Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
I pick this magazine up mostly for the articles from Muledeer and SDH...really enjoy them. I bought the newest Nov/Dec today and checked out the normal sections. I was pleasantly surprised to see the story, "The Kodiak Connection" by Dan Peterson AKA ruffedgrouse, contributor here on 24 Hour Campfire. Great story of a lifetime hunt with his son from a great guy! Way to go Dan.

BP-B2

O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Read it too.

Great trip, great memories and a good write up.

Congrats on the bear!

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Good article that I really enjoyed. No idea he was a member here

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Kellywk

Anybody who's anybody is a member here.

Mathew 22: 37-39

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by cra1948
Originally Posted by Kellywk

Anybody who's anybody is a member here.

Yeah, just ask John Burns.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
IC B2

S
SDH Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Glad to hear that you enjoy the stories! I surely enjoy researching, shooting the photos and writing them. Upcoming columns will feature an Alex Henry hammerless double rifle, a very sophisticated custom Savage 99 and the M-94 Carbine.
SDH

SDH

L
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
SDH- I think my favorite was article on your pet No 3 conversion in 30-40 K. That is a lovely rifle in a great round!

S
SDH Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I took the custom sidelever #3 to Namibia for plain game and killed five animals with 5 shots including a large Kudu and a Mountain Zebra. It has also accounted for a number of Whitetail, Mule deer and Pronghorn in Montana over the years.
Last year I was fortunate to buy, at auction another custom .30-40 from a client's estate. It is an iron sighted High Wall I completed about 1992 and remains in excellent condition. .30-40 is my favorite cartridge for single shot rifles.

SDH

L
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Yes, I recall you writing about you liking the Krag round. I thought about buying a No 3 in that round but after seeing pics of your conversion, knew I would never be satisfied with the stock rifle. smile Will look forward to the 99 and 94 article. Happy Thanksgiving.

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Keep "loony."

Anyone who doesn't like it can write their own articles and use whatever name appeals to them.

I really get tired of all this politically correct crap.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SDH
I took the custom sidelever #3 to Namibia for plain game and killed five animals with 5 shots including a large Kudu and a Mountain Zebra. It has also accounted for a number of Whitetail, Mule deer and Pronghorn in Montana over the years.
Last year I was fortunate to buy, at auction another custom .30-40 from a client's estate. It is an iron sighted High Wall I completed about 1992 and remains in excellent condition. .30-40 is my favorite cartridge for single shot rifles.

I like your articles on Sharps and George Daw shotguns…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
S
SDH Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Hey Kirk, I did not get a chance to photograph your Sharps 77 but still want to. I'll give you a call when I'm back in town. Good shooting with the 25-35 on that nice mulie~~SDH

SDH

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Sports Afield is the best magazine out there in my opinion. And the first things I read are MuleDeer's and SDH's articles. Then I get to read them a couple more times as I go through the magazine.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Bruce: thanks for the kind words about my Kodiak article. As I said in the article, I was greatly blessed by the Lord to have such an experience with my son. I suspect few people get to go on a Kodiak brown bear hunt, much less with their son. Been to Alaska hunting now 5 times and each time the thought goes thru my mind "if only my friends who hunt could experience this."

L
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
You are welcome, Dan. Proud to know you through the Fire.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by ruffedgrouse
Bruce: thanks for the kind words about my Kodiak article. As I said in the article, I was greatly blessed by the Lord to have such an experience with my son. I suspect few people get to go on a Kodiak brown bear hunt, much less with their son. Been to Alaska hunting now 5 times and each time the thought goes thru my mind "if only my friends who hunt could experience this."

Alaska has that impact on some of us.

It was so awe inspiring to me, and I come from Washington which is a beautiful and rugged state itself with big mountains, that I knew I had to live there someday. I dream about getting an opportunity like you had so I’ve laid the groundwork for an eventual move and bought property. My son and daughter and I are beginning to talk about doing a boat based bear hunt in SE once I get my Trawler up north.

I envy your ability to hunt the “good stuff” with your son and I wish for you many more chances to spend quality time afield with your son.

That was a great read regarding your hunt with your son and I look forward to more of your stories in the future. 👍🏼

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
mr. AceN: thank you for your kind words. A boat-based hunt is a great way to hunt: I did it a few years back: not for brown bear but a black bear. An old college friend who lives up there has a son with a halibut boat. We went off of Homer on one of the bays (Kachemak Bay I believe). We spotted bears from the boat and then hiked up the mountain. And of course you don't need a guide for black bear even if you're a non-resident. Gorgeous scenery and LOTS of bears: black bear season is year around: at least it was the last time I looked. Sounds like you are well on your way. If there is any info that I might help you on, feel free to send me a PM. I'm no expert, but glad to share what I've learned.

Dan

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Speaking as a son who never got to share an experience like that with my Dad, I'd say you're both lucky men. Thanks for sharing your story.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
668 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 10ring1, 12308300, 74 invisible), 2,748 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,644
Posts18,399,051
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.