brown downers. We manage our deer just like our cattle. Only makes sense. Shoot what needs to go to make the herd healthier. We NEVER shoot promising bucks, young ones, even if its our only chance we just take a pass and go home without.

Wished everyone viewed it that way. Not only would you see better antlers but larger healthier deer as a whole.

So yep, meat hunters on whitetails, and actually quite a few other animals. Killing a big one just isn't that important anymore. But not just bang the first legal one we see. Far from that actually. In fact I think we hunter as hard if not harder than when we were after a big one.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Meat.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
One of the more enjoyable threads posted lately. I quess I would be considered a meat hunter. As I usually shoot the first legal, deer or elk I see. Lots of opinions here, I always seem to learm something on the fire.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I'm just a hunter, neither label fits me perfectly.

If the freezer is empty I'm going to fill it. If its full then I may hold out for something bigger just so I get to keep hunting.

As for moose anymore I shoot the first legal bull(any bull where I hunt) and hope its not a big one...

Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
781 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 87 invisible), 3,112 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,708
Posts18,400,128
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.