Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
I recently acquired a T/C Hawken with open sights. Trying to find a factory peep for it. I don't want to drill & tap for another brand if I can avoid it.

Anyone have a spare or one they aren't using that they'd part with? SN: 3137XX.

BP-B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
They use to be plentiful before inlines took over. Not so much now You might try on the muzzle loader forum.

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/

or Frontier Muzzle Loaders.

https://www.frontiermuzzleloader.com/

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
They’re unicorns these days. Were never cheap, even when they were still being made. Now they’re like gold.

My solution is to buy the Williams WGOS designed to replace the TC barrel sight, then replace the blade with an aperture blade, with or without fiber optics. Don’t care for the FO front included, and have had a couple that weren’t good fits in the dovetail, so I replace them with a Skinner blade and paint it orange.

The barrel-mounted peep is plenty accurate, but perhaps not quite so fast as one closer to your eye.

What fresh Hell is this?
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
How much you willing to spend?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/234757291118

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Would you be interested in something like this vernier tang sight? New, never used.

Pretty sure I have a new T/C front globe also.

PM sent.

Attached Images
Last edited by old_boots; 11/17/22.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by old_boots
Would you be interested in something like this vernier tang sight? New, never used.

Pretty sure I have a new T/C front globe also.

PM sent.

Finally got tired of looking for the peep you are looking for and went with one like this. Works great and is easily adjustable if you feel like shooting longer ranges.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
I can't use a venier sight. Hard for me to use with my eyes. frown

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by LCHunter1
I can't use a venier sight. Hard for me to use with my eyes. frown
I had a TC peep on one of my Investarms. I really didn't like it. There were no problems at all with the Lyman 57SML I used on several rifles. A lot easier to adjust for different loads. I guess they can move around a bit if adjusted for extreme long range. That was a non issue for me. I have the Lyman on left and right hand rifles.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had two of those. I sold one to a guy I hunt with for lunch, and I am keeping the other. They are pretty nice rigs.

L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
I had a T/C .54 Hawken some years ago with the factory peep. I really liked the whole setup. Thought I'd never use it again so I sold it. Just decided to reenter the M/L arena again....

I liked the sight just fine, but didn't keep up with the times. Does anyone know whether or not my rifle's tang would require drilling an additional hole in the tang for a Lyman 57SML?

Thank you for all the replies.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
early Tc Hawken tangs had two screws. later had 3 screws with the two front holes spaced to fit the Lyman sight, or the Lyman sight was made to fit the TC. cant remember whether it was the chicken or the egg.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
For a while I had a TC receiver sight on a .58 Big Boar. The thing would hit me across the top of the thumb and cut me pretty good when shooting conicals and stiff loads of powder so I went back to the open rear sight. Not sure why I bothered with the receiver other than someone or other told me I should and I was dumb enough to listen. The TC open sights are probably the best I've ever used .. for my build, etc the bead perfectly fits the notch, and I mean **perfectly**.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I had a T/C .54 Hawken some years ago with the factory peep. I really liked the whole setup. Thought I'd never use it again so I sold it. Just decided to reenter the M/L arena again....

I liked the sight just fine, but didn't keep up with the times. Does anyone know whether or not my rifle's tang would require drilling an additional hole in the tang for a Lyman 57SML?

I'm pretty sure that the hole spacing for the TC sight, and the Lyman 57sml are both 1.25". If your tang is already drilled and tapped for the TC peep, the Lyman should fit.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I made a mount that attaches using the rear sight holes and put a mini red dot on mine. Looks stupid but it works great.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by benchman

I'm pretty sure that the hole spacing for the TC sight, and the Lyman 57sml are both 1.25". If your tang is already drilled and tapped for the TC peep, the Lyman should fit.
I am thinking this is correct.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I sold one on here about 2 years ago for $100. I can’t remember who !

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you search the net for "idaho Lewis" he's done this with available sights and simple mods.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Thanks for all the feedback! Very helpful.

Just learned something about the tang screws. They are wood screws. Should make the project much, much easier. Awaiting a sight as I write this.

Happy Hunting!

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I ran the TC hunting peep on my Hawken Silver Elite.
Had to D&T the tang, one hole.
The peep was kinda crude, but worked. I ended up quitting MZ and sold the peep.
Think they were 60 bucks new. Proly 3 times that now, if ya can find one. Ridiculous.

Just shot my rig today. Cold and windy, I had removed the rear sight to see about a weaver base and reflex mod.
Did not count clicks when I did it, so when I put sight back on guessed. Was close but needed a couple clicks up.

90gr FFg equiv, w 275gr Maxihunter........bashed my cheek both shots. Hate this friggin rifle.
Part of the reason I put it back in box 20 yrs ago. Need a taller front and a spacer for rear.
Kill a deer w it this weekend and forget about needing the mod, til I check zero next yr and get bashed again.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by T_O_M
For a while I had a TC receiver sight on a .58 Big Boar. The thing would hit me across the top of the thumb and cut me pretty good when shooting conicals and stiff loads of powder so I went back to the open rear sight. Not sure why I bothered with the receiver other than someone or other told me I should and I was dumb enough to listen. The TC open sights are probably the best I've ever used .. for my build, etc the bead perfectly fits the notch, and I mean **perfectly**.

I used to work with a guy who used one of those, big honkin’ conicals over a fistful of powder. Used to brag about the recoil. Then he had a stroke that almost killed him at about the age of 50 or so. Coinkydink? Maybe.

Why he felt those were needed for skinny Virginia whitetails I’ll never know.

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
798 members (163bc, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 78 invisible), 3,203 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,709
Posts18,400,156
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.