Print Thread
Hop To
P
pike3e Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
About five years ago I had a Remington 700 built with a shilen chrome moly barrel. I sighted it in and did some load development and put it in the safe since along with several other rifles. This fall I took it out to shoot the same loads and the bolt stuck closed. I got the case out and cleaned the barrel well. Followed with a round of factory ammo to make sure it wasnt the reload and the bolt stuck again. I brought it to the local gunsmith, he bore scoped it and he said the chamber is corroded and the barrel is ruined. The other guns in my safe do not show signs of rust or corrosion. Anyone else ever had anything like this happen?

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Can you wrench the barrel off yourself and look yourself?

The thing you need to look for is pitting. Were there "bright" scrape marks on the case you extracted? If so, that chamber is definitely done. You can't have a pit that concentrates pressure or has a stress point. Chambers need to have a smooth surface to keep pressure tension consistent through the steel. Maybe get some long Q tips or cotton swaps and see if the fuzz gets snagged, indicating a sharp edge, which is super bad.

As for the cause, hard to say. Could have been some leftover Sweets that cooked for all that time in the safe, some other cleaner where they warn you not to leave it. Or a spider.

There's a possibility you might be able to set back and re-chamber, but I'd not count on it if the pitting is bad enough to snag cases.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Look up BRUSH RESEARCH.
they make flexiable hones in every size.
Honing the chamber might fix it.
Amazon has them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Before I wrenched off a barrel or took full stock in the smith, I would spend 50-60 bucks for a teslong bore scope and look for myself.

Swifty
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Pull the barrel and you don't need a Teslong. If it is only the chamber which is pitted, it will probably be possible to set the barrel back and rechamber. This is dependent, to a degree, on the cartridge. A 270 Win., for instance, has enough body taper to clean up with just a little set-back. An AI cartridge, with minimal body taper, has to be set back much more. GD

IC B2

P
pike3e Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Its a 300 Winchester Mag, thoughts on rechambering?

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I would do a lot of cleaning on the barrel and chamber with brass brushes wrapped with steel wool or Big 45 strands along with Kroil before I gave up on the barrel. If the chamber is pitted beyond recovery, which I doubt, the minimal taper on the 300 Win Mag will complicate the set back option. I would consider going to 300 Ultra Mag. It will definitely clean the Win Mag chamber and the bolt face is right.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Did the 'smith say how the bore looks? If the bore looks acceptable and it's confined to the chamber, you might be able to get acceptable results with some work on your own. Or not. Hard to say in advance.

Did your local 'smith that looked at it do the barrel work originally?

Good shootin' -Al

Forbidden Zoner
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The 300 Win Mag does not have a lot of taper. If the pitting is significant, it might not be possible to set it back enough to clean up. As far as other remedial work is concerned, there are a lot of factors which influence what will or will not work. If the chamber is a minimum one (dimensionally), you can probably hone a couple thou or so and still be OK. If the rust has not seriously pitted the surface, you might get away with polishing with some 400 grit cloth.
You can reach a point where there may be a fix, but it is not economically feasible. GD

P
P
Teslong bore scopes are awesome.

Glad I never spent $1K on a conventional gunsmith scope.

Lesdicsics Of The World, UNTIE!
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
On the bore scope topic - which Teslong do you guys use? Rigid or flexible? and why? Looking at getting one and not sure which would work better for rifle barrels.

And do you have the one with the monitor or do you use your iPhone?

Thanks!

Last edited by AZtwins; 12/08/22.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pike3e
About five years ago I had a Remington 700 built with a shilen chrome moly barrel. I sighted it in and did some load development and put it in the safe since along with several other rifles. This fall I took it out to shoot the same loads and the bolt stuck closed. I got the case out and cleaned the barrel well. Followed with a round of factory ammo to make sure it wasnt the reload and the bolt stuck again. I brought it to the local gunsmith, he bore scoped it and he said the chamber is corroded and the barrel is ruined. The other guns in my safe do not show signs of rust or corrosion. Anyone else ever had anything like this happen?

NEVER.

May qualify as a red flag offense if you didn't clean it before storage.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by AZtwins
On the bore scope topic - which Teslong do you guys use? Rigid or flexible? and why? Looking at getting one and not sure which would work better for rifle barrels.

And do you have the one with the monitor or do you use your iPhone?

Thanks!

I got the flex, easier to store/transport. I use the monitor version, works great.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Rigid plugged into my Mac.

60+ year old 722 244 shot so liittle you can still see the drill marks.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by ElkHtrNevada; 12/08/22.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the info!

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
Did the 'smith say how the bore looks? If the bore looks acceptable and it's confined to the chamber, you might be able to get acceptable results with some work on your own. Or not. Hard to say in advance.

Did your local 'smith that looked at it do the barrel work originally?

Good shootin' -Al

^^^^I would try throwing $50 at a flexhone and lightly polishing the chamber before junking the rifle. Unless you really want to rebarrel it.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
571 members (219 Wasp, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 55 invisible), 2,363 guests, and 1,098 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,597
Posts18,398,204
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.