-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I hate them and i have 2 buddies that hate them worse because they watched me kill 2 bucks while they fumble with caps. I bet i have 40 butler creek caps laying around that i got on used scopes at gunshows. I use stetch covers on all of mine but nothing when hunting

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by srwshooter
I hate them and i have 2 buddies that hate them worse because they watched me kill 2 bucks while they fumble with caps. I bet i have 40 butler creek caps laying around that i got on used scopes at gunshows. I use stetch covers on all of mine but nothing when hunting

I'll take it! LOL

I love BC scope covers. Use them on everything I can.

LOL
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Love them. They are plastic and can break with use. I keep a stock on hand for when I destroy one.

Not sure how they are difficult to use and wonder what level of troglodyte has to “fumble” with them.

Yup.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Judman
Costed me a 160 whitetail on my vari X 1!!!! Red flipper on the ocular broke off!! Any you fuuckin dummy buy any, you are waaaaaay worse than a leupold fan boy like myself. 😂😂

Let’s see if the whinnying crying salleys get creepy like the leupold whiners!!!

I did manage to rip it off and kill a good buck the same day, without tape on the muzzle, turrets, or a rangefinder.👊🏻😂😘

In keeping with 24 HCF tradition . . . Even though I don't know a thing about how you use them or what you expect out of them, I will state that I've never once had trouble with them, and I absolutely will not believe that anyone else ever did, either. They do a tremendous job at keeping the dust off scope lenses in my safe. I must have 30+ pairs. Some have been in there, in my safe, on scopes for over 20 years! Can you imagine, 20 years of use in the safe without a problem, and then I have to read on the interwebs about how some whiny Philistine had trouble with one once. Unreal.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I just use the stretchy neoprene (?) covers
myself, like the Scopecoat kind. A couple are
the genuine branded article, most are the
far east copy.
Nary a problem so far. I usually have it off
while hunting, but if needed to be kept on
for some reason, it can be pulled off quick
enough and silently dropped and retrieved
after the shot or if the shot is passed.
Wad it up in a pocket or vest pouch until
needed.
Whatever works for you

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Judman
I did manage to rip it off and kill a good buck the same day, without tape on the muzzle, turrets, or a rangefinder.👊🏻😂😘

Video, or it didn't happen!

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
LOL, I’ve had many sets of Butler Creeks, and all have cracked and broke at the hinge. I only use Vortex Defenders now. The first Defenders I bought and put on back in 2016 are still on a bonafide, non safe queen, actual hunting rifle that has seen hard hunting and plenty of $hitty weather, and they’re still going strong. I’ll also admit…I tape them sumbitches on too! Only black or camo tape for me though!

Doc_Holidude

Livin ain’t killed me yet, but it’s workin on it!
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
They work for me. I tape them up pretty good. Backpacks can be rough on them though.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Have spent more than a few hours attempting make clients Yuppie Flippie Uppie Butler Creek caps work properly….
It seems as though they can be distorted while being knocked around, compressed in a gun case, etc.

I used Uncle Mike’s QD scope covers for decades, currently using Scope Shield and Scope Guard neoprene covers. Still haven’t decided if I prefer the QD’s or the neoprene best.

alpinecrick;
Good evening to you sir, I hope the day behaved more than less for you and you're well.

Like MontanaMarine my go to scope covers these days seem to be the bikini ones, though admittedly they're limited to not too, too big an objective.

My all time favorite are still these ancient Uncle Mikes that I've had for what has to be 35 years.

[Linked Image]

While I do have one set of the flip up caps from when they were still Butler Creek, I sort of quit using that rifle much anymore so haven't dragged them out into poorer conditions.

All the best to one and all and good luck on the remaining hunts.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 11/15/22. Reason: schpell czech broked

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Not directed at you Dwayne.

Not ever body treats their rifles like Stick does. I've never broken one and I fuggin hunt. If you can't figure out to keep the things closed when it's raining then yeah, you are probably going to have problems with moisture. If you open them anticipating using your rifle and they get wet inside, dry them off before closing. Takes forethought and all that, but jeez, you guys can string a sentence together right? You should be able to handle some simple scope covers.

Or maybe not! LOL

LOL
IC B3

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Yeah i got tired of hinges breaking on the Butler Creek lens caps years ago, I now use the Vortex Defender flip-up caps. they are much more robust and not one has broken yet, Good luck...Hb

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’m not sure how they are all breaking. Do you all walk around with them flipped up or something?

I’ve yet to break one, been using them 15 years at least.

Sean
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For me, I found that they easily get flipped up without me knowing it while the rifle is strapped to and rubbing against my pack walking through brush and whatever else. Then they break off at the hinge. A few times I suspect they got partially opened when bouncing around in a scabbard, then when I pulled the rifle out the partially open caps caught on the inside of the scabbard and broke off.

They’re a PIA to open with cold, numb fingers. The plastic also gets brittle in extreme cold and even when “working” fine in that cold any bumps side to side when the caps are flipped up easily breaks them off.

Maybe I am just rough on stuff. I dunno but I just don’t like them.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
For me, they often break at the hinge. That said, they work ok, are cheap, and are available. I still use a lot of them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The nice thing about the Blizzards is that you can leave them closed most of the time (avoiding most opportunities for them to break), even for quick, close shots.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I got tired of them break and went to tenabraex on most of my scopes when possible but more and more swapping to Aadlands. Not cheap but about 10x as durable as the BC’s and warrantied for life.

If someone breaks an Aadland cap while hunting they either got into a crazy rodeo and some human bones may have gotten broken or they simply tried to break them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
oh bullshit.....

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by huntsman22
oh bullshit.....

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
Rodeo?

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
"The nice thing about the Blizzards is that you can leave them closed most of the time (avoiding most opportunities for them to break), even for quick, close shots."

Yep, opaque covers are a joke. Clear ones keep out rain and dirt, and you can still see through them if a quick shot presents itself. If you have a few extra seconds, you can flip them open for a tad more clarity.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have Butler Creeks on a couple of rifles and like them the best of any of the scope covers I dislike.

Wish they still made Uncle Mike's, still my favorite. I break an average of one end or the other of BC covers per year.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

331 members (160user, 1lesfox, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 31 invisible), 1,508 guests, and 1,046 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,225
Posts18,447,643
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.