Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
"There is NO NEED to mess with the flash hole" ----- NOT my experience at all.

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Torch tip cleaners are the way to go.

Man and man's best friend still looking at the green side of sod.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Hot water has always worked getting 777 out of my Omega breech plug.

There's always hope as long as there's lead in the air.
J
Campfire Regular
Online Shocked
Campfire Regular
J
I use BH 209 and carry 2 drill bits and the largest torch tip cleaner that fits the flash hole. I cam make 20 25 shots and then pull the snake through and clean the plug. Anyone that wears out a plug by enlarging the flash hole, either does a lot of shooting or sits around in their lazy boy scrubbing the bejeezus out of their breech plug!

I also carry a spare breech plug and o ring's when hunting.

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Shoot Rio primers and you wont have near as much trash in the canal.

Last edited by srwshooter; 11/01/22.
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
soak it for a week in diesel fuel or fuel oil in plastic cup

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
All the talk about flash hole erosion is interesting. The best ignition of my inlines is my knight. The knight has a 1/8" or better flash hole. It ignites SOOOOOO much faster than my other rifles. The choke point in that gun is the nipple.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Soak in Seafoam overnight will melt the carbon. Good stuff.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by high_country_
All the talk about flash hole erosion is interesting. The best ignition of my inlines is my knight. The knight has a 1/8" or better flash hole. It ignites SOOOOOO much faster than my other rifles. The choke point in that gun is the nipple.

Newer Knight bare 209 primer plugs made by Lehigh have a 5/32 flash channel and the vent liner can be removed/replaced. So its less than $6 when the flash hole erodes past .035.

Again you are confusing the flash channel with the flash hole. If the flash hole was 1/8" you would be blowing primers. Kinda why i posted a pic because people confuse the 2 all the time.

Last edited by Overkill45; 11/16/22.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by pete53
soak it for a week in diesel fuel or fuel oil in plastic cup
Originally Posted by jmp300wsm
Soak in Seafoam overnight will melt the carbon. Good stuff.

Cant imagine why i would want to soak it in anything when i can clean my plugs spotless in a few minutes.

IC B3

V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
I use the drill bit and some very stiff pipe cleaners dipped in solvent (I use Blackhorn 209) to clean the flash channel. I poke out any large carbon in the flash hole with a needle of the appropriate size then use Superfloss (purchased at Walmart to clean teeth) again with some solvent on it to clean the flash hole without fear of enlarging it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
tag

Do or do not, there is no try.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by srwshooter

From what I have read elsewhere it’s the shotgun primer that produces the slag in a flash channel. Next year I’ll be using rifle primer adapters in our CVA Optimas if they are still available. The BH209 plug has a short flash channel but it still will clog. The flash hole choke point apparently keeps much of the burn afterproduct upstream of the flame.

As far as picking primer manufacturers that turned into a no go this year. I let the season sneak up on me without checking inventory. None available locally. Mrs shootem and I went into the season with 8 primers for both shooting and dropsies. Given lack of availability and dirty burning of 209s. I’ll be using
THESE
If at all possible.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
All of the trash in the canal comes from the dirty primers you use. Find some Rio primers and will see a big differentshttps://reloads-supply.com/product/rio-209-primers/

Last edited by srwshooter; 11/27/22.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shootem
Originally Posted by srwshooter

From what I have read elsewhere it’s the shotgun primer that produces the slag in a flash channel. Next year I’ll be using rifle primer adapters in our CVA Optimas if they are still available. The BH209 plug has a short flash channel but it still will clog. The flash hole choke point apparently keeps much of the burn afterproduct upstream of the flame.

As far as picking primer manufacturers that turned into a no go this year. I let the season sneak up on me without checking inventory. None available locally. Mrs shootem and I went into the season with 8 primers for both shooting and dropsies. Given lack of availability and dirty burning of 209s. I’ll be using
THESE
If at all possible.
Looking at the ones from Hankins Precision gun parts myself. He has a system he builds.

https://hanksprecisiongunparts.com/c/hankins-ignition-systems

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 11/27/22.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

665 members (12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 160user, 67 invisible), 2,444 guests, and 1,257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,627
Posts18,455,165
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.