Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I know I'm late to the party here, but thought I would add some info on hand primers I've purchased and used. Like many, I used a Lee hand primer, until it broke. And like some others, I then tried some other hand priming tools, and eventually went back to Lee. The first Lee hand primer worked fine, until it broke. I eventually realized what would make me happy is to have a hand primer like my Lee. I ended up with a newer model that predated the Auto Prime, and also purchase several original Lee hand primers, that I've given to other reloaders I've intro'd to reloading. There's nothing wrong with just getting another Lee. I also tried others in between. As others have Stated, both the Sinclair hand priming tool, and the 21st Century hand priming tool let you know from the very start to the very end that they are at the pinnacle of quality. I still have them both, but single feeding primers prevents them from being my everyday hand priming tool. Also, like others, I purchased and used the Hornady hand priming tool. If I disliked you immensely, I would not give you the Hornady hand priming tool. I mean disliking you is one thing. But giving you a reason to dislike me in an equal amount - I just can't do that. Don't even think about the Hornady hand priming tool. This one tool put everything branded Hornady into a hesitant category, it really is too bad because I don't dive into Hornady stuff at all ever due to the hand priming tool My issue was primarily fail-to-fire reloads due to improper priming. I never had fail-to-fire with Lee. I've never tried the RCBS hand primer. When younger, my hands were extremely strong. Came from picking up 70 lb blocks with just finger strength thousands of times a day. But as I've aged, my fingers are not that strong any longer. Because I like to try things, I'm trying bench mounted priming tools. Not very far down that path, but I recently purchased the Forester bench mounted priming tool, and I have purchase and waiting for arrival of a CPS tool (Competition primer Seater). I would have preferred to try an RCBS Bench mounted tool when I purchased the Forester, but the Forester was available locally. I'm sure I will purchase the Lee Auto Bench prime tool too as I like to try many of options when it's not that expensive to do so. So far, the Forester works well, it's earned a positive review from me, but not at the expense of trying other options just to see what they are like too. Bench priming as a whole - is putting hand priming in the rear view mirror. I'm not for certain how much hand priming I will do after starting down the bench primer tool part. No sore hands, even when I prime several hundred in one sitting. And - repetition seems to improve my feel in using the tool successfully. I'm really optimistic about the primal rights CPS bench priming tool. Can't wait for it to arrive. It may be the tool that retires all others. We'll see when I get it. In addition to limited hand strength needs, it retains multiple primer capacity, and also has adjustable primer seating depth. It might be all anything else is, and more.

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I tried the Hornady, was not a fan.
I have several things 21Centery makes and all are top quality.
I do not have one of their priming tools, but if I needed one, I would sure not be afraid to buy one

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I've used the RCBS hand primer for a very long time. In fact, finally wore out the LR plastic insert the shell holder sits on, one of the petals broke off. Still works... but... A casual search has yet to find a replacement part and a call to RCBS is in order.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’ve got a 21st Century en route, and will compare with my Sinclair once it arrives.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If anyone has an old style lee hand prime with a broken thumb lever and would like to sell please send me a pm.

God Bless America
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
I've used the RCBS hand primer for a very long time. In fact, finally wore out the LR plastic insert the shell holder sits on, one of the petals broke off. Still works... but... A casual search has yet to find a replacement part and a call to RCBS is in order.

RCBS may or may not have those parts, as I was told at one time that they didn’t keep the molds for plastic parts. So if stock is empty they are no more.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Swifty
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
I’ve got a 21st Century en route, and will compare with my Sinclair once it arrives.

Do you get the final word ?

I'll save you the trouble there will be no comparison.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have several of the old Lees, the RCBS Universal, a Lee Bench unit, one or two old Lee “single shots” like the ones that came with the Target loaders, and maybe a Sinclair someplace. Use the Lee Bench mostly now as it’s easier on my hands. The RCBS Universal occasionally lets small cases like the Hornet pop out of the shellholder and also the tray covers snap into place hard enough to flip primers, a major PITA.

Lee has been warning about Federal primers for years, first in the old hand units, and even now in the Bench Prime, which you’re only supposed to load with 20 at a time IIRC. I still keep one each of the old models handy for quick use and have a whole slew of shellholders.

What fresh Hell is this?
F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
I ended up getting the Franklin Armory unit. I am going to prime a large volume of cases next week and test it out.

I have large hands and this fits me perfect. It feels really good in action. It is clearly much better made. It is much larger and heavier than the Lee and Hornady and I think this would be a handful for normal sized hands.

It is clearly a better design than the Lee and Hornady hand held primer tools I have experience with.

My verdict so far is that it is superior to the Lee and Hornady in every way. Having not used it yet I can't
say anything about its viability in actual use.

The Sinclair and Century are super interesting and most likely the best, but with the volumes I do I don't want to mess with single shot primer feed and prefer the auto feed tray design.

Have loaded thousands of primers of all sizes with the Lee Auto prime for decades with zero issues until it broke, I will have fond memories of that tool.

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Big Stick
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

The Lee units are fhuqking Dog Schit. Hint..............

Pappy I take it you missed the Lee Primer review a page or so back....

IC B3

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
The only exposure I've had to Frankfort Arsenal tools is to check out their cheaply made Chinese copy of the Forster Co Axe press that my buddy bought and to look at their cheaply made tools at the local Bass Pro Shop.

No way I would buy any of their Chinese tools......in my opinion until Frankford Arsenal came on the scene Lee Loaders held the title of Harbor Freight of handloading tools award.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by LFC

Do you get the final word ?

I'll save you the trouble there will be no comparison.
I’m flattered, but have no desire for the “final word.” Another data point, is all.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by FSJeeper
The Sinclair and Century are super interesting and most likely the best, but with the volumes I do I don't want to mess with single shot primer feed and prefer the auto feed tray design.
I have owned and loaded thousands of primers with the various Lee units, Sinclair, Frankford Arsenal, etc., and the whole complaint about single feeding is largely an imagined problem more than a real one. With a primer tray and proper technique, I can prime cases about as fast with my Sinclair as with my Frankford. The quality and feel sensitivity of the Sinclair makes up for the tray on the Frankford, speaking strictly in terms of production volume.

F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by FSJeeper
I have owned and loaded thousands of primers with the various Lee units, Sinclair, Frankford Arsenal, etc., and the whole complaint about single feeding is largely an imagined problem more than a real one. With a primer tray and proper technique, I can prime cases about as fast with my Sinclair as with my Frankford. The quality and feel sensitivity of the Sinclair makes up for the tray on the Frankford, speaking strictly in terms of production volume.

Jordan, that is good information. If someone went the single feed route over the tray, which would be the best choice if any, the Sinclair or Century?

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by JPro

+1 on this one
The FA is decent, but not the same build quality as the Sinclair.

I'm gonna have to give the Sinclair a shot if it is better quality than that FA. The FA is a tank and I like the adjustable seating depth. Once set properly, there's no need to "feel".

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just about worn out two hand primers.

Gonna go with single press feed.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by LFC
Originally Posted by Big Stick
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

The Lee units are fhuqking Dog Schit. Hint..............

I take it you missed the Lee Primer review a page or so back....

Sweetheart,

You are the one asking question,not I and you are in wayyyyyyy over your pointy head with a simple sizing die. Lee is absolute fhuqking Dog Schit,as I plainly cited. Hint.

Pardon my being afforded the luxuries,of not being forced to guess. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
That's okay....be happy with your Harbor Freight Chinese priming tools.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sweetheart,

I simply shoot results and you've never even "seen" a Sound Rifle,let alone shot one and are simply talking out your ass. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i needed to order a few things and i took a look at the Frankford Arsenal primer hand tool i was impressed so i ordered the kit , looks good to me.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

273 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 257 mag, 1eyedmule, 2UP, 300jimmy, 24 invisible), 1,452 guests, and 905 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,061
Posts18,463,321
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.